Thread: I shot the Supermoon - Anyone else?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default I shot the Supermoon - Anyone else?

Well I just got back from a Bryan Adams concert (really good by the way) - and saw the big full "Supermoon" in a clear sky at around 12:30AM midnight May 6'th. I knew that while I was at the concert, I missed the nice opportunity of the moon being low to the horizon where I could include some interesting content and show its size - and so wasn't going to bother taking a shot - - - after all it is just another full moon shot when aiming up in the sky.

But I did end up grabbing my E-3 and 75-300mm lens and popped out into the backyard to take a shot. Couldn't pass it up. Sure enough - it was like all the other times. Exposure was dead accurate at the SUNNY 16 rule and I set my camera at f6.3 @ 1/1000'th at 200ISO (BTW - Sunny16 for midday sun using 200ISO is f16@1/200'th). From experience I also set my White Balance to a custom 4200K. With the lens fully extended to an equivalent of 600mm, the moon was still small in the frame - but got me this 100% crop of 750px by 750px. Might look the same as the others - - - but at least I label the image "Supermoon 2012".

One of the disadvantages of shooting a full moon over one where the sun is hitting it from an angle (and so is only partially lit) - - - is that the craters and surfaces of the moon aren't defined by shadows, and so don't pop out. It is afterall FLAT LIGHTING - much like we'd use on a model to hide imperfections on the face. But we always want to shoot a full moon - right?

Be sure to post your shots as replies if you like.

--------------
    Last edited by Robert Watcher; 05-06-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Rob

Creative Wedding and Portrait Photography by Robert Watcher: www.robertwatcher.com
    Adventures in Travel with Rob and Anne Watcher: www.travelvirgins.net

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: I shot the Supermoon - Anyone else?

We had overcast skies until 10pm also.
    I shot a few with my 420 and Vivitar 400 5.6.
    Still trying to get the hang of shooting with manual lenses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Terry Walls

Planning mine tonight (in Oz) - sun just setting and moon rise will be in about an hour or so.

Camera set up - tripod out. Will post here.
    Terry
    Canberra, Australia
    e620, OM20 and OM40 and lots of stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Mike Crosa

Heres mine. Shot about 10:45 last night.
    Mike C
    Enjoying the sun and ocean in Miami

Olympus OMD EM1, EPL1, 17mm, 45mm, 60mm macro, 75-300mm, Rokinon Fish Eye, lens cap lens, Fl-36 flash, Think Tank 30I bag

Living in a boat on the San Francisco Bay
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I went for a moonrise-over-the-water shot but positioned myself on the wrong finger of land. So the moon rose too far to my right, behind a ridge. Coming home, I had to settle for this moon-colored object:
    Attachment 42492
    The For Sale sign says $12,500.
    E-1 (!), e-410, e-510, 9-18 14-42, 40-150, 50 macro, ex-25, 12-60 swd, 70-300, FL-36r, Velbon 443 boom tripod, Redged RTA-320 mini tripod.
    http://technopeasant.org

Thanks
    Feedback Score

FYI

I found it interesting that on different photo forums where Supermoon shots were posted the last couple of days - - - that some would reply that it was interesting to see the moon from different locations of the earth.

And so when I saw a posted image that was photographed from the Virgin Islands and closely resembled the shot I took from Canada, I thought I'd overlay the two of them and align them as accurately as I could - to see if there was any difference from either perspective on earth. There were 3 easily visible spots in different areas of the moons surface, that I could target easily to rotate and align the images as closely as possible.

Not too scientific and for most probably not interesting - but I did it anyway LOL.

For those who might presume that the moon will show differently from different parts of the earth - sorry but the answer is NOPE. What will be different is that there are small parallax differences and the angle of the moon's axis as seen from earth, will show differently depends on your latitude. And so In the Northern Hemisphere, the Moon is upside down. In the Southern Hemisphere, it's right side up. That is why I had to rotate my shot to match up (although who's to say the camera was positioned the same).

But everyone sees the same face. Cool EH!
    Last edited by Robert Watcher; 05-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Rob

Creative Wedding and Portrait Photography by Robert Watcher: www.robertwatcher.com
    Adventures in Travel with Rob and Anne Watcher: www.travelvirgins.net

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I only had the 12-60, so didnt take any telephotos, had clouds over the eastern horizon when it rose, so didnt see it till it was probably 5 degrees or so over the hills

E5, E3, OMD EM-1, micro 75-300MM, micro 12-50MM, OM350 F2.8, 150MM F2, 50-200MM SWD, 11-22MM, 12-60MM, 50MM macro, EC-14, EC-20. Canon 7D and 400MM F5.6
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Terry Walls

Hand held -

Terry
    Canberra, Australia
    e620, OM20 and OM40 and lots of stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

First Picture using 70-300mm of the previous full moon
    Second Picture 7-14mm 2012 super moon over the father in laws distillery

Attachment 42557

Attachment 42558
    McGoo Photography
    E5 | E620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 35-100 | Zuiko 70-300 | FL-50R x2 |

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Forget the super moon... can we try some of the product from your father in law's distillery?
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery