PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Lenses Tamron SP 350mm f5.6

halfmac
12-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Tamron SP 350mm f5.6 Adaptall Mirror Lens

This is a great lens. They are rare and can be expensive on Ebay and in Camera Shops.
It is a very small and light weight lens. Can be handholdable at low shutter speeds.
No chromatic abberation. (which is in a lot of legacy lenses)

Pros: They take a very clear and sharp picture.
No chromatic abberation

Cons: Autofocus is a gonner.
For a new SLR owner, some F stop and Aperature research must be done.
A OM to 4/3 adapter must be used.
Some people don\'t like the out of focus donuts.
Hard To Find!

jebir
12-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Halfmac, you summarized this lens pretty well.

May I add to the cons that the aperture is fixed at f/5.6 which gives a dark viewfinder that makes focusing hard in less than bright light.

Regards, Jens.

mailbox
09-11-2008, 03:48 AM
Mr. Jebir

I am not very agree to u.
Most Reflex lens have F8 or F11. F5.6 is the brighter one.
from my understanding the Brighest one (and it is the only one)F4.5 is
Carl zeiss 500mm F4.5 Cost more than 10K ! !

the beauty of this lens is the 350mm Equv to 500mm to most aps sensor.
the rest is 500mm and above. too "long" for normal object espercially everyone need dream like backgraund only Reflex lens can be created.

the other one outstanding one is minolta 250mm . it is lighter and alsa 5.6,
but only for minlata MD (MF) !

tamron can adopt to any camera ! without any modification.

jebir
09-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi mailbox,

my point is that f/5.6 gives a dark viewfinder which makes achieving critical focus with such a long super telephoto lens through a 4/3 viewfinder (even the E-3) a great challenge for most photographers. Since one of the most important features of a good photograph usually is good focus, I find the f/5.6 being a severe flaw for a manual focus super telephoto lens in this system (unless you opt for contemplative shooting from a tripod using Live View to focus of course).

By the way, have you tried the Tamron 350/5.6 yourself. It is OK (but not brilliant) on the 5 MP E-1 but with the current 10 MP sensors the resolution isn't good enough.

Also, I have the Minolta MD Rokkor-X 250/5.6 and it is not at all as "outstanding" as you may think - at least not in terms of image quality. Its only positive feature is its small size.

Cheers, Jens.