PDA

View Full Version : This Feels Like Home Already

ditto1958
02-23-2006, 08:05 PM
After posting over 800 times at dpreview since December, 2004, here I am. I see many familiar names and faces here already and it feels like a very comfortable place. I live just outside of Milwaukee, Wisconsin with my wife, two kids and two dogs.

Photography has been a love of mine since 1982 when I received an OM-10 for a Christmas gift. I have been happily shooting with that camera, along with many other Olympus beauties ever since. In addition to a whole pile of OM cameras, lenses, flashes, etc., I also am the happy owner of an E-300 and a C-5000.

Other hobbies/interests of mine include camping, bicycling, good books and homebrewing.

So far, I am very happy to have found this forum!

Mr. D
02-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Great to see you here! You will love it,:yes: the people are great!

benherrmann
02-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Yup - nothing like seeing familiar login names (which many of us keep as we wander the net). Seems like you're among friends, doesn't it? Milwaukee eh - my wife is from West Allis and we lived in Milwaukee (while still in the Marines) from 91 through 93, where I retired from the Corps and relocated to North Carolina. Mannnnnn, do I miss those Friday fish fries...nothing like 'em anywhere else. And I loved eating at "Oscars" on highway 100 - the juicy, greasy, old-fashioned burgers, and that rich, rich custard style ice cream. Mannn, I'm gaining weight just thinking about that food. And of course, the massive selection of beer brands in all of the stores - ya gotta luv that! Personally, however, if I were single and living in Wisconsin, my favorite place would be Minocqua - just loved that neck of the woods.

Looking forward to your posts...

ditto1958
02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi, Ben, small world, eh? I actually live in Waukesha now, but my office is in West Milwaukee, just a few blocks from West Allis. I used to live just a few blocks from Oscar's. You're right about all the wonderful fattening food here and the zillions of brands of beer. We go to Eagle River every summer and make a trip to Minocqua while we're there (to get fatter at Paul Bunyon's). It is nice to see you here.

llpoolej
02-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Glad to see you here, it is a really nice forum. I lived in Wausau when I was aged 4-6. LOTS of snow. I miss having real snow down here.

ditto1958
02-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Glad to see you here, it is a really nice forum. I lived in Wausau when I was aged 4-6. LOTS of snow. I miss having real snow down here.

Thank you! Judging by your foal post in another thread it looks like it's much nicer in TN than it is here. I was in Nashville for Christmas and was surprised (maybe envious is more accurate) to see pansies blooming outside our hotel. It is nicer here than Wausau but it is definitely still winter.

llpoolej
02-24-2006, 01:04 PM
It is 60 and sunny here. Our winter consists of rain and red clay mud. Nothing every really goes brown and the little snow we get melts in a matter of hours.

Wausau was a snowy place. We only lived their two years as my Dad, who was a Chicago native actually found it too cold. When it flurried on 4th of July that was it, we moved. That was the early 70's though, so, it has been many years since I lived there