PDA

View Full Version : Mr G

gsciorio
10-15-2005, 02:55 AM
I got into photography when I was 18. A close friend was killed in a car accident and his fiancee gave me his camera. I never knew he shot. I never had any appriciation for photography and thus Travis and I never had a photo together, not one. I cracked and read everything I could get my hands on about shooting.

I got a job at local Ritz Camera and read every manual of every camera that interested me during my lunch breaks. Eventually I became one of the best sales people in the company.

I ended up in school for 3D design and had a brief career with Fox Animation Studios and various web companies as the opened and shut down.

I stuck with sales and eventually became an executive for a small toy company.

Up until that job I was shooting on a regular basis and had fun with it. Well with that job I had not shot anything for six months, SIX MONTHS. I hated this job and all the meaning I gave to material things. Eventually hating what I did and my boss I got fired even though sales were up 65%.

It was at that moment that I became a photographer full time.

Tired of working for da man I sold everything I had including my house on a resort and moved into a small house in the art district.

That was in March 2005

Calling old leads and finding new ones was and still is hard work. I do barely make a living and it\'s getting better every month. The good thing is that although I\'m poor as crap I\'ve never been happier.

My clients love my style and I\'m now picking up new clients every couple of weeks.

Here\'s where it gets funny. Notice that I had not mentioned a thing about my gear. Well my clients love the work I do and could care less what gear I use. All they know is that I deliver on time and that my shots rock. Nothing about noise, pixel pitch, sensor size is ever mentioned EVER. They only thing is I am asked if I shoot film or digital.

My Canon friends dis me about the E1 but when they cry about how they shot a wedding or a commercial job and had to clean up ever darn image because there was dust on the lens I just look at them like I\'m dumb and say I don\'t know what they are talking about. I can shoot in the rain, in the dust it don\'t matter my E1 delivers like a tank.

On my adventures I had made many good contacts with Olympus corporate. In fact they are one of my clients now. They also sponsor me with gear when I need it and help me out with repairs and stuff.

I tried the E-300 and a 50 f/2 and was so amazed about the quality that when I had to give back the 300 I asked to hold on to the 50. I should be getting a e500 soon to play with and am working on becoming a Visionary so I can help Olympus develop better E products.

My biggest project to day is a charity project that I am working on with the corporation of Banner Health (hospital) and Olympus America. I am using my skills to create a book on the lives of families that have children suffering with a terminal disease, mostly cancer. Olympus is such a generous company that when I had asked for 10 digital cameras so that I could teach the kids to document their own lives they gave me 20 and printers too so now it\'s cameras for the kids and the parents too. The best of the children\'s photos will be selected for display at a gallery with the proceeds going directly to the children who shot the images. The book will be in retail sometime in 2006.

You can see my commercial site at - www.mrgs.net
You can see my newly launched wedding site at - www.artediamore.com
My personal site - http://homepage.mac.com/gsciorio

Thank you
Giulio Sciorio http://fourthirdsphoto.com/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/images/P92937291.jpg

First Light
10-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Hi Giulio,

Welcome to Four Thirds Photo! It sounds like you\'ve had an interesting background and I look forward to your contributions.

I also do charity work and when I do I sometimes work with several other photographers. We\'re a pretty eclectic bunch. One is a news photographer, another is a media producer, a couple are wedding photographers, one is a studio portrait photographer, another is a nature photographer. We even have an archtitectural photographer who works in the realty business in our group. On some really large shoots (like a food drop for Feed the Children) we had two dozen photographers.

I\'m the only Olympus dSLR shooter in the bunch. Most are using Canon gear and a couple are using Nikon. On occasion I also shoot with an EOS 20D.

Fortunately, no one has ever criticized my E-1 or ZD lenses. The reason: the results. If you\'ve got the \"eye\" (and it sounds like you do) the gear is of minor significance.

Like you, I love the ZD ED 50mm f2.0 macro prime. I used it yesterday to shoot my wife\'s lavendar roses for a book of poetry that she\'s been writing. I also have the ZD ED 150mm f2.0 prime and it is my favorite lens. I can hardly wait to try some of Olympus\' new \"Super High Grade\" zooms. However, I\'m waiting for a new pro body first.

Again, welcome.

Post edited by: First Light, at: 2005/10/15 11:31

llpoolej
10-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Mr G, your shots DO rock. I looked at your commercial site and the ones you displayed are very nice! I really do like your style. Style is something I am sadly lacking.

But welcome and I do think you will enjoy this forum!

gsciorio
10-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey guys,

Glad you dig the shots. My style has developed over thousands of photos and lots of experimenting. I still use my friends in my commercial work when possible.

The hardest thing about finding your style is to specialize in an area or two. You could be a generalist but that takes years and years to do and few, and I mean few, shooters are a commercial success if the shoot everything under the sun for a living.

Don\'t get me wrong I do shot a lot of different things but it\'s for fun and work is for work. I do love what I do however and am building a rep here in Phoenix as a shooter to request.

Currently I specialize in product and lifestyle but have been doing some photo-j this week.

Bojan Volcansek
10-19-2005, 11:04 AM
What a great story, your intrudction, your work and your dedication!
I\'m very honoured that you joined our community!

Sincerely yours
Bojan

fotobram
10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Interesting story Mr. G

Reminds me of the story of Elette (http://www.sjensenart.com/) aka Sara who is active member of photocamel.com
Maybe you can use each others advise ?

llpoolej
10-21-2005, 11:33 AM
I thought of Ellette too. You all ought to talk and brainstorm

gsciorio
10-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Right on guys! Thanks I will seek him out after this deadline.

AnnF
10-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Very interesting.

Thank you for sharing.

Ann

gbbiv
12-30-2005, 07:47 AM
What a great story... glad to have the likes of you participating here.