PDA

View Full Version : Bodies / Media E-300

craig
10-03-2005, 10:00 PM
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/images/DSLR_E-300-front_l_rdax_225x195.jpg (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1140)
\"The incredibly designed E-300. This camera in my opinion should win an award, for most creative DSLR\" - Tony

Post edited by: tspore, at: 2005/10/03 23:01

craig
10-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Reviews on the Web.

craig
10-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro\'s:
Con\'s:
Opinion\'s:

craig
10-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro\'s: Weighs less than the E-1. It has 8 MP (about 20% if you care about MP). It has a built in flash. I personally like the body style. It feels good in the hand. It has the dust buster.

Con\'s: It doesn\'t always get WB (white Balance) Right... E-1 is better. After ISO 400 its a bit noisy. A little slow to focus.

Price: $500 - Ebay, without battery, and with the 14-45mm.

Opinion\'s: I really like this camera. It isn\'t water proof, but it has a built in flash I don\'t thing those two things can coexist. I also like the feel of it in my hand, but its not as good as the E-1. Overall I think it is a really good camera. Probably my biggest problem with it is WB, but its usually easy enough to fix in PS. I really like the body style. Many don\'t, but that\'s my opinion. It is much better built that a D-Rebel.
Tony

borgunit
01-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Pros: Consistently takes good shots. Great \"feel\" to the camera (solid). Allows you to take the photos in the way you like easily (manual to auto). Can use my old OM lenses with good results. Unconventional look (I like being unconventional, hey I bought the OM-1 when it came out).
Cons: A little slow focusing in low light. Exposure errors about 1-3% of the time.
Opinion: Great step up SLR from my point and shoot. I feel like I want the successor to the E-1 but I really don\'t know why. This camera does what I ask of it. Money will keep me from buying the next E-1 and I can be satisfied with the E-300 for a good while. I like its feel better than the the E-500, even though the E-500 is a fine camera.

pip22
01-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Borgunit -- you could have written that post for me, it\'s almost every word exactly why I like my E-300.
The 500 for me is too small (though ironically the larger 300 has a smaller LCD panel), and the prism hump and lens mount are too offset to one side (to near the edge of the body). There are things on the 500 which I\'d like to have on my 300 (larger LCD, dual card slots), but it\'s by no means enough for me to ignore the fact my 300 is easier to handle and better to look at. The E-500 was a marketing necessity for Olympus because of all the flak they got over the E-300\'s unconventional design, but technically the E-300 is just as capable in the right hands.

Knight Palm
03-25-2006, 02:06 PM
I bought the E-300 for Christmas 2005.
For those of you reading Swedish, I've placed a long review at a Swedish site:

http://www.fotosidan.se/reviews/viewreviews.htm?ID=7848
http://www.fotosidan.se/forum/showthread.php?threadid=33247Here are some brief summary points translated into English:

PLUS: Ger tillgång till 4/3-systemets objektiv för en billig peng. Ger ett fantastiskt bra bildresultat med RAW från Olympus Studio i High Function mode. Inte att förglömma, det unika ultraljudsfiltret för dammskydd av sensorn. Gives you access to all the fine 4/3-lenses for a modest priced body. Very good photo results with Studio using HF mode. Not forgetting to mention, the SSWF!

MINUS: Vitbalans och exponering behöver träning att bemästra. Tar plats med två objektiv och en blixt i väskan. WB and exposure needs some practise to master. The body with two lenses and a flash requires a backpack for transports.

See my photos over at MyFourThirds.com:

http://www.myfourthirds.com/folder.php?id=436

Neos
03-26-2006, 08:12 AM
I am new here, and have my first DSLR - the E300. I am moving up from P&S - Sony V1. Even though I am still waiting for my CF card from Newegg - I am shooting into the buffer. I noted that before I did the firmware update - it hunt quite a bit in dim light. I upgraded to 1.3, and I was amazed at the difference. Not perfect, but locks on most that I threw at it. Also using the SF+MF allowed me to twidle with the focus if I needed to.
I am happy. One day I will trade up and I am sure that I will be amazed at the focus speed and accuracy of my new Exxx or Ex. As of today - I am still amazed.

carman
03-28-2006, 08:38 AM
It saddens me that appearance is one of the most frequent criticisms of E-300. It looks like what it is, a camera without a pentaprism. I think after 6 months use it is easy to use, the latest firmware is excellent. I only use ISO 1600 on rare occasions any noise can be fixed with Neat Image. The gradually increasing supply of lenses is making the 4/3 system much more useable.

JAWilson
04-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Put the 14-54 lens on the 300 and you have a killer combination. It looks to me like a total pro and I respect the whole package for performance and substance. I think that Olympus made a gem here.

Hokuto
05-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Pros: excellent image quality at minimal cost. Combined with Oly's better lenses, the Kodak FFT sensor gives great value in the low ISO ranges; the body has fine button placement and menus once you adapt to them (and that's required with any camera). Excellent build quality, and obviously the built-in dust-reduction system and in-camera pixel mapping are a plus.

Cons: My biggest complaint after 14 mos is the high-ISO performance. I've discovered I use ISO-1600 more than I thought I would (local concerts), so I would like to see what th E-3 delivers. I get passable results using a variety of pp techniques and NR programs, but it would be nice to have a bit better RAW noise performance.

Price: I don't remember what I paid for it, but I purchased mine here in Japan, anyway, so it would be irrelevant to most readers of this site.

I bought into the Oly system more for the easy-to-understand lens system than the bodies per se, since my assumption was that the latter would change more rapidly than the former. But I love the odd "Edsel" shape of the e-300, and I've taken what I consider to be some very nice shots with it this past year. I emphasize that the Kodak sensor has excellent color and competitive resolution at the lower ISOs. The only real reason I could think of for going to C/N would be for the ISO performance. Based on everything I've seen, I doubt they would provide as good color as the Oly.

FWIW, back in my film days I shot Nikon F3 and F2S (mostly b/w and slides).

carman
06-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I would be interested to really know how good the 14-54 is compared to the 14-45. I bought the 14-45 & 45-150 to cover the range at the lowest price. My thinking was I would upgrade if it was neccessary to me. I will get an 11-22 shortly but after that I am not sure.

cifcap
06-20-2006, 04:16 AM
Pro\'s: 8MPs, really cool body style, and 4/3rds. I wanted to be different and the price I paid (see below) made it irresitable.

Con\'s: After four months I noticed that WB is never really correct. Though it's an easy fix in PSE. This is only a minor quibble.

Opinion\'s: I could've bought the E500 (or perhaps waited for the E330), but I wanted a dSLR right now! I really didn't like the E500s body style and the E1 was still a little pricey for me. I own Kodak's DC3400, 4800, and Sony's DSP-100. All are great cameras, but I wanted the ablitlity to change lenses and other advanced features.

Price Paid: $674.00 from New Egg for body and two kit lenses. The kit lenses aren't bad and I now own the 35mm macro and I'm loving the heck out of it!

JAWilson
06-22-2006, 05:15 AM
I'm still working on WB but accept the flaw because of shooting RAW all the time. Upgrade the lenses and don't look back. IMO, the 300 is a classic that should last a good long time.

ditto1958
06-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Well, here we are in 2006 and I've had my E-300 for about a year now. I can't believe I paid $999 for the 2 lens kit back then.

PROS: Excellent build quality, long lasting battery, feels good to hold, controls seem pretty intuitive (camera never gets in the way of taking pictures). Body and controls feel much better to me than E-500. Compared to film slr's takes wonderful shots at high ISO's and at low shutter speeds. Even though viewfinder is smaller than with OM cameras, it seems brighter with long lenses (focusing with film slr's was difficult with longer lenses). Generally excellent image quality and good exposure results.

CONS: Not easy to use in manual mode. Have to push too many buttons to get from adjusting aperture to adjusting shutter speed. It would be better to have two wheels like E-1 so one could be used for each function.

WB is undependable, but I have learned to quickly fix it in PSE 3. The other thing I have learned to do is keep a sheet of white photocopy paper handy in my bag. If the light I will shoot in is not changing, I take a reference setting using the paper. WB results are then no problem.

CONCLUSION: Was a great value compared to the competition at the time I bought it. Now is almost unbelievably affordable. 2 lens kit still cannot be beat.

JAWilson
08-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I've added lenses after buying the kit and have been very happy with the investment. The 14-54 is a great upgrade over the kit 14-45.

ditto1958
12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Update on my earlier review: I felt pretty embarassed when not long after I posted my review I found out the correct way to switch from adjusting the shutter speed to adjusting aperture in manual mode. (So that's what that funny little button on the back of my camera was for!). I actually shoot in aperture priority mode most of the time, though, since that is what I got used to years ago with my old OM-10.

davidhaile
12-07-2006, 12:07 AM
I've had my E-300 for 3 or 4 months. I was tempted by the $425 trade-in offer if I bought an E-500 but in the end I kept the E-300 because I like it so much! It is a real nice size and feels great and has been faultless. Some say it focuses slow in low light. I agree and wish that it had an IR light to help rather than using the built-in flash. But, I traded up from an E100RS that I've used for 6 years and the E-300 is a huge improvement over what I've lived with for that long. I've made some amazing photographs with this camera. The shorter 14-45mm kit lens is soft but the 40-150mm kit lens is superb and though is a little long for a regular duty lens I still use it 90% of the time.