PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and salutations from Pickering, Ontario

Robtron
02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Hello Everybody.

I live in Pickering, Ontario (part of the Greater Toronto Area). I got an E-500 late last year with the dual lens kit and I have yet to fully exploit its potential. So far I do like the results of the pictures that the camera takes.

I started photography with Pentax ME Super - way way back - which was a very good compact camera. I then came across an in-depth review of an Olympus optics (I don't remember the lense or the magazine) and the high rating that the reviewer gave it hooked me. I told myself then "I've got to get me one". I then moved on to Olympus 77/707 which got me by. I still have it and it still functioning but the battery compartment cover needs replacement

I took a long hiatus from photography in the 90's. Then in early 2001, I was gifted with a Nikon FM10, a very basic fully manual SLR. I was hooked again. I then re-started to follow closely Olympus' offerings. I could not afford the E-1 when it first came up, so when the E-500 was released I did not lose any time getting one and I am sure I was one of the first person to buy one from Henry's -with no camera in-depth review notwithstanding.

I am hoping to learn from you all and hone up my photography skills in the days to come.

Regards.

Robert

llpoolej
02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Welcome Robert! Glad to have you here. I use the E-1 and my husband the E-500, I have enjoyed both of them. That LCD on the E-500 is awesome!!!

gunnerx
02-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Welcome fellow Canuck! Pickering eh? That's not too far from Markham. :D Which Henry's do you go to? I usually visit the main store on Queen St. but their prices are just way too high for me.

Hope you enjoy it here. :cool:

Robtron
02-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Hello llpoolej and gunnerx,

Thank you both for the warm welcome. I have been lurking at DPR for quite a while and actually registered early this month. I have read both your postings at that site. I actually came across this site from one of the postings at DPR.

I am sure I will learn a lot from you both having seen your postings and admired your photos at the other forum. This forum sure feels home to me.

Gunnerx, I go to Henry's at Pickering and sometimes at the downtown or Oshawa outlets. I have learned much later that their prices were quite high compared to some others. However, I wanted to get that e-500 so bad that I took the bait and bought it from them. They were the first one to have the camera on stock. Since then I have discovered a supplier out of BC that sells Oly stuff for much less and w/o PST!!!. Let me know if you are interested.

Thank you and regards.

Robert

SonyaLynn
02-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Nice to see so many of us Ontario folk on here! I'm southwest of T.O. in the now cold snowy KW-Waterloo area:)

Take care,
Sonya
http://www.pbase.com/sonyalynn

gunnerx
02-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Rob, I sure am interested! Maybe you can PM me the info. :D

Sonya, I actually went to U Waterloo and graduated in '99. I enjoyed living there as it was nice and quiet. It was a nice getaway from the big city. I actually go there occasionally for Golf's Steak House and the vietnamese restaurant now by Conestoga which used to be in Kitchener on King st.

Judd Kiteley
02-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Rob
Greetings from the North. Sure a lot of folks on here from Ontario.
I just bought an E-1 and am looking for good prices on lenses so would appreciate it if you could PM me the name of the distributor in BC.
Thanks

Robtron
02-23-2006, 06:41 PM
SonyaLynn and Judd Kiteley,

Hello to you both and thanks for the warm greetings. Sonya, I took a peek at your website and you have great photos on exhibit. As soon as I have fully setup my PC and all, I will try to touch base with you on how you did the photo touch up.

Judd, I will PM you the info regarding the reseller from BC. A very good friend of mine swears by this reseller.

I am amazed with the multitude of Canadians in general and Ontarians in particular on this forum.

Regards.
Robert

Pavel
02-23-2006, 07:15 PM
So that nuclear power station hasn't blown up yet? In the seventies ... they were sure it was going to. My school was close enough that it would have gone with it. :)

Pavel
02-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah, Sonia - your shots show a good eye and high skill. Very nice. :)

Robtron
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Hello Pavel,

Yup, the Nuclear Plant is still up and running. They actually have erected a wind mill in the vicinity that's supposedly be able to power 600 houses. It looks like a big electric fan from where I am. The beach front next to the nuclear plant has now a boardwalk and beach volleyball courts. It is a nice place to go to. I am looking forward to the warmer weather so I can stay longer on the beach to take some photos of the wild life in the area. Of course taking a picture of the nuclear plant is a big no - no nowadays.

