PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the farm in Ontario

Judd Kiteley
02-20-2006, 09:12 AM
I bought the farm north of Toronto after retiring from IBM. I don't know how computers led to farming but country life and getting away from suburbia was the appeal. I raise meat goats and my wife breeds and shows Jack Russell Terriers.

I joined this forum after several years lurking on DPR. It was getting to be too difficult avoiding the trolls over there. I owe that forum a lot though because I joined shortly after buying my first digital, an Olympus 2020, and they shortened my learning curve.

I got into digital to take pictures of our Jack Russells for registration and then our website. A couple of years ago I got a 740 to get pictures of the deer and wild turkey roaming across our fields. Last year I got an E-10 because I needed quicker focus lock on action shots of the dogs and my grandsons hockey games. I had lusted after that camera since it was announced and last year the price came into reach. The E-10 got me hooked on photography and now I am lusting after the E-1 and expect to buy one very shortly with 14-54 and 50-100 lenses as well as the grip. I hope it will be a little faster to focus lock than the E-10 because I need a bit more speed for hockey pictures.

If any dog lovers are interested our website is jrranchterriers.com and you should go to the latest puppy page to see a litter from birth to weaning and beyond. We record the progress of each litter on the website.

I hope to add another section to the site of some of my favorite photos around the farm. The view from our deck gives us photo opportunities almost daily.

And now back to lurking.

Thanks for this forum,

Judd Kiteley
www.jrranchterriers.com
Ontario, Canada

AnnF
02-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Great shots, Judd.

I like the one of the kid on the donkey's back. I have a friend in Hawaii who raises Nubians. My late husband & I were going to get a JR probably this year. Some day, I guess. Are you in the US right now showing one of the dogs?

Ann

Judd Kiteley
02-20-2006, 09:59 AM
I like the one of the kid on the donkey's back. I have a friend in Hawaii who raises Nubians. My late husband & I were going to get a JR probably this year. Some day, I guess. Are you in the US right now showing one of the dogs?
Ann

My wife shows the dogs at JRTCA events in the US from early spring to late fall. She has contacts all over the US and Canada so can help you find a good breeder in your area when you are ready to get one.

Judd

AnnF
02-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Ok, thanks.

Ann

Bojan Volcansek
02-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Welcome Judd,
it is amazing how many us Canadians are on this forum...
Considering you getting E1 and the grip with 14-54 and 50-200, perhaps you can check cameta's E1 with the grip for 750US.

Yours Bojan

Judd Kiteley
02-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Welcome Judd,
it is amazing how many us Canadians are on this forum...
Considering you getting E1 and the grip with 14-54 and 50-200, perhaps you can check cameta's E1 with the grip for 750US.

Yours Bojan

Thats what I am looking at and buying the 40-150 with it on auction there. The 14-54 is $400 at J&R so will probably get it there. I opted for the 40-150 because I will be using it mostly outdoors in good light and the price of the 50-200 is too steep right now for me. But I would love the 50-200 for hockey pictures ...... some day.

Thanks
Judd

Bojan Volcansek
02-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Thats what I am looking at and buying the 40-150 with it on auction there. The 14-54 is $400 at J&R so will probably get it there. I opted for the 40-150 because I will be using it mostly outdoors in good light and the price of the 50-200 is too steep right now for me. But I would love the 50-200 for hockey pictures ...... some day.

Thanks
Judd

Great, I wish you successful bidding and great fun once when you get it!
If you need sometimes 50-200, you can rent one from Vistek, I rented one for the last summer Roger's cup Tennis tournament at the York University. I think was something like 35CAD for the whole weekend (rent it on Friday after 4:30 and bring it back on Monday before 9 or 10 - you can check details, prices etc on their website - http://www.vistek.ca )

and if you want just to test it, we can always try to arrange a meeting - visit you at your farm or arrange some nice hikking and shoot in Ontario/Algonquin or something similar (don't know exactly and far away from Toronto you are located)

Yours Bojan

Judd Kiteley
02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Great, I wish you successful bidding and great fun once when you get it!
If you need sometimes 50-200, you can rent one from Vistek, I rented one for the last summer Roger's cup Tennis tournament at the York University. I think was something like 35CAD for the whole weekend (rent it on Friday after 4:30 and bring it back on Monday before 9 or 10 - you can check details, prices etc on their website - http://www.vistek.ca )

and if you want just to test it, we can always try to arrange a meeting - visit you at your farm or arrange some nice hikking and shoot in Ontario/Algonquin or something similar (don't know exactly and far away from Toronto you are located)

Yours Bojan

The Vistek rental is an interesting option.
You are welcome to visit the farm anytime just send me a PM. We are about an hour North of Toronto.

Judd

gunnerx
02-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the forums Judd! Glad to see another Canuck in the forums. :D Where abouts is your farm? I am located in Markham around Major Mac and 404. I think there's still some farms left located north of here. :)

Judd Kiteley
02-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the forums Judd! Glad to see another Canuck in the forums. :D Where abouts is your farm? I am located in Markham around Major Mac and 404. I think there's still some farms left located north of here. :)

I left Markham in 95 a couple of years after retiring. The farm is about 35 minutes north, Just north of Zephyr.
If people are interested maybe I could host an Oly shoot up here. I'm sure I would learn a lot from you folks. Lots of room to roam and shoot on 100 acres.

Judd

NrthrnHrse
02-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Welcome Judd,

Glad to see another northerner on the board. Hopefully we'll get rid of this snow sometime soon! :ranting:

Judd Kiteley
02-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Welcome Judd,

Glad to see another northerner on the board. Hopefully we'll get rid of this snow sometime soon! :ranting:

NrthrnHrse
Thanks, for the welcome. This has been the oddest winter I can remember. Cold in December, warmest January in many years and no snow, and now real winter. The best thing is its almost over. I had to take a picture of my goats grazing in the pasture in early February because I had never seen that before. Normally the would never go out there with the snow above their bellies.

Judd

NrthrnHrse
02-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Yep there is finally light at the end of the tunnel! We had freezing rain this weekend and now snow. It's crazy out there! I'm in Alaska BTW so I'm your northern neeeighbor. (sorry had to put a horse reference in there!):whistle:

Bojan Volcansek
02-21-2006, 06:27 AM
I left Markham in 95 a couple of years after retiring. The farm is about 35 minutes north, Just north of Zephyr.
If people are interested maybe I could host an Oly shoot up here. I'm sure I would learn a lot from you folks. Lots of room to roam and shoot on 100 acres.

Judd

WOW, that's great invitation. I know that at least my wife and I will use it :)
But perhaps we can think about a real fourthirdsphoto meeting and organizing something.

Yours Bojan

Judd Kiteley
02-21-2006, 07:39 AM
WOW, that's great invitation. I know that at least my wife and I will use it :)
But perhaps we can think about a real fourthirdsphoto meeting and organizing something.

Yours Bojan
Bojan
Yes, thats what I was thinking about. I wonder how many in the Toronto area would be interested. I am not well known on the forums so perhaps someone well known could organize it or at least help extend the invitation.
I bought the E-1 last night. Now the tough part is the waiting until it arrives.

gunnerx
02-21-2006, 08:23 AM

Judd

Cool! That's not too far from here. I'm sure my Shi-Tzu would love to run around the country side. A trip up there on a nice warm sunny day would be great. I have some lenses too that you can try out. :) 50-200mm, 11-22mm, 50mm macro and EX-25.

Bojan Volcansek
02-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Bojan
Yes, thats what I was thinking about. I wonder how many in the Toronto area would be interested. I am not well known on the forums so perhaps someone well known could organize it or at least help extend the invitation.
I bought the E-1 last night. Now the tough part is the waiting until it arrives.

Congratulations on E1 and I'm compassionate with you while you are waiting!

For the meeting, let's organize something when nice weather arrives? For the number of people I think we can find that out quite quickly, either by some poll, or by some special new thread with the title like "who will participate in the real life meetup of fourthirdsphoto members at the farm 35km north of Toronto"
- for example - or something shorter but meaningful :)

Since you know your area the best, suggest what time of year would be the best for photo opportunities.

Yours Bojan

Judd Kiteley
02-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Cool! That's not too far from here. I'm sure my Shi-Tzu would love to run around the country side. A trip up there on a nice warm sunny day would be great. I have some lenses too that you can try out. :) 50-200mm, 11-22mm, 50mm macro and EX-25.

Gunner
You are welcome any time. Just email me and we can set it up from there. See also the conversation with Bojan regarding a day on the farm with this group.
Pehaps you and Bojan could come up for an afternoon shoot sometime and we could discuss the group event then.

Judd Kiteley
02-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Congratulations on E1 and I'm compassionate with you while you are waiting!

For the meeting, let's organize something when nice weather arrives? For the number of people I think we can find that out quite quickly, either by some poll, or by some special new thread with the title like "who will participate in the real life meetup of fourthirdsphoto members at the farm 35km north of Toronto"
- for example - or something shorter but meaningful :)

Since you know your area the best, suggest what time of year would be the best for photo opportunities.

Yours Bojan

I would think early summer after the ground is dry and the fields have greened up would be best. But then there is the fall with all its colour.
Perhaps you and Gunner could come up sometime and we could discuss it further. Just PM me and we can set it up.