Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: E-330 raw file

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default E-330 raw file

    I'd like to find an E-330 .orf file to test dcraw's support before I commit to the camera. Unfortunately, Olympus doesn't seem to have thought of making one available along with their sample jpegs.

    I don't suppose someone can put one up for download somewhere? More detail is better, but a picture of almost anything will do for proof of concept.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: E-330 raw file

    Ooh, I don't currently have a RAW file to offer you, but I was wondering when dcraw would support the E-330.. Thanks for the inadvertent tip.

    (and if no one else offers before then, I can hook you up when I get home from work later)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: E-330 raw file

    Here you go:

    http://thesaq.com/e330/

    Kinda odd lighting, especially given that it's a pink house at sunset, but.. you get the idea. The newest dcraw seems to work just fine with it (which it definitely didn't do with older versions). The SHQ jpg is normal mode with -2 sharpness.

    (use 7-zip for windows or p7zip for unix to extract the archive)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: E-330 raw file

    Quote Originally Posted by radsaq
    Here you go:

    http://thesaq.com/e330/

    Kinda odd lighting, especially given that it's a pink house at sunset, but.. you get the idea. The newest dcraw seems to work just fine with it (which it definitely didn't do with older versions). The SHQ jpg is normal mode with -2 sharpness.
    Thanks!

    Judging by Dave's changes, the E-330 orf is nearly identical to the E-300's.

    Quote Originally Posted by radsaq
    (use 7-zip for windows or p7zip for unix to extract the archive)
    Aha, grist for peeping plus a quest for another exotic if imperfectly ported arcer.....

    .....The photo looks ideal. Thanks again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: E-330 raw file

    Well, I had the thought that if you were using Windows then you should download 7-zip since it's the best archiver there anyway, but of course that's silly considering that you wouldn't be asking with regard to dcraw if you were running Windows anyway (or likely not ). But yes, p7zip is a rather annoying to use port.

    ... But I was quite pleasantly surprised with the results (not having tried RAW with the E-330 before, given the lack of dcraw support); the level of detail looks quite good with a bit of USM applied. Too bad there's not enough depth of field for the trees to be sharp (it was with the 50-200mm).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lappeenranta, Finland
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Smile Re: E-330 raw file



    just out of curiosity is the format specification
    public for these .orf files ?

    if yes, where can i find one technical spec ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: E-330 raw file

    I don't know if there are specs anywhere, but the dcraw source is probably illuminating:

    http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lappeenranta, Finland
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: E-330 raw file

    thank you !

    selfdocumenting c-code is just what i needed

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Beautiful So-Cal
    Posts
    6,792
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

    Default Re: E-330 raw file

    Smogu - I found on the Olympus site, at one time some sort of software that I believe had the .ORF info in it. What are you thinking of doing?
    What we really need is someone, to take apart Studio and give it a good overhaul, so that it would work better. (Use more of my Mac's Processor, and ram)
    If only someone with some computer since knew how to do that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lappeenranta, Finland
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Red face Re: E-330 raw file

    Too bad the Olympus studio is not open source . .
    so not much can be done

    Have done some image processing (machine vision and
    pattern recognition) in history so i was just interested in the
    format if for some reason i wanted to try something out
    But i quess examining the dcraw code provides a jump
    start if i want to experiment on something ..

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Another tidbit

    The E-300's 8 MP sensor (3264x2448) produces 3340x2504 images using dcraw. The E-330's 7.5 MP sensor (3136x2352) produces 3250x2450 images using dcraw.

    What's that mean? I dunno, but that's quite a bit of extra space around the E-330 sensor's active area that's being thrown away by Olympus.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Another tidbit

    Quote Originally Posted by radsaq
    The E-300's 8 MP sensor (3264x2448) produces 3340x2504 images using dcraw. The E-330's 7.5 MP sensor (3136x2352) produces 3250x2450 images using dcraw.

    What's that mean? I dunno, but that's quite a bit of extra space around the E-330 sensor's active area that's being thrown away by Olympus.
    I noticed that as well but assumed your from-camera jpeg had been cropped somehow. Just to make sure it's clear to everyone, the output from dcraw isn't simply interpolated into more pixels somehow. There is actually more scene present on all four edges.

    Veeery eeenteresting.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Another tidbit

    Well, as far as I know this is typical for third party RAW converters. But the point I was trying to make is that the E-330 has more extra than the E-300. I don't have any E-1 RAWs to compare them to, though.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Another tidbit

    Quote Originally Posted by radsaq
    Well, as far as I know this is typical for third party RAW converters. But the point I was trying to make is that the E-330 has more extra than the E-300. I don't have any E-1 RAWs to compare them to, though.
    I guess the sensor's just a little larger than the spec mandates, but it's not like the bonus half megapixel is immediately completely vignetted. I can see circumstances where one might miss framing by a hair and manage to salvage a photo by having the option to use these data.

  15. #15
    Fred Galliers Guest

    Default Re: Another tidbit

    Quote Originally Posted by acme
    I guess the sensor's just a little larger than the spec mandates, but it's not like the bonus half megapixel is immediately completely vignetted. I can see circumstances where one might miss framing by a hair and manage to salvage a photo by having the option to use these data.
    Exactly! I use Oly Studio almost exclusively, but resort to RSE if I need to recover the extra pixels due to misframing and resort to ACR if I need to recover highlights blown by Studio.

    BTW, the E-1 expands from 2560 X 1920 to 2630 X 1953.

    Fred

    Hey, this edit feature is pretty nice!! Thanks Radsaq!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Another tidbit

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Galliers
    Exactly! I use Oly Studio almost exclusively, but resort to RSE if I need to recover the extra pixels due to misframing and resort to ACR if I need to recover highlights blown by Studio.

    BTW, the E-1 expands from 2450 X 1920 to 2630 X 1953.

    Fred
    You mean 2560x1920.

Similar Threads

  1. E-510 Compressed RAW File?
    By nthebgin in forum Site Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 05:39 AM
  2. We need a 100MB file...
    By OzRay in forum Site Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 06:01 AM
  3. Need an E-500 RAW file:
    By bbodine9 in forum Site Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 12:57 PM
  4. 5D file sizes
    By russ.will in forum Site Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •