Thread: Olympus CF compatability

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Olympus CF compatability

Hi,

I want to get a couple of new CF cards for my E1 to replace the 1GB and 2GB cards that I have been using to date. Now that larger cards (8GB plus) are cheaper I was going to get ones with a higher capacity. Does anyone know which of these larger cards work in an E1.

I know that most older DSLRs have a limit as to the max. size of card that they can read and format.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Cool Re: Olympus CF compatability

Quote Originally Posted by OwenG View Post
    Hi,

I want to get a couple of new CF cards for my E1 to replace the 1GB and 2GB cards that I have been using to date. Now that larger cards (8GB plus) are cheaper I was going to get ones with a higher capacity. Does anyone know which of these larger cards work in an E1.

I know that most older DSLRs have a limit as to the max. size of card that they can read and format.

Cheers.
    I've put 8GB SanDisk Extreme III's (last year's 30Mb/s) in my E-1 and it works fine, other than the shots remaining area on the top LCD reads 999 until I fill up the card. The E-1 was made after manufacturers had crossed the 2GB boundary and switched to using FAT32 for the filesystem instead of FAT16 (the Olympus E-10, and E-20 are limited to 2GB).

I have not heard of any Olympus 4/3rds being limited by the CF size. Some Canon models do seem to be limited in software and can't accept larger cards, but Olympus so far seems to have resisted that temptation.

The current CF format is limited to 128GB (137Gib), since it essentially is a ATA-5 device inside. There is a new standard (CFast) that is based off of SATA, but like SATA vs. IDE/PATA it will use a different connector and current cameras won't be able to use it. Whether camera manufacturers will go to CFast, I dunno. I suspect they may go to SDXC, since those cards are starting to appear now.

Note, the E-1 does not have UDMA support, but as far as I know, all CF cards still support the older PIO method for accessing the card. If you shoot in sequential mode a lot, you probably want to look for a fast card. Several of the second tier of CF cards I've accumulated over the years are rather slow, even though they brag about being fast.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Olympus CF compatability

Has any one used the Kingston 8GB Compact Flash Elite Pro 133x High Performance Memory (20MB/sec read, 25MB/sec write ) cards or the 266X Ultimate (40MB/sec read, 45MB/sec write ) cards?

Or the Lexar Premium 200x Compact Flash Card - 8GB Picstop have these at 22 delivered. I've used their 80X cards in the past with no problems.
    Last edited by OwenG; 07-31-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the Lexar card.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I can't give you any experience with those exact cards, but I can tell you that my experience with Kingstons in general, be it flash drive, flash card, etc., is that they take FOREVER for the computer to read. They're very inexpensive, but I really dislike Kingston and always avoid them. I still have some Kingston stuff, as large memory devices are tough to get rid of, but I hate having to use them.

Lexars, Sandisks, Panasonics, etc. never give me problems.
    Last edited by Neddog; 08-04-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default Re: Olympus CF compatability & card size limit

[quote=Michael Meissner;502659]
    I've put 8GB SanDisk Extreme III's (last year's 30Mb/s) in my E-1 and it works fine, other than the shots remaining area on the top LCD reads 999 until I fill up the card. The E-1 was made after manufacturers had crossed the 2GB boundary and switched to using FAT32 for the filesystem instead of FAT16 (the Olympus E-10, and E-20 are limited to 2GB).
    Michael,

This is great info. You have a wealth of knowledge. The file count reading 999 until it is full seems like a big drawback. You never know how many photos you can shoot until it's full.

The manual for the Camedia C-8080 says it's limit is a 2 GB card. I've never tried to exceed that and with two slots I really have 4 GB. It's always been enough for any day's adventure, even for 4 dives underwater.

The current CF format is limited to 128GB (137Gib), since it essentially is a ATA-5 device inside. There is a new standard (CFast) that is based off of SATA, but like SATA vs. IDE/PATA it will use a different connector and current cameras won't be able to use it. Whether camera manufacturers will go to CFast, I dunno. I suspect they may go to SDXC, since those cards are starting to appear now.
    Michael, this is good to know. But why would anyone want a 128 GB card? I have two of the 8 GB cards and I can shoot a vacation for a week without filling them. An 8 GB card ought to be able to hold 800 10 MB files, right? I wouldn't want to risk putting any more on a single, corruptable card. I just can't see the need to go larger than 100 GB in the future. We're seeing the limit of the pixel wars already. The only thing I can think of that eats memory is video, and that's becoming part of DSLR cameras today. I expect to see video in the next Pro E-5 if only to compete with the 7D and D3x (or s?).
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I use the Kingston 8Gb Extreme CF card in my E1 and have never had a problem. Like you, I was a bit wary of buying a card so big at first because I didn't think the E1 would handle it (being such an antique ) but it works just fine and is a bit quicker to write to then my older 1Gb cards.

I get about 600 photos when I set it to RAW and SHQ (thanks to the lovely little 5 megapixels instead of these memory hungry 14 megapixel beasts!)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have a few Kingston 32GB Elite Pro CF cards that work in both E-1 and E-3. I do not do major continuous firing so speed is not a big priority; I have other high speed cards. I just want the capacity while on vacation.
    The card mounts quickly using a Lexar UDMA Pro FireWire 800 reader on my MacPro at home and a Lexar UDMA Dual Slot USB reader on my MacBook Pro on the road. A single 32GB card can store 3207 photos shot on the E-3.
    And yes, one may ask, "why do you put all your eggs in one basket?" That's because I don't put all my eggs in one basket. I transfer the photos every night and with such a high capacity card, I do not need to format it for the next day's shoot. Instantly, my photos are always in two places. And there is no risk of loss since I do not need to change cards in the field. In terms of failure, I've had more Lexar Pro cards fail than Kingstons.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Cool Re: Olympus CF compatability & card size limit

Quote Originally Posted by whaleshark View Post

Michael,

This is great info. You have a wealth of knowledge. The file count reading 999 until it is full seems like a big drawback. You never know how many photos you can shoot until it's full.
    I can see I was imprecise. What I meant was the top LCD displays 999 until sufficient pictures have been taken that it can display the number. So if an 8GB card would allow for say 1,400 shots and you took 600, the top LCD would show 800.

The E-3 has the same issue, given there are only 3 digits in the LCD display, though it will display 4 digits during live view.

The manual for the Camedia C-8080 says it's limit is a 2 GB card. I've never tried to exceed that and with two slots I really have 4 GB. It's always been enough for any day's adventure, even for 4 dives underwater.
    I no longer have the C-8080WZ that I had briefly, but I think with the 78 firmware that was floating around, I could put a 4GB card in the camera, and it would support it. It may be at the time Olympus wrote the manual, that 2GB cards were the largest available. For beyond 2GB, the issue is whether the camera uses FAT16 or had moved to FAT32. The 8080 was made in the transition time, where most cameras had started supporting it, but not all.

Michael, this is good to know. But why would anyone want a 128 GB card? I have two of the 8 GB cards and I can shoot a vacation for a week without filling them. An 8 GB card ought to be able to hold 800 10 MB files, right? I wouldn't want to risk putting any more on a single, corruptable card. I just can't see the need to go larger than 100 GB in the future. We're seeing the limit of the pixel wars already. The only thing I can think of that eats memory is video, and that's becoming part of DSLR cameras today. I expect to see video in the next Pro E-5 if only to compete with the 7D and D3x (or s?).
    If you are shooting video, it goes through flash cards like a hot knife through butter. It would help if Olympus had a more compact encoding for video. I can only do 7 minutes of HD recording before it runs into the 2GB per file limit that FAT32 imposed (14 minutes for SD recording). I ran into this when I was the photographer for a small renaissance faire, and each act is generally 1/2 hour, and the finale is an hour, and you have to time starting and stopping recording so you minimize missing stuff. Remember, that the normal 4.7GB DVD typically holds 120 minutes of video, while recording from the camera would only get you 14 minutes of recording in the same space.

Another reason is to minimize bending pins in CF cards so that you never have to remove the card. I have bent the pins in a portable storage device and I've seen Olympus DSLRs come up for sale occasionally that the CF slot has the pins bent, and you had to only shoot with xD cards.

In terms of CF, the big use of 64/128GB cards is to replace disk drives, particularly in computers that need speed in accessing data or need to eliminate the spinning media. Now SSD's are available that do this, but for awhile, the standard way to make a 64GB drive was to use CF card and a CF->IDE converter.
    Last edited by Michael Meissner; 08-04-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OwenG View Post
    Hi,

Cheers.
    Can't help with a more general case.

I use Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III as well as Transcend 120x and 133x 4G cards with my E-1 and have had no problems. A 4G card holds somewhere around 400 E-1 .ORF files: that's been fine for me. I only very rarely make 400 exposures in any single shooting session.