PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Lenses Zuiko OM 50mm f3.5 Macro

craig
12-06-2005, 05:06 PM
50mm f3.5 Macro.

This is a great lens. They can be had inexpensively on Ebay and in Camera Shops everywhere.

Pros: They take a very clear and sharp picture.
Depending on ambient light, only 1 F stop is lost.
The subject can be brought very close to the front lens element.
The manual focus is very sensitive.
It is an outstanding landscape prime lens with a deep depth of field at infinity.

Cons: In dim light they have to be wide open.
Autofocus is a gonner.
For a new SLR owner, some F stop and Aperature research must be done.
A OM to 4/3 adapter must be used. They used to be free from Oly but are now $99.00.

laingjd
12-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Thank you Tony!

First Light
01-11-2006, 03:07 PM
The following comments were written by borgunit and were moved here since this thread already existed for this lens and the link in the Summary points to this thread.

borgunit wrote:
This is a lens that shines with the OM-4/3 adapter from Olympus. The reason why I tried it was I did not want to spend any more for a 4:3 macro lens and the OM does a fine job. You will have to trial and error with exposures but the results are excellent. Even buying a used one would probably be a good investment for your macro shots.

borgunit
01-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks for moving me. I did not pay close attention to the post. :ohmy:

carman
08-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I have just bought one of these lenses. It replaces an OM 50mm f1.8 The f1.8 is not good above f2.8 so the aperture loss for f3.5 is not serious. I use E-330 live view for focussing macro so this is fine. The advantage is closer focusing without extension tubes. I use ebay OM-4/3 adapter fro Hong Kong. Works fine.

carman
08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I have just bought one of these lenses. It replaces an OM 50mm f1.8 The f1.8 is not good above f2.8 so the aperture loss for f3.5 is not serious. I use E-330 live view for focussing macro so this is fine. The advantage is closer focusing without extension tubes. I use ebay OM-4/3 adapter fro Hong Kong. Works fine.

I forgot to add an image taken with this lens.

David M
12-27-2007, 06:04 PM
I've owned/used three of these over the years and found significant sample variation.

The first was an outstanding copy but was stolen. The replacement for the stolen lens had significant barrel distortion. The third, which I still own is good but not as good as the first.