PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Colorado, USA

James Pilcher
02-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Hello folks,

I'm Jim Pilcher. Like many of you, I've been active at dpreview. It's been almost two years since I joined there. It has changed to the point that I need a change. One of the active members here, Bojan Volcansek, alerted me to FourThirdsPhoto. I joined a couple of weeks ago, but have not yet participated. I'm changing that now.

I started with 35mm photography in 1972 with a Minolta SRT-201. I had a 50mm f/1.7 and a 135mm f/3.5(?), both Rokkor-X lenses. Then the Olympus OM-1 came out and I jumped, much to my young wife's dismay. I had one of the first of those cameras in the USA, as a cousin stationed in Japan shipped me one from his military base. I eventually graduated to the OM-2 and the OM-4. When Olympus stumbled badly with AF, I switched to Canon in 1991 in order to chase my two young boys. I stuck with Canon (EOS-1, several zooms (L included), a 100mm f/2, 200mm f/2.8, and a fisheye) until June of 2004 when I jumped to Olympus when going digital. I've never regretted that decision.

Most of my photography revolves around my family and its activities. I know a lot about the mechanics and technical aspects of the discipline, but I leave judgement of my artistic competence to others. Being a computer programmer and database developer, artistic creativity doesn't come as naturally to me as other abilities. On the other hand, the legacy I'm leaving my family far outstrips what my parents and grandparents left for me. I can count on one hand the number of photos I own of myself as a child. That being said, anyone looking at what I do will see lots of people, parties, and vacations. That's not all I photograph, but it comprises the bulk.

I look forward to conversing with all of you here. It's 4/3 and I'm solidly in that camp.

By the way, I have an E-1, 14-54mm, 50-200mm, HLD-2, GS-1, FL-50, Canon off-Camera Cable 2, Heliopan filters, Expodisc, Gitzo tripods, about 37 camera bags, Contax T3, and a pair of Leica 7x42 binoculars. I'm waiting anxiously for the Zuiko 8mm f/3.5 fisheye to add to my lens collection. And I lust after the 150mm f/2 and the 35-100mm f/2.

tspore
02-13-2006, 10:38 AM
James,
Welcome to the board.
We have had many conversations in the past, when I was their. (Of course I had a different name... But I am leaving that as a mystery as some accused me:) :naughty: anthonys)
Anyhow, welcome. I think to help you break, you need to commit to making 4/3 photo your home page. :cool:
JK
But no matter what Welcome.
Tony

gunnerx
02-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Welcome! I was also an active DPR forums member but with all the drama going on in there right now I'd rather be here. :)

Den
02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi there! Welcome to MFT - come rest awhile, and take some photos...

James Pilcher
02-13-2006, 03:09 PM
OK, I've taken Tony's challenge. My home page is no longer Google. It's FourThirdsPhoto.:doh:

Bojan Volcansek
02-20-2006, 05:54 AM
OK, I've taken Tony's challenge. My home page is no longer Google. It's FourThirdsPhoto.:doh:
Wow!!! I can't believe that we are competition to Google :)
Well, if you use Firefox then you can have best of both worlds - make a home page fourthirdsphoto.com and use search bar for google :)

Yours Bojan

tspore
02-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Maybe I should add a goggle search bar to the site. I didn't think about it before, because Safari, and Firefox both have it built in.
I think against goggle we would win.:nailbiting: :no:

benherrmann
02-25-2006, 09:47 AM
How many folks have transitioned to this forum already - just within the past week? Must be many, many...that's great. Anyway, many of us are here, along with our varying degrees of humor. It's great...

No trolls (other camera owners wanted to incite).
Wonderful method of posting (you will eventually get hooked on the edit function and the other formatting options).
The site owner and moderators are fantastic (you know who they are and they blend right in - unlike somewhere else where you don't know whose who).

It just takes getting used to and once you do, when you do happen to post something over the "other site," it will actually feel...disappointing or shallow. That's a difficult one to explain, I know...but you'll know what I mean when you've grown accustomed to this site and then post over there (especially if you made a spelling error or left out a word or two...but now cannot do anything about).

george_online
02-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi James,
many of us migrated here recently.
George

James Pilcher
02-25-2006, 11:00 AM
How many folks have transitioned to this forum already - just within the past week? Must be many, many...that's great. Anyway, many of us are here, along with our varying degrees of humor. It's great...

It just takes getting used to and once you do, when you do happen to post something over the "other site," it will actually feel...disappointing or shallow. That's a difficult one to explain, I know...but you'll know what I mean when you've grown accustomed to this site and then post over there (especially if you made a spelling error or left out a word or two...but now cannot do anything about).

I'm spending about three times as much time here than at that other site right now. I don't see myself visiting there in the future nearly as much as I used to. I'm also glad that many folks signing up here are using their familiar handles. Makes FTP seem even more like home.

I'm getting used to this site. There are a few things I haven't worked out yet, and sometimes clicking things here causes something unexpected to happen. I don't know yet if that is me or the site. I'll blame it on my computer for now.

See ya around.:)

James Pilcher
02-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi James,
many of us migrated here recently.
George

I hope to see many more familiar folks here. Thanks for your welcome.