PDA

View Full Version : Upstate NY

gbbiv
12-27-2005, 08:37 AM
My photo hobby has grown steadily over the past few years. Digital has really encouraged me as it fits great with my short attention span and computer background. I\'ve started a small photo business to help pay for some of my gear and have been having a great time. I am curently shoot the E-1.

AnnF
12-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Cool. It\'s always nice to get a return on the investments! I\'m getting some on mine as well.
Look forward to seeing some of yours.

Ann

gbbiv
12-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Yes it is nice to get paid for something you love to do!!! :)

The only issue I have is that I have been going backwards so far :S , the overhead of business can be significant and the responsiblity adds a bunch of cost... can\'t show up for a wedding and say... oooops my battery is dead, oooops the one camera I have isn\'t working right now,... etc.

Bojan Volcansek
12-28-2005, 08:38 AM
gbbiv wrote:

Yes it is nice to get paid for something you love to do!!! :)

The only issue I have is that I have been going backwards so far :S , the overhead of business can be significant and the responsiblity adds a bunch of cost... can\'t show up for a wedding and say... oooops my battery is dead, oooops the one camera I have isn\'t working right now,... etc.

That is ABSOLUTE truth what you are saying! So please be VERY carefull and don\'t allow that all the constraint of JOB (when you are earning money let\'s called that a job) ruins your please from photographing!

Yours Bojan

AnnF
12-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Yes, very true indeed. That\'s why it\'s helpful to have a backup. I did a wedding in December of last year and used my new E-1. I had my husband use my older digital as a backup and he got a few shots that I didn\'t get a chance to. WE could tell a difference in the quality, but the party couldn\'t and they were happy with them all anyway. But I only had one good camera, flash, etc. Now I have an extra body I just aquired and am slowly making back my investment.

Ann

gbbiv
12-28-2005, 08:53 AM
It can be a interesting balancing act at time... but right now it is all very fresh and very fun. I really do like almost every aspect of the business and photography. The really good thing is the business part gets me out there trying new things... always pushing the envelope.

The thing I have to be careful about in the \"taking away the pleasure of photography\" area is that there is only so much time and when you have deadlines and family commitments and \'real\' job commitments it can get frustrating.

Thanks for the encouragement... it is always important to keep things in perspective.

AnnF
12-28-2005, 09:11 AM
I know what you mean. For me (at the moment), I have all the time in the world since my husband passed away 5 months ago tomorrow. He used to encourage me to take more pictures sell more stuff, haha.
The Santa Cruz boardwalk wants me to come down before it opens and get shots of the carousel because they want photo cards of that now because it will be 85 yr old in 2005, and the boardwalk will be 100 the following year and they\'re already working on merchandising for that. I\'m confident the E-1 will do a good job, but I do have some kind of deadline to work with.

Whenever I had a \"job\" to do, my husband would go with me and we made it into a fun trip. And when I did the weddings, I made those fun for the ones getting their pictures taken. I never made demands on the party. I told them that it\'s their day and I would do things however they wanted them and made them feel very comfortable.

Ann

gbbiv
12-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Very sorry to hear about your husband.... I\'m sure he is still encouraging you it just might be a bit harder to hear.

The boardwalk deal sounds exciting... the carousel would be great fun to photograph... I\'ll bet there are some great detail shots as well as fun \"movement\" shots.

Making things fun is a big part of being a good \'people\' photographer, if you can do that well then you won\'t ever be in want of work.

Take Care,
gbbiv

AnnF
12-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks.

Well, I didn\'t think of it that way, about the people person. I guess you\'re right about that.

I hope things look up for you so you don\'t have so many expenses.

Ann