Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Oly exiting the dSLR stage?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Olympus is staying in the DSLR market

what Im going to do here is take two of your points in reverse order

Quote Originally Posted by KHatfull
    If you think about it in these terms 4/3 is a brilliant design. The same sensor, the thing that is what I have to believe the most expensive part of camera design, works for small, pocketable compacts up to, dare we say, professional grade SLRs. How many different sensors does Canikon have to chase the development of? The benefit to Oly is one set of R&D costs being spread over multiple market segments.

Am I cracked or am I seeing it correctly?
    wind it back to before mFT was thought about. The truth is if 4/3rds was to co-exist with mFT you would never have designed mFT the way it is?

Quote Originally Posted by KHatfull View Post
    I think the BIG difference this time, as opposed to the E-3 -> E-5 machinations, is not only does Oly have external competition form the usual crowd but Oly has direct competition internally from their own m4/3 products plus m4/3 products from Panasonic! This is a dynamic which didn't exist in E-3 -> E-5 discussions. This combined with the recent accounting scandal really forces Oly's hand into doing something sooner than later on the 4/3 front IMHO.
    this is a very good point.
    Lets say we buried the past and past decisions by directors no longer present and just looked at the assets of today. They have sitting on the sideline an entire system of lenses, flashes and accessories which have been more or less ditched to feed the micro format energy. Whatever...

Now take the lessons learned from OMD and apply that to a new 4/3rds body. For OMD right now equals a good looking body, properly outfitted with accessories like grip etc, well priced and with a new sensor and IS system.

Graft a mirrorbox and OVF onto the front of OMD which just means a new casting for the front part of OMD body and near identical potentials exist, except it faces down the consumer negatives about mFT, the EVF, the AF, and for the most part mediocre lenses. Yet it dovetails exactly into 4/3rds with all its existing lens options, potentially revives the format, and likely better fulfils market expectations in countries where mFT hasn't been selling well.

They're in the business of selling product, it shouldn't matter what it is as long as it sells. OMD proves there has been an untapped market for a camera of its size, type and appearance, I cant see why a small SLR would be any different.
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Hi KHatfull,
    I agree. But funny thing is, everyone was saying the same thing about the E-5 since not long after the E-3 was released. People kept saying, "I need to see an upgrade (to the E-3) before I believe Olympus is continuing the 4/3 line." Just because they replaced their entry level, E-xxx cameras with a newly designed MILC, m4/3 everyone imagined Oly was not going to keep making the DSLRs. And Olympus is still saying they have an E-7 in the works.

Given the m4/3 lens line up I believe the m4/3 line will always be the entry level 4/3 sensor camera and E-x will continue to be the high end Pro body using HG and SHG lenses.
    I think the BIG difference this time, as opposed to the E-3 -> E-5 machinations, is not only does Oly have external competition from the usual crowd but Oly has direct competition internally from their own m4/3 products plus m4/3 products from Panasonic! This is a dynamic which didn't exist in E-3 -> E-5 discussions. ...
    One could really see the OM-D as a curse or blessing: ...
    Am I cracked or am I seeing it correctly?
    I agree with the points you made, but not the timeline of events. Between the release of the E-3 in December of 2007 and the E-5 in late 2010 Olympus released the beginnings of the m4/3 line with the E-P1, E-P2 and EPL-1. They also released the E-30 and E-620 during that time frame. Since 2010 they have apparently discontinued production and supply of the E-30 and E-620 while continuing to supply the E-5.

Before the E-5 came along people began to ask whether Olympus was going to continue making the 4/3 DSLR. If we look back at threads here and on other forums like dpreview we'll see lots of brand bashing, rumor and doomsday speculation. We're still hearing it in this thread even though Olympus has said several times lately that they are currently developing a 4/3 DSLR replacement to the E-5. I would expect that E-7 to come along in late 2013, in keeping with their past. And that's plenty soon enough for me because I'll get several more years of use out of my E-5.
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by whaleshark View Post
    I agree with the points you made, but not the timeline of events. Between the release of the E-3 in December of 2007 and the E-5 in late 2010 Olympus released the beginnings of the m4/3 line with the E-P1, E-P2 and EPL-1. They also released the E-30 and E-620 during that time frame. Since 2010 they have apparently discontinued production and supply of the E-30 and E-620 while continuing to supply the E-5.
    I'll clarify...competition from m4/3 is more intense now than then, additionally complicated by the release of the OM-D and its being marketed more as/like a DSLR (even though it's not, no "reflex" i nthere ) than a P&S AND more intense competition from Panasonic since that time period.

Don't get me wrong...I think Oly stands to be in a good place going forward.
    Cameras: E-1 (HLD-2) -- EM-5 (HLD-6)
    Lenses: 50-200 MkI / 50/2 Macro -- Panny 14-45 / Panny 25 / Oly 60 Macro
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50 / STF-22 / RF-11

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

.. AND more intense competition from Panasonic since that time period.

Don't get me wrong...I think Oly stands to be in a good place going forward.
    I agree. And Panasonic appeared to be exiting the camera market at the time.

I still lament the loss of the Pan/Leica 25 mm f/1.4 for 4/3 DSLR. I got one in 2008 while they were priced well below their peak of $900, but no one else can buy that lens new today.
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Is Oly exiting the dSLR stage?

I don't know gang. The EM-5 with the grip, 4/3 adapter, 17 2.8. 45 1.8 and 75 1.8 are looking like a great addition to my E3 kit. Add some old manual glass and an adapter and I might be in heaven as long as the camera lives up to the hype.
    Pick up some higher ISO for my 4/3 glass, strip it down as a lightweight compact with primes close to my favorite 35, 85 and 135 focal lengths in 35MM or slap some manual lenses on it to kick it old school. I still keep a K1000 around for that reason.
    An E7 to go with it would be sweet but I think Olympus popped one out of the park with the EM-5 for only $1000. An E7 to go with it would be a grand slam. If not, I see a sweet set up adding it to my E3 as a second camera. It makes a perfect fit to compliment the E3's shortcomings Just waiting to see more real world results from it. so far, I'm impressed.

Dave.......
    Olympus E3, 14-54, 50-200, EC14 and Metz 48 AF-1
    Canon 40D, 24-105L (soon to be replaced with 20,50,85 primes) and 380EX