Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510

MikkoH is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510

Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510

Ever since I got my e-510 I've been wanting a portrait/battery grip because I take a lot of vertical photos. Unfortunately, Olympus doesn't offer a battery grip option, nor are there any connections for a grip in the battery compartment. But thanks to the Taiwanese company Ownuser, there is a battery grip available. It's great that these kind of innovative 3rd-party manufacturers exist that make accessories which are not available from the camerabrand itself.

I ordered the more simpler (and cheaper) version of the grip, BH-E510, from enjoyyourcamera.com which is located in Germany. Unfortunately the grip stopped working, so I contacted Ownuser directly via email. The responds were quick and informative and finally they asked me to send the grip to Taiwan and they would send me a brand new BH-E510R, the one with a built in IR-receiver and a -remote. I was quite happy with their customer service. So, the BH-E510R arrived about a week ago and I took it with me on a trip to Lapland for extensive testing :

The first thing you gotta do when attaching the grip to the camera, is to take off the e-510's battery door. It comes off with just a little pulling, no unscrewing or anything like that neccesary. Then clip it on to the grip so it doesn't get lost and then just screw the grip on to the camera's tripod-screw.

Ergonomics and built

The grip is made of good quality plastic (though not on par with e-510's plastic) and doesn't feel cheap or weak. Due to the design of the grip, it feels and looks allmost like a solid part of the camera. The top of the grip follows the curves of the bottom of the camera making it sturdy and clean looking. The finishing of the grip is not the same as e-510's, which would have been cool. There are 2 points for attaching straps in the bottom of the grip. I really, really would have liked to have leather(/rubber?) on the front of the grip, it would have made the grip feel even much better. At the moment, the lack of leather on the grip makes it a bit slippery and leather would have added the needed friction between grip and ones hand. Ergonomics are great with the grip on the camera, it makes the whole camera just the right size for my hands and has great balance especially with larger/heavier lenses like the 12-60 and 50-200 zuikos.

Operation

The grip has two shutter buttons for vertical shooting, one for right hand and one for left hand use. For some reason I really dont like the positioning of the right hand shutter button (the one on the front of the grip), I think a better place for it would be on the right side of the grip like on the Olympus grip for e-3. Half press for autofocus works perfecfectly. The buttons dont feel as good as the shutter button on e-510, but not bad either.

Because e-510 doesn't have connectors for a battery grip, the buttons work through a connector on the usb-port of the camera just like a wired remote. I don't think the usb-connector gets in the way too much, nor does it make pressing the ISO-button noticeably harder. But it does mean, that using the usb-port for other things like transferring images to the computer means you have to take the grip's connector off. It would have been great to have an extra usb-port on the grip itself.

There are two switches on the sides of the grip the one on the left is a AA-CR-V3/DC -switch and the one on the left is used to switch the shutter buttons on/off and to switch the IR-receiver on. There are also ports for a wired remote and a dc-adapter. The grip takes two Olympus blm-1's as one would expect. The battery door is exellent, it's impossible to open by accident and can be opened even when the camera is on a tripod.

IR-remote

The difference between the BH-E51 and the more expensive BH-E51R is the infrared-shutter release possibility which the latter has. The BH-E51R has built in IR-sensors on the front of the grip aswell as on the back of it which is very usefull. The lag of the Ownuser remote is shorter than Olympus' own RM-1 IR-remote and I was able to release the shutter with the Ownuser remote from a 14m distance from the camera. The remote also has a nice 10 second self-timer button on it.

Conclusion

Overall I really like my BH-E51R and dont regret buying it at all. It's a great accesory and so far the only battery grip option for e-510. As for the price, I feel it maybe a bit overpriced because of it's monopoly position. At the purchase price of it (100€ for the BH-E51) I would have liked to have leather on the grip and perhaps a dial too or a dc-adapter included in the package. So there are a few things that could be improved in the possible next version, but overall it's great allready as it is and a great add-on for the e-510 that I can easily recommend.

