Thread: Your camera ideas

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (94%)

Default Your camera ideas

I have a couple of ideas I would like to see in a camera, built in ND grad. adjustable to three stops. Glow in the dark rear buttons. I work in the dark alot. I would also like the top screen to be a live histogram instead of shutter and aperture settings.
    If you have any new ideas let me hear them.

Penrith Vally, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Your camera ideas

Backlit buttons would be great, not sure why it hasn't been done yet, I'd like an auto adjust screen brightness. So it I turn on in the dark I'm not blinded by the light, then cant see anything after that.
    If photographers stopped worrying about the short comings of their equipment and started worrying about the shortcomings behind the viewfinder, there would most probably be a marked improvement in image quality.

Living in a boat on the San Francisco Bay
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Buttons on the 620 light up, fyi.
    E-1 (!), e-410, e-510, 9-18 14-42, 40-150, 50 macro, ex-25, 12-60 swd, 70-300, FL-36r, Velbon 443 boom tripod, Redged RTA-320 mini tripod.
    http://technopeasant.org

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Cool Re: Your camera ideas

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    I have a couple of ideas I would like to see in a camera, built in ND grad. adjustable to three stops. Glow in the dark rear buttons. I work in the dark alot. I would also like the top screen to be a live histogram instead of shutter and aperture settings.
    I have plenty of ideas. As somebody else has mentioned, the E-620 did have light up buttons. And I think the E-5 has an option to adjust the LCD power based on the background light. Lets see:

• Live view via HDMI like the G-H2 has.
    • Builtin timer support like the E-10/E-20/Sp-550UZ used to have.
    • Go back to using standard mini-USB cable, separate A/V out from shutter release, however I hate the RM-CB1 shutter release cable mounting on the E-x cameras, so go to a standard 2.5mm or 3.5mm phono cable for shutter release. Standard 3.5mm microphone port (no need for SEMA-1).
    • Have a complex shooting mode, which allows me to set ranges for each of the aperture, ISO, and shutter speed, and the priority in using these three options. So I could say I want to use between f/4 and f/8, no more than ISO 800, and shutter speed between 1/60 and 1/250.
    • Stop putting the USB/shutter release on the right side like it is on the Pens (I know the E-M5 fixes this).
    • Support real tethered mode that is controllable from my Android phone, including remote video on the phone (not just shutter release, but full control). Ideally without wires (either via wifi or bluetooth). Even better would be an open source, documented protocol that I could control the camera from a Linux system or Ardiuno system.
    • Global electronic shutter that is completely silent (but optionally have a sound effect when the shutter is pressed).
    • 2 hot-shoes and accessory ports on top and left side of the camera.
    • Better support for phase detect lenses in mirrorless body.
    • Drop the current method of upgrading firmware and allow firmware to be undone.
    • Be able to display level orientation on the main live view screen (instead of having to hit info to alternate between level and histogram).
    • Unlike the VF-2, make sure the next EVF's are viewable with polarized sunglasses when shooting in landscape mode.
    • Drop the E-5 method where shutter release cable can't start/stop movie shooting (basically keep a separate movie mode).
    • Macro lenses with bellows support (but full electronic support).
    • Optional way of doing remote TTL flashes with radio/bluetooth, preferably with an adaptor and not a whole new set of flashes.
    • It would be really nice if they could figure out how to do TTL flash without the pre-flash like the OM cameras used to (I realize the technical problems in that the sensor doesn't reflect light like film used to, but this is a wish list).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
    Buttons on the 620 light up, fyi.
    Yup, just what I was gonna say. The E-620 has backlit buttons but STILL had better battery life than all previous cameras which used the BLS-1 battery due to more efficient energy usage.

Of course, the E-620 was still a DSLR... now with the excessive use of Live View or the even heavier-drain EVFs on the PEN and OM-D series, I think energy consumption is being taxed once again. Mind you, if energy consumption is any issue then they could cut out that annoying blue power light that everybody complains about, lol.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Michael has mentioned many of the things I would like. I'll add:

-Adjustable frame rate for video, with no frame rate conversion or frame doubling, allowing: 24p/30p/60i/60p, and include 25p/50i/50p for our euro friends

-A high speed video mode, even if at reduced resolution, such as 120fps or 240fps. It can be reserved for a pro model if need be

-Adjustable bitrate allowing a moderately high value (40-80Mbps)

-lossless digital zoom for video, as far as sensor allows, variable percentage.

-Manual mic level adjustment on a 0-100 scale

-TTL flash connector (small, proprietary is ok) for the PEN models so you can attach an external flash on a bracket whilst having an EVF attached.

