PDA

View Full Version : Another DPReviewer looking elsewhere...

Doug Palmer
02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
things have been a bit rough at DPReview for a while but the recent spate of banning has me looking at other options. This forum looks interesting and I recognise many posters from DPReview so I'll hang around for a while.

Unfortunately the layout doesn't work properly in Safari but it doesn't look too bad. It's a shame really because I've read many forums over the last few years but never seen a forum who's software was anywhere near as good as the DPReview software; that's a matter of taste but the threading model they use is definitely to my taste.

For those that don't know me from DPReview I'm an amateur wildlife photographer who loves travelling around chasing exotic species. I've also spent a fair bit of time in the UK honing my skills for my next photographic safari ;)

Regards
Doug

llpoolej
02-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Welcome Doug! Glad to have you here and I do recognize you from dpreview

If you look at the top of the post there is a "display mode" that will allow for a threaded view like dpreview.

Bojan Volcansek
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Welcome Doug!!!
If I may add a quote from "Highlander":
"What took you so long?"
I know you very well from DPReview and I'm glad you're here. But you have to stay as well :)

things have been a bit rough at DPReview for a while but the recent spate of banning has me looking at other options. This forum looks interesting and I recognise many posters from DPReview so I'll hang around for a while.

Unfortunately the layout doesn't work properly in Safari but it doesn't look too bad. It's a shame really because I've read many forums over the last few years but never seen a forum who's software was anywhere near as good as the DPReview software; that's a matter of taste but the threading model they use is definitely to my taste.

Can you try threaded mode? What is the difference between threaded form in this forum and threaded in dpreview?

Yours Bojan

Doug Palmer
02-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'm using the threaded view but it's not as nice as the DPR threading model; do you know if I can move the threads to the bottom like DPR? Scrolling back to the top of the page to move to the next message feels a bit clumsy. I'm also finding the screen is a bit too cluttered for my liking; can I remove the flashing smilies from the right of the new post screen? I like the odd smily in messages but a panel full of them bouncing around is annoying.

Regards
Doug

Bojan Volcansek
02-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'm using the threaded view but it's not as nice as the DPR threading model; do you know if I can move the threads to the bottom like DPR? Scrolling back to the top of the page to move to the next message feels a bit clumsy. I'm also finding the screen is a bit too cluttered for my liking; can I remove the flashing smilies from the right of the new post screen? I like the odd smily in messages but a panel full of them bouncing around is annoying.

Regards
Doug

for the position of threads, unfortunatelly no, it is up and as far as I know it is not customazable. I am personally using flat view instead of threaded.

For the flashing smilies I don't have them, but could be that the reason is that I'm using basic editor (old green screen school).
You can in your profile remove some things like avatars etc, so perhaps make it a little less flashy :)

I hope you'll adapt. But please make suggestions. How else we can improve our site.

Yours Bojan

Doug Palmer
02-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks Bojan

The basic editor is much nicer ;)

Regards
Doug

Bojan Volcansek
02-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks Bojan
The basic editor is much nicer ;)
Regards
Doug

So another from the old school. I'm glad that we are still there :)

Yours Bojan

Cyriax
02-23-2006, 06:11 PM
I just registered from dpreview as well. This bannig without giving a reason thing just feels wrong. As far as the problem you stated with Safari Doug have you tried the Firefox browser. It is a free download and actually seems faster than Safari to me.

Bill_Turner
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
What Doug said!:naughty:

Doug Palmer
02-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I just registered from dpreview as well. This bannig without giving a reason thing just feels wrong. As far as the problem you stated with Safari Doug have you tried the Firefox browser. It is a free download and actually seems faster than Safari to me.

Hi Cyriax

I've swapped browsers between Safari/Firefox several times. I liked using Firefox because I had a nice plugin for displaying EXIF from images. However, I moved back to Safari because it is the only browser that really understands colour profiles and displays images as the photographer intended. Firefox under-saturates most images too much for my liking. Since most of my browsing is photography related I am more concern about images displaying properly than anything else. However, if Firefox was upgrade to understand colour profiles I'd be using it again in a flash ;)

Regards
Doug

Pavel
02-24-2006, 12:02 PM
I've been using safari for mainly that same reason. When I look at images with other browsers especially Exploder under windows I'm always surprised all over again what a gamble the color and also the contrast can be.
I'm now using srgb because it's closer - and I used to forget to convert so often.
I hope that in a few years this area will improve substantially. It sure needs to.

tspore
02-24-2006, 12:39 PM
welcome, to the site.
If you would let me know what your problems are with Safari on the site. I am using it, and I don't see any problems. DPR does have a great forum. But I personally like the flat view. It lets me quickly go through all the post. But everyone has their own preference, so that is why I added threaded view. Their is also a hybrid view that is somewhere in the middle.
No matter what their is always some transitions to a new site.

Doug Palmer
02-24-2006, 01:34 PM
welcome, to the site.
If you would let me know what your problems are with Safari on the site. I am using it, and I don't see any problems. DPR does have a great forum. But I personally like the flat view. It lets me quickly go through all the post. But everyone has their own preference, so that is why I added threaded view. Their is also a hybrid view that is somewhere in the middle.
No matter what their is always some transitions to a new site.

Hi Tony

I'm using Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.8) and a few things don't line up properly. For instance, in the WSYWIG editor the message box sticks out over the right hand edge. Also, in the read message window the message window is narrower than the rest of the layout would suggest.

On the subject of flat view; the problem is that it is difficult to work out who is replying to who. For instance if you switch to threaded view it looks like you replied to Pavel rather than to me. Mixing things up so that users can so things in there own preference adds to this confusion.

I understand that transitions can be difficult and I am trying to learn the intricacies or your site. I'm finding it difficult to keep track of new messages but I'll get used to it in time.

Regards
Doug

tvoels
02-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Just came over from dpreview - just used spell check dpreview-deprive:yahoo:

Pavel
02-24-2006, 09:02 PM
:D :D :D :)

george_online
02-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Doug.
George

orthogent
02-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Just to add to the browser portfolio info. I happen to use Netscape 7.1. I may have to go to another browser eventually, because Netscape, in their latest goofy iteration has eliminated what you techno types--just kidding- call a "mail client." I have no idea why they would do that, but it becomes a dead end for this internet jockey. :?
I got with Netscape years ago just to be a Non Slave to Microsoft person I thought and have liked it though I use Windows on my Dell. There are politics and stuff I expect. Netscape is part of AOL who is part of...? and the latest version has all these tabs and glitz which I guess are the hot thing.
Me, I prefer simplicity, and the ability to not need a manual for reference.
I guess it is a Microsoft World, and I should be checking into Outlook and stuff. But then again, why? My wife uses AOL which has its charms, and I have an AOL account too...just for fun.
PS: I am hoping to buy a handheld PC with Mobile 5.0 this year,keep a bunch of photos on it, and it only synchs, to my knowledge so far, with Outlook and IE with MS Mobile or CE or whatever they choose to call it.
Why is the world so complex for everyone not a perky teenager :-) ?
Aloha, Gerry