Pros:
    -A well designed battery grip for a camera that was never ment to have a battery grip option. Just the right size and weight. Takes 2 blm-1's
    -Gives that rugged pro feel and look
    -Balances the camera with larger lenses.
    -2 shutter buttons
    -DC and wired remote ports.
    -excellent battery door.
    -IR receiver on the BH-E51R -version
    -2 points for attaching straps on the bottom of the grip

Cons:
    -The positioning of the right hand shutter release button.
    -No leather/rubber
    -Makes the usb-port harder to get to for other uses, because you have to take the connector off. Perhaps an extra usb-port on the next version would be nice?
    -Perhaps a bit pricey
    -No dials
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510-yleis.jpg   Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510-takaa.jpg   Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510-edest%E4.jpg   Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510-laukaisimet.jpg  

cifcap is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Jesse

Default Re: Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510

Excellent review and it actually looks quite good on the E-510. I'm glad a 3rd Party makes gear like this for Olympus too. I've skipped all of the bodies since the E-300 since I can't use my AC-1 adapter nor do they have a grip (amongst other things) save the E-3 and E-30. Thanks for your post!
    Jesse

Camera
    Olympus: E-300/14-45/14-54/40-150/35/FL-50/EX-25/EC-14/HLD-3/ME-1/RM-CB1
    Sigma: 70-200

Lighting
    Olympus: FL-50
    Altman: 650 watt Fresnel
    Smith-Victor: (2) 720SG, (1) 710SG focusing floodlights
    Interfit: (2) 500 watt Stellars
    Westcott: (2) TD-5 Spiderlites

Photos
    http://s480.photobucket.com/profile/MetalHalide

Ravenwing is offline Supporter
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks for the review. I have one of these on the way for my E-520, will add my thoughts when I've had it for a while. Hoping the Oly grip strap from my E-1 will fit it??
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

pmbpro is offline 4/3 Fan
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Excellent review! Thanks for that. I agree with you on all of it. I literally just got mine (the IR version) a week ago and love it overall.

I feel the same way about the right-side shutter button too. IMO, I think they should have placed it right on the side, just like the left button is (so when you rotate it, it's actually on "top"). I like to push *down* on the shutter button, not "pull in", which is what I feel like I'm doing when I use it.

Feedback Score

Thanks for all the replies. This must be the longest thing I have ever written in english

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwing View Post
    Thanks for the review. I have one of these on the way for my E-520, will add my thoughts when I've had it for a while. Hoping the Oly grip strap from my E-1 will fit it??
    It should if it's long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by pmbpro View Post
    Excellent review! Thanks for that. I agree with you on all of it. I literally just got mine (the IR version) a week ago and love it overall.

I feel the same way about the right-side shutter button too. IMO, I think they should have placed it right on the side, just like the left button is (so when you rotate it, it's actually on "top"). I like to push *down* on the shutter button, not "pull in", which is what I feel like I'm doing when I use it.
    Exactly how I feel, I just couldn't put it down to words. It really feels like pulling in the button especially because I'm used to push the shutter button with the joint of my finger rather than the tip of my finger.

Petephoto1 is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thumbs up Re: Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510

Mikkoh , great review . cheers Pete
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

GreKom is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for great review. I also just got mine, and the camera holding and handling just got perfect.

About the right button... First I have to remember I have it

I just catched myself jesterday that I was still shooting with original button in portrait mode I guess I just have to get used to it, or to put some Postit on the camera saying... "Hey stupid... You have a grip now! Use the other buton"

Mmmmm BTW, a friend is also using it, and he said, that when not using the camera the grip drained his batteries. Can you say more about that?
    Why photographers can't sleep - http://www.retouch.si || Visit my new Slovenian forum for Oly lovers... www.oly.co.nr

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I can say that I've had mine for about a month now, and just today I'm charging the first set of BLM-1's that I put in it. And it still wasn't showing that it needed a charge, I just didn't want to get caught with it going dead. Havn't noticed any discharge when not in use at all.

