PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Keeney

lkeeney
09-13-2005, 10:15 PM
I am a retired Engineering Manager who is now trying to get the right side of my brain to work

I started back into photography again when I retired. I looked for some place where I could volunteer my time and found the local BMX track needed a web page. I deisgned a web page for them and then realized I needed some photos for the site. I bought a couple of digital cameras, but none of them were good enough to take shots of the kids junping with their bicycles; the shutter lag was just too long. I did some searching and found the Olympus E-10, which I loved. When the E1 was released, I purchased the second one sold in Las Vegas.

I did some fashion show shots and decided I liked this type of shooting. I set up a home studio and started looking for models to help me learn studio shooting. I designed a brochure that outlined Time For Prints and started talking with young girls who looked like they may be interested in modeling. Fortunately, I found a couple of models, one in particular who comes over almost every week for a couple hour shoot with me. We both are learning the hard way.

Besides photography, I run a consulting business, basically for industrial process control systems. I get up early, work all day (either photography or consulting) and work well into the evening. I deisgn web sites, and play backgammon and dominoes with people on the Internet.

At least this keeps an old man off the streets.

You can see some of my photos at www.blackcanyonsystems.com/Photography

Lawrence

Post edited by: lkeeney, at: 2005/09/14 00:56

OzRay
09-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Lawrence

Funny you should mention web design. Before digital took hold, I was quenching my creative desires by doing web design as a sideline to normal work (after hours of course).

I have a bunch of client that I still support, but I\'m slowly weening myself away from that activity. It\'s just not enjoyable anymore and I\'d rather concentrate my efforts towards photography.

Though I have to keep the former going for a while, as I build up the photography side, which allows me to claim a reasonable amount of business deductions. So far it\'s all been nicely self-sustaining and the tax man has been receiving his pound of flesh each year.

Cheers

Ray

wazza
09-14-2005, 06:01 AM
Lawrence,

I didn\'t realise you came from an E-10 background.

One day I swear I am going to get accross to your neck of the woods so I can hold a reflector for you on one of \'those\' shoots.

Cheers
Wazza

lkeeney
09-14-2005, 10:11 AM
OzRay wrote:

Lawrence

Funny you should mention web design. Before digital took hold, I was quenching my creative desires by doing web design as a sideline to normal work (after hours of course).

I have a bunch of client that I still support, but I\'m slowly weening myself away from that activity. It\'s just not enjoyable anymore and I\'d rather concentrate my efforts towards photography.

Though I have to keep the former going for a while, as I build up the photography side, which allows me to claim a reasonable amount of business deductions. So far it\'s all been nicely self-sustaining and the tax man has been receiving his pound of flesh each year.

Cheers

Ray

Ray,

When I first started designing web sites, I was only going to design them in conjunction with my photography. As an example, one of the first sites I designed was for a lady who makes and sells soap and beauty products. I shot all the products for the web page. The next one was for a group of women who do stitching. Again, I photographed all the products they produced and put the images up on their web sites.

However, I find myself drifting away from that model a little, and I think I have to get back to where the site must contain my photography.

About 50% of the sites I design are for free, and the ones I do charge for don\'t bring that much money. One of the reasons I like designing web sites is that I am a Photoshop nut. I find I learn something new in Photoshop with every project I take on.

Lawrence

lkeeney
09-14-2005, 10:14 AM
wazza wrote:

Lawrence,

I didn\'t realise you came from an E-10 background.

One day I swear I am going to get accross to your neck of the woods so I can hold a reflector for you on one of \'those\' shoots.

Cheers
Wazza

Wazza,

Yes, I still have my E-10. My daughter uses it now for taking photos of her children. I keep it as a backup for my E1 when I shoot weddings.

You are more than welcome to join me in a shoot any time.

Lawrence