PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to my world...

russ.will
10-31-2005, 03:00 PM
I am a 34 year old buyer for a civil engineering company. I live very near, the duller than you might imagine, Cambridge in the UK.

I spent my late teens and early twenties working in local camera shops, eventually ending up with a respectable Contax setup which eventually got sold as the impulse to invest in girls and motorbikes took over. Fast forward to our (my wife's Karen) honeymoon and the prospect of what I imagined to be a once in a lifetime tour of Mexico, caused me to reaquaint myself with photography.

After much musing and a doubling of budget, I settled on a Fuji Finepix 4900 zoom. £600 ($900ish US at the time) later I strode forth equipped with a mighty 3.2mp (interpolated). Soon after I found I had been bitten by the bug (to be fair if it has batteries or an engine it's only a matter of time) as the bright new world of digital allowed the creativity of the darkroom I'd never had.

From there, via a Fuji S5000 and Oly E-20p I ended up in 4/3s land and photographically I've never been happier. Although Karen tells me I know everthing, I love pointing my E-300 at anthing that will allow, as every photo reveals how capable these things are and how much I have to learn.

Other hobbies that have absorbed stupid amounts of cash are bikes and home cinema but they are another story.

This is the only forum (dealing with any subject) I participate in because, although my sometimes curmudgeonly demeanour may sometimes suggest otherwise, its the only one I've ever come across where people actually have something useful to say, without being pure technofetishists for the sake of it. That and the fact nobody has kicked me off this or the old forum(s).

Russell

craig
10-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Russ would you like to get kicked off. :P
I am really glad you are here. Four thirds photo has come a long ways from the early days.
I love this site.
Thanks for helping it to be so.

gunnerx
10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Love the bike pics! More!!