Edit: Although I have heard of this problem with an earlier version (mine is the one for the E-520, with remote included). Reportedly, Ownuser was good about correcting the problem, you might want to suggest your friend contact them.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

GreKom is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for prompt answer. I will see how it develops in few weeks of use.
    Why photographers can't sleep - http://www.retouch.si || Visit my new Slovenian forum for Oly lovers... www.oly.co.nr

Feedback Score

I don't think that the draining problem exists anymore with the new grips. When I was going to order my grip for christmas, I noticed they werent available anywhere. I guess they were pulled back by Ownuser because of draining problems. Then a couple of weeks later the grips were back on sale again and atleast I havent had any draining. Tell you're friend to contact Ownuser, they are wery helpfull.

thebinaryman is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

A thought just crossed my mind. Does anyone know how this will hold up in rain?
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Petephoto1 is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Mark , ( glad you posted your name tend to forget) good question, not only rain but static electricity for any of these devices ? Cheers Pete
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Just a WAG on my part, but I would think it would hold up at least as well as the 510/520 itself, it not being weather sealed. I'd tend to worry more about the camera than the grip.
    Nate

thebinaryman is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwing View Post
    Just a WAG on my part, but I would think it would hold up at least as well as the 510/520 itself, it not being weather sealed. I'd tend to worry more about the camera than the grip.
    True, but the interesting thing is that I just recently shot with my 510 in the rain. It actually help up OK and had no problems (I tucked it under my jacket in between shots). The camera was dripping wet everywhere though. I'd hate to attach the grip and find that the grip is at fault for destroying the camera, but I guess it would be smart to remove the grip before shooting in the rain.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Stetr24 is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I just ordered one of these grips for my 510 and can't wait for it to come in!

To solve the leather on the grip issue, I think I am going to attempt to purchase adhesive backed vinyl that can be cut to fit the curves of the grip. Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pebbl...QQcmdZViewItem

It looks almost the same as the texture on the body and I think it would be a fun little project. I don't want the camera to fall out of my hands if I start to get sweaty.

Ooo, this stuff looks even better...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-x-SHEET-BLACK-...3286.m63.l1177
    Name's Trevor, feel free to check out my various sites!
    Celerity Photography / Flickr / Facebook / Twitter
    E-5 w/HLD-4 / 2xE-510 w/Ownuser BH-E51R / 9-18mm / 14-54mm MKI / 50-200mm MKI / Sigma 30mm f1.4 / 2xFL-50
    (5) Sunpak 433D / Cybersyncs / Cokin Z-Pro U960 Kit / Manfrotto 190XB w/ 486RC2 Ball Head

RAH
    RAH is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MikkoH View Post
    There are two switches on the sides of the grip the one on the left is a AA-CR-V3/DC -switch and the one on the left is used to switch the shutter buttons on/off and to switch the IR-receiver on. There are also ports for a wired remote and a dc-adapter. The grip takes two Olympus blm-1's as one would expect.
    Very interesting review. I do have one question concerning the batteries, which I have never been able to get a straight answer on - does this grip allow you to use 4 AA batteries instead of the 2 BLM-1s? The switch you mention implies this, and their website kind of says it - I think they have adapters for sale, or maybe they come with it? But I've never been totally sure. It would be nice to know one way or the other.
    Rich
    E-520; 9-18mm; 14-42; 14-54 MkI; 35; 40-150; 18-180; 70-300; EC-14; EX-25; FL-36R

