PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oklahoma

Alex
02-23-2006, 02:26 PM
sorry about the repost, blame linux

Pavel
02-24-2006, 08:35 PM
are you using Tux for photo editing as well?

Alex
02-24-2006, 09:00 PM
No, I use iphoto and Photoshop Elements 3.0 on a G5 powermac. Not that I am any good at using any editing software! I think I need some serious help in learning how to use these tools!

I use Unix and Tux at work, and find it lacking in userland apps for the most part.

To be honest I am a professional computer dude that has gotten bored in the world of databases/networks/and processors. I used to be one of those weirdos who would debate the intricacies of the latest hard drive or video card and take one apart to see how it ticks. The sick part about it is that I would do it even if I was not payed to! But there is no magic left in computers anymore, just planned obsolescence.

So I have decided to not buy any computer crap for a year or so and focus any extra time I have on figuring out how to take decent photos. I have had a point and shoot for a few years but wanted more, and not just a newer point-n-shoot. The idea of keeping glass around and just changing out the body is very appealing to me.

Since I got the '500 when I'm just walking around without the camera, I am thinking "WOW that would make an excellent photo!" or "DANG! I wish I had my camera!" Its like I feel a whole other world is out there waiting to be found, learning about stuff like f-stops and bokeh. For some reason its just more appealing that giga-flops and petabytes.

Sorry for the long-winded reply for a simple question!

Alex

Pavel
02-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Well the fact that you are one of those "cool" mac types is great. Better than a tux acolyte fer sure :)

I wuz just wondering what you used to import your photos under linux ... since my last attempt was a bust :)

Alex
02-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Well, even the 'cool' mac way seems to suck, or at least how I am doing it. I had the pic(s) in iphoto, e-mailed it to my self, then saved it to my desktop, then imported it that way. Now my trusty Irix box, that was a machine.

Too bad my watch has more processing power than it.

:)

Alex