PDA

View Full Version : New Member in Oklahoma

Alex
02-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Hello,
My name is Alex, and I am a new DSLR convert from a point and shoot Panasonic FZ-10. I loved the FZ, but my subject became mobile, (a 14mo old little girl), and I found the FZ lacking in autofocus capabilities, so it was time for an upgrade. I am the type that usually has serious buyers remorse, so I consider my purchases very carefully. After playing around with the D100, the Rebel XT and the E-500, I felt that the -500 was a better camera for me. That said, I found a great deal on the body plus the two lense kit, so I went for it. A tiny bit later I realized that what I really wanted was a good portrait lense, so I bought the 50mm Macro lense. Wow, that thing is awesome! My main reason for photography is to take family momentos and to visually document my children as they grow up. Plus, it is a fun hobby and keeps me out of the bars! I am a complete amateur at this, but want to get better, so I will be asking alot of questions for those kind folks that understand photography. I'm sure that I will ask some dumb ones as well, so I apologize in advance for that!.

Here is my first question.
What to buy Next.
If you had around 1000$ to spend on oly gear, and you mainly took indoor snaps of family and friends, would you want a 11-22 or a 14-54? I know that a flash is also on the list of things to buy, but the other half is in a rare mood and might let me slip something like this under the money-radar. What benefits would a lense like this bring me, over the 50mm Macro for facial expressions/candid shots? Sense I already have the 14-45, would you rather have a 14-54, and bag the '45 or get an 11-22 for greater flexibility?

Here is question #2, have about 8mos to think about it ;)
We are expecting a second child, and the hospital allows camera work in the delivery room. Most likely not allow a flash. What one lense should I use?
14-45, 50mm, 40-150(or whatever that other kit lense is), or a newly purchased 11-22 or 14-54?

Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration and cooperation,
Alex

llpoolej
02-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Welcome aboard and I understand the family photo things. With two kids, two dogs and a horse, I have looooots of family photos

As to which lens, my choice would be the 11-22. For the delivery, I would probably use the 50mm f2. The 14-54 is a great lens, but, if you are happy with the quality of the 14-45, I would go with the excellent 11-22. Gives you a whole different perspective.

You will probably be able to shoot at 400 ISO in a delivery room. They are fairly brightly lit.

Alex
02-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the advice. So for me, right now the 14-54 is not on the books.

Which brings me to my next question.

11-22 or 50-200?

I know that they are for completely different uses, but which lense do you think I would use more? I do have the 40-150, but those long focal lengths are impossible to photograph a small child with. They just don't sit still long enough :) . The 50-200 gets great reviews and so does the 11-22.

How much better is the 50-200 vs the 40-150?

Since the wife is in a rare mood, I could get either lense, but not both ;)

Thanks again!

Alex

</IMG></IMG>