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    ...does this grip allow you to use 4 AA batteries instead of the 2 BLM-1s?
    Yes it does. There is a battery pack that hold 6 AA's which is external to the grip. You can see the pack in detail here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ownuser-Battery-...d=p3286.c0.m14
    E-5 w/HLD-4 / 2xE-510 w/Ownuser BH-E51R / 9-18mm / 14-54mm MKI / 50-200mm MKI / Sigma 30mm f1.4 / 2xFL-50
    (5) Sunpak 433D / Cybersyncs / Cokin Z-Pro U960 Kit / Manfrotto 190XB w/ 486RC2 Ball Head

RAH
    RAH is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

OK, thanks. I guess I was thinking that maybe you could use FOUR AAs in the grip itself without that external battery pack, via some adapters, but it seems not. Still pretty nice!
    Rich
    E-520; 9-18mm; 14-42; 14-54 MkI; 35; 40-150; 18-180; 70-300; EC-14; EX-25; FL-36R

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Yeah, the first model had the little packs that you could use pretty much anything in, but I think new model is better because the back is smoother and not as tank-ish looking.

marcot64 is offline Abstract member
    Feedback Score

Looking to purchase this item.
    Was wondering now that the people have had a chance to use them over a longer period of time if they still have the same positive impressions of this grip?

Any input would be appreciated.
    "The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brooks Atkinson
    E510, 14-42, 40-150, 35 macro

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcot64/

Vandy is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score

Wink Re: Ownuser battery grip BH-E51/E51R for e-510

Yes, I'm in the same boat. I would like to here from some longer time users of this item. There seemed to be a battery drain issue, how is that going? Thanks for your time for this thread.
    Cheers, and God bless
    Marc VanderArk
    Please, comment on my blog and image sites:
    http://mrvphotography.wordpress.com/
    http://mrvphotography.zenfolio.com/

Julio is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Also, I shoot with my left eye. Does the protruding USB thing-a-ma-jig bump against your nose, or does it make it awkward somehow? Thanks.
    JULIO

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marcot64 View Post
    Looking to purchase this item.
    Was wondering now that the people have had a chance to use them over a longer period of time if they still have the same positive impressions of this grip?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Haven't had mine long, but I don't regret getting it at all. It is solid and has some great features that I don't think I could live without any more. My favorite part of the grip is the IR remote. I can use the remote to lock focus on a subject and adjust my composition without holding the shutter button down. It will then lock the focus for multiple exposures. This is a plus for HDR stuff.

It also allows for you to use burst mode without holding down a shutter button. You can set the camera to burst mode, set your exposure, lock the focus and shoot using the "B-Mode" button. It will then continue to shoot frame after frame until you wither stop it or the camera runs out of batteries. And you don't have to touch a thing! I found this very usful when doing star trail shots...

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    There seemed to be a battery drain issue, how is that going?
    That use to be an issue with the first model that was put into production. With the new model, BH-E51R, battery power is only used when the body is on and you are using the functions on the body. I have turned my camera off, but left the grip on over night and there was no indication of the batteries being drained at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Also, I shoot with my left eye. Does the protruding USB thing-a-ma-jig bump against your nose, or does it make it awkward somehow? Thanks.
    I guess, depending on the shape and size of your face, you might feel it rub against your mouth or chin. You would prob have to try it for yourself and see...

In regards to your hand, you do have to twist your wrist ever so slightly to hit the ISO button, but other than that, it stays out of my way and is not much of a bother...

mclarenf3 is offline Senior Member
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I have a somewhat big nose, and also shoot with my left eye. I never had it get in the way with my nose. However, it did get in the way with how I would normally keep my thumb. Not annoying enough to really mention, but it was something I had to get used to.

I have used it for about a year now (just sold it) and I had absolutely no complaints about it. It did what it was supposed to do, without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post

Rockin Ronnie is offline Rockin Ronnie
    Feedback Score

Someone asked about long term use. I have had my grip since September of 08 and it is the newer version as mentioned above. I did have to send it in once back in October 08 because of the well documented battery draining problem. It came back fixed.

It is never off my E510. It has performed flawlessly. I have to admit it is a very well-designed aftermarket product.

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast