Thread: Sole Trade

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Sole Trade

A week ago I was in a city 4 hours from where I am living in Guatemala. I came across a scene that I hadn't seen specifically as of yet. It was a man sitting on the street outside a home, resoling and repairing shoes of the person inside. all his tools, glues and pieces of leather were scattered around him.

Unfortunately I was not in a position to take his photo at that time - even though I desperately wanted to. I wasn't sure I would come across that opportunity again.

Well I did. This morning, while walking around a slightly more affluent area at the other end of the city from where I live - there sat a man on the street with his tools, pieces of leathers leaned up against the wall behind hime - - - fixing several pairs of shoes that had been brought out to him.

I didn't let this opportunity pass me by. I got his name, but it was very unusual and I didn't write it down. Unfortunately he didn't have email or a Facebook account, so I wasn't able to find a means where I can deliver copies of the images to. Hopefully I come across him again in the future.

-----------

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: Sole Trade

Hi Robert, 91 views and no comments. How depressing.
    So let's start the ball rolling.
    Interesting picture, contradictory subject. A menial worker, sitting in his office (the footpath) and looking a bit untidy. And next to him in total contrast a bright shiny motorbike. Almost a disconcerting effect. Did you plan it that way ?
    Picturewise, it looks like you're having exposure problems. Highlights are clipped and blacks are crushed. Not only this pic but other Guatemalan ones too. Could be very harsh midday lighting in Guatemala. You could try photographing earlier or later in the day, or if you want to rescue this pic and other similar ones, then you could try a bit of pseudo-HDR from your RAW file. I'm assuming you're shooting RAW + JPEG routinely, doesn't everyone ??
    Enough for now.
    Keep on with the pics too.
    PS I like the starkness of your lighthouse pic, from 3 Dec.
    Twin E-620/70-300mm/14-42mm/pinhole lens, plus 8mm FE, Tokina AT-X 90mm macro, and Zeiss 500/8 mirror.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Sole Trade