-Accommodations for a 3rd party or ideally OEM battery grip for ALL camera models

-All models attempted drip proof on top side, prevent against minor spills, light rain, snow

-Design future PENs like the E-PL2, all the gen 3 PEN models fall short in design compared to the E-PL2. It has the best grip, look, size, feature set for it's time. Has built in flash, no wasted space with tilting LCD. Best PEN in my opinion.

-Up the ante with all EVFs. Much more resolution is required. Perhaps around 2 million pixels (RGB), and by that I mean 6 million or more "dots".

-Focus Peaking, or give us at least some way to MF a lens as good as we could with an old film SLR. Zooming on a section is a little slow, and the current LCD/EVF resolution can get me nearly accurate MF. Give me a guidance so I can get fast 100% accurate MF like I could with an old OM.

-keep FT alive with a pro body that outperforms the E-M5 AND GH2 (possibly upcoming GH3 as well) in both photo and video capabilities. Sell it under $2k and nothing will be able to keep up with that and Oly glass.

-Ability to shut off completely the LCD monitor and use an optical shoe finder (or maybe this exists, I can't seem to find it)

I think all these requests are reasonable, and possible with today's technology (except maybe the EVF). Some of these, I dare say, are oversights that should have been included in former models. There's time yet for Oly to shock the world again with unbeatable features for the price. Make this happen.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'd like to see a Micro Four-Thirds camera with Lightfield technology. I'm tired of focusing. C'mon now, throw me a bone!
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Living in a boat on the San Francisco Bay
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Having fallen in love with an E-1 (yes, my wife approves of this affair), I'm not sure that any changes since 2003 are actually improvements. Instead, its simple(r) design is forcing me to improve. I like that.
    EDIT
    Rethinking what I wrote above: there are more things I'd like to see removed from modern cameras than added to them.
    Last edited by Stewart G; 04-17-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    E-1 (!), e-410, e-510, 9-18 14-42, 40-150, 50 macro, ex-25, 12-60 swd, 70-300, FL-36r, Velbon 443 boom tripod, Redged RTA-320 mini tripod.
    http://technopeasant.org

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Hmm. I just want a body that is easy to use, good to hold and have great IQ.

Remove everything that is only "Nice to have"; use manual controls for ISO, +/-EV, Shutter-speed and Aperture (The last two with a A position to give PASM functionality). No buttons where the thumbs lies. No combined roating wheels and four-way push-buttons.

It should have two modes of operation - RAW shooter and JPEG shooter. In RAW shooter mode, all JPEG settings disappear from the menu system.

I would like it in two sizes - E-Px size (with optional tiltable EVF) and a larger 4/3 model with a larger OVF but keeping the swivel screen. Somewhere between E-520 and E-30, methinks.

The sensor should be based on the same design as Fuji's new X-Pro sensor; so we don't need the AA filter. Combined with the best parts of the E-M5 sensor.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    The back lit buttons at the E-620 is a lovely feature, I am sad it did not appears at the E-M5.

We always want more from a body, but I am sure you will be very happy and excited when the E-M5 arrives your door.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

For every model(s) from Olympus, they should offer an optional accessory, a battery charger that hold twin batteries !!!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Just one request: in RAW mode, histogram based on the RAW data, not the embedded JPEG preview. Blown highlight blinkies and live-view histogram should similarly be based on the RAW data. In cases like live-view where you don't want much of the screen taken up by the histogram, show a single histogram with max(R, G, B), not a !@#$ "luminance" histogram--we occasionally take pictures of red flowers or blue skies, not just green trees. Manufacturers, if you want to gain some practical improvement in dynamic range relative to the competition, don't make it so difficult to set an optimal exposure!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

the following describes the almost 'ultimate' mFT Hybrid body
    (everyone knows the 'ultimate' is TRINE)
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31541522 (The Riddle of the TRINE)

Body Design

• Built in 120fps expandable 240 fps interpolated EVF (therefore 240fps clock rate)
    • Card and Battery access while on a tripod
    • ballistic plastic body, shock mounted mainboard
    • 16Mp non AA sensor (multi read)
    • latest IBIS implementation
    • pdAF on sensor autofocus
    • mFT lens mount
    • offered with battery grip (expect high battery consumption)
    • HDMI interface
    • iphone coms

Control Suite

• no less than 5 renameable 'mymodes', mode dial at right
    • metering set with either 18%, highlight, or shadow range
    • large tritium illuminated backlit buttons, various head textures and feel
    • control suite in analogue, so I can see the settings before bootup
    • shutter speed quadrant with shutter control beneath
    • shutter release with release modes beneath
    • aperture control via control wheel
    • tilt, multi format, touch screen Super LCD
    • MF sensitive EVF mode uses 50% screen for framing and magnification
    • focus trap shutter firing

Expected Performance

• multi read enables 2 reads from the same exposure instant
    • noiseless (like base ISO) at ISO 3200, due to incamera processing, tiff output
    • max usable ISO OMD + 4 stops (ISO 512000 {equiv OMD ISO 3200)
    • incamera HDR mode from 2 frames expanding DR 2 stops
    • Full HDR 1920x1200 25fps video, no limits except card size
    • able to handle any mFT or 4/3rds (with adapter) lens full compatibility.
    • very generous processing power
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My Olympus E-620 has back-lit buttons and a (x2) battery grip and I always use the histogram. I do have a 2X and 8X ND filter. Hope this helps.
    E-500 "full-spectrum", E-510 IR 665nm, OM-D E-M1
    Zuiko 9-18mm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II & 14-54mm II

Rokinon 8mm fisheye, OM 50mm f/1.8, Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8
    50mm ED macro.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

1. Remote button sensor on the back of the camera (so when I take tripod mounted shots I dont have to reach around the front and sometimes miss the sensor)
    2. Lens release button on the side of the grip, because this is where you hang onto the camera.
    3. a flash system that has radio triggers in built instead of the pop up flash, then make transceivers for the existing flashes and new flashes with the receiver built in. Have the flashes "talk back to the camera" for auto mode.
    McGoo Photography
    E5 | E620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 35-100 | Zuiko 70-300 | FL-50R x2 |

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
    there are more things I'd like to see removed from modern cameras than added to them.
    I am all for this.

I would like to be able to lock the front adjustment knob as I am constantly changing my aperture setting when shooting in manual without knowing it.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

E-3/5: I use the front wheel for EV adjustment, and would also like to lock that function, so I do not accidentally change it when carrying the body by the grip in my right hand. The front wheel fits nicely under my index finger while shooting, and I like that, but is vulnerable while I am carrying the camera. If I do not constantly remind myself to pixel peep (I usually keep the screen turned in when I am in the field), I have left it one or more stops over exposed more times than I would like to admit. I have the rear wheel on A in A mode, and that rarely changes by itself, but the front wheel, while handy, often changes on me. PITA! Otherwise, the E-5 is a great body for field work, and I am also looking forward to evaluating my first E-M5, which is on pre-order at my local shop, due in any day now.

I would also really like to save the customization settings for any Oly body to the SD card or to a computer file, not only for backup and restoration, but to copy to another body. With scores of settings, I find it difficult to exactly sync the settings on my two (or more in the future?) bodies, to make them operate identically. I am old, and have trouble switching bodies if they do not operate identically, except when I purposely want them to be different for a particular shoot. That capability would help in both cases. I expressed this to an Oly rep once, and he was both surprised at the request and appreciated its importance to some shooters. He promised to pass it along, but no evidence of its incorporation so far....
    Ken610

E-5 x2, HLD-4 x2, E-520, E-1, 9-18, 12-60 SWD, 14-42, 14-54 I, 18-180, PL 25/1.4, 25/2.8, 35-100/2, 40-150 II, 50/2, 50-200 SWD, Bigma 50-500, 70-300, 90-250/2.8, 150/2, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25, FL-50r x2, FL-36r, Jobu Jr, Jobu HD2.
    OM-D: E-M1 2x, HLD-7, 12-40, E-M5 Black, E-M5 Silver, 12-50, 12-40, 75-300 II, PL 14-140 II
    m43: E-P3, 9-18, 17/2.8, 14-150, PL 100-300, PL 14/2.5, VF-2, FL-14, FL-20.
    Other: XZ-1, PT-050, UFL-1, UFL-2, TG-1, all in a big bolted gun safe!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ken610 View Post

I would also really like to save the customization settings for any Oly body to the SD card or to a computer file, not only for backup and restoration, but to copy to another body. With scores of settings, I find it difficult to exactly sync the settings on my two (or more in the future?) bodies, to make them operate identically. I am old, and have trouble switching bodies if they do not operate identically, except when I purposely want them to be different for a particular shoot. That capability would help in both cases. I expressed this to an Oly rep once, and he was both surprised at the request and appreciated its importance to some shooters. He promised to pass it along, but no evidence of its incorporation so far....
    I too would like this feature as I have the E-1, E-3, and the E-5.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Penrith Vally, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks
    Feedback Score

I realise some of the features I mentioned have been on previous models, but they aren't going forward, hence the mention, not like I can go out and buy an EM5 or E7 with E6xx features is it?
    If photographers stopped worrying about the short comings of their equipment and started worrying about the shortcomings behind the viewfinder, there would most probably be a marked improvement in image quality.