So which school is that if I may?
Thanks and regards.:yes:

Bill Gates
02-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Nice to see there are a few members here from Ontario. We should schedule a group meet when it gets a little warmer, somewhere in the GTA. :up:

Pavel
02-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Robtron ... I went to Sir Oliver Mowat CI. It's at the last spot in West Hill ... not quite pickering but we could see the powerplant from the water around the curve of the lake. I still remember when the pickering mall was built back in 72 or 73 - used to go shopping there and then they rebuilt it in the early eighties. They made it much bigger and fancier.
But pickering used to be waaay out there back then.

I'd love to go back and visit Toronto one more time. It's been since 98 that I'd been back and if I manage to get up there in the summer I'd love to meet up with a couple of the members from this place - over a molson or labbats blue :). There seem to be many people in the Toronto area with good taste in photo gear :D

SonyaLynn
02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Pavel & Robtron-

Thanks for the kind words:) A meeting in the GTA could be very cool. A lot of great places to shot when the weather gets warmer and also a lot of great places to get a cold one. I don't think as many people drink Blue or Molson's any more though, now it seems to be either Corona or Keefe's! Personally, I like Dos Equis ever since my trip to California last year. Usually though, I just get a strange look like I'm from another planet when I try and order it up here... I have found it a couple of times though!

Take care,
Sonya
http://www.pbase.com/sonyalynn

Ombrafoto
02-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Pavel & Robtron-

Thanks for the kind words:) A meeting in the GTA could be very cool. A lot of great places to shot when the weather gets warmer and also a lot of great places to get a cold one. I don't think as many people drink Blue or Molson's any more though, now it seems to be either Corona or Keefe's!

Wait a second....
Part of my conditions for moving the 20 miles over the border was being able to get my Blue..
At least I have some of the yanks drinking a decent beer....:D

SonyaLynn
02-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Gunnerx-

University of Waterloo is a great school. I had several friends that went there, been to a few functions there myself:) My fav steakhouse is the Charcoal on King and Fairway and I'm quite the regular @ Chicopee. I actually live in a small village outside of KW so for me going into Kitchener is going into the big city instead of getting away from it!!

Take care,
Sonya
http://pbase.com/sonyalynn

Robtron
02-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Pavel, that would be great if you could come. I will be more than glad to have a pint or two (or even more) of Molson or labbat blue with you. There are a few more brands that I consider more than just acceptable these days. Just give me (us) a heads up. I am sure there will be more than a few of us who will be glad to meet with you.

SonyaLynn and Bill Gates, that's a great idea for us to meet. I'm sure a lot of us from the surrounding areas would join the meet when the weather gets warmer. Let's get a "survey" of who would like to join.

Ombrafoto, I know what you mean;) . Cheers!

Regards.

gunnerx
02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm in for a GTA Meet in the summer. :D

Sonya, I actually have never tried Charcoal but really enjoy the restaurant beneath it. I forgot what it's called but they serve the most amazing bread in clay pots. :D

SonyaLynn
02-24-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm in for a GTA Meet in the summer. :D

Sonya, I actually have never tried Charcoal but really enjoy the restaurant beneath it. I forgot what it's called but they serve the most amazing bread in clay pots. :D

I believe that would be El Dante's you are talking about and yes thatbread is amazing. I could just fill up on that and forget the meal!

Cheers,
Sonya

SonyaLynn
02-24-2006, 10:56 PM
To Gunnerx

By the way, I love you INXS photos! Did you actually get to meet JD and the band? I'm a big fan of theirs!

gunnerx
02-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah, El Dente's! I think I'll go back there again one day. :D

To Gunnerx

By the way, I love you INXS photos! Did you actually get to meet JD and the band? I'm a big fan of theirs!
Well, in one picture you can see JD looking up at me. A fan beside me called him and asked if he could get all the other guys to look up at me so I can take a group picture but he said it was too much trouble as they had a lot of autographs to sign. Glad you like the pictures. I was going to get a ticket so I can line up for an autograph for my wife but it was all gone when I went. So that was the closest I got to them. :D Glad you like the pics.