PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to introduce myself... (Benicia, California)

Ian MacDonald
02-25-2006, 02:11 AM
http://bismac.com/blog/uploaded_images/PC198403-768401.JPG

Originally from Nova Scotia, Canada, have been living here in California now for about 15 years-- all in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I've got a couple of wonderful kids that I terrorize constantly with my camera. My 8 year old son is onto my wily ways but my 3 year old daughter is still happy to oblige any time. Occasionally my wife will let me photograph her as well. As the designated family/friend photographer I, like probably most of you, hardly ever show up in photos. I find it kind of ironic that we end up creating this photographic legacy around us while for the most part remain anonymous.

To pay for my fun, I work as a software engineer for a local computer security company. I love my job but always look for outside detractions to while away what limited free time I have.

I also have way too many hobbies for someone with so little time. My wife simply thinks I'm on a mission to fill the house with junk. I happen to think it's perfectly normal to be on a first name basis with the UPS, DHL, and Fedex delivery folks. However for the last 3-4 years photography has remained my primary passion. I still don't think I'd ever want to do it for a living though.

My best fun so far with photography has been volunteering as the official photographer for my son's youth soccer team and maintaining a related photo website. There's nothing like taking hundreds of photos per session of the same subject to learn how to get better. Lots of practice shooting moving subjects, handling various lighting conditions as well as then dealing with the work flow issues of the large volume of photos. I can't wait to do it again.

I used to spend lots of time reading the Oly SLR forum at DPReview but lately have become quite disenchanted with the deteriorating signal-to-noise ratio over there.

I'll spend most of my time here soaking up the interesting and useful information from our amazingly knowledgeable members. I also promise to occasionally answer a question or two myself when I think I can share something relevant.

[I just finished watching the Canadian men's curling team take Olympic gold. Go Canada! It almost makes up for the dismal men's hockey performance.]

Cheers all,

-- Ian

benherrmann
02-25-2006, 05:34 AM
Gosh, that pictures makes you appear like "Simon Cowell" taking a photo :doh:

I can't get over the number of folks now chiming in here also. Took me several weeks to adjust only because of the fact that we get so accustomed to using one forum, that it becomes addicting. So I started to force myself to chime in here periodically and I became adjusted to this place. Definitely is friendlier, has it's characters, but nothing negative like "you know where." The moderators here and owner are very down to earth. And of course, you can "edit" your posts and format them the way you like. You will see, the more you use this place, the more accustomed you will become to it and love it.

Pavel
02-25-2006, 06:10 AM
Great Bio! I am in a similar situation as you.
You think we could start a club here. "Hi. My Name is Pavel. I'm a gadgetaholic." " Wait, never-mind ... I like it! Gotta go ... besides the ups guy should be at my house right about now - Bye!"

Short meeting :D

Ian MacDonald
02-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Gosh, that pictures makes you appear like "Simon Cowell" taking a photo :doh:

Perhaps there is a good reason we stay hidden behind our cameras then.:blink:
On the other hand I better put a stop to this "Simon Cowell" look-alike thing right now:
http://www.bismac.com/albums/album02/PC048015.jpg
There, is that better?

Thanks again for the welcome!

Cheers,
-- Ian

SonyaLynn
02-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Ian!

Great bio! It's nice to see a Canadian living in California who hasn't lost his loyalties to his native land! My brother lives in the Bay area as well and proudly sports his Canadian flag outside his house! You definitely live in one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Take care,
Sonya:)
http//www.pbase.com/sonyalynn

Ian MacDonald
02-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Great Bio! I am in a similar situation as you.
You think we could start a club here. "Hi. My Name is Pavel. I'm a gadgetaholic." " Wait, never-mind ... I like it! Gotta go ... besides the ups guy should be at my house right about now - Bye!"

Short meeting :D
Thanks Pavel,

"I can kick my gadget habit anytime I want." "Really." "No really, stop laughing!":hysterical:

I'll see you at the next meeting I guess.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

-- Ian

ProAcFan
02-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Welcome to a fellow Canadian. It's okay if you live in Cally, once a Canuck always a Canuck. Way off topic Ian, but did you catch those boys from Newfoundland winning the gold medal in mens curling?

Mike

Ian MacDonald
02-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi Ian!

Great bio! It's nice to see a Canadian living in California who hasn't lost his loyalties to his native land! My brother lives in the Bay area as well and proudly sports his Canadian flag outside his house! You definitely live in one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Take care,
Sonya:)
http//www.pbase.com/sonyalynn
Thanks Sonya,

I lived for a while outside of Toronto (in Barrie) for a while back in the 80's while I was going to school at Georgian College.

I do love the Bay Area though. Lots of Canadian expatriates here as well. Just show up at one of the local hockey rinks and the Canadians (and Russians and other northern Europeans) come crawling out of the wood work.

I always get a kick out of trying to explain curling to folks at work. Lots of blank stares and head shaking. "So it's like shuffle board, only on ice?" "No, it's more like chess, only on ice" "Huh?!"

Cheers,

-- Ian

Ian MacDonald
02-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Welcome to a fellow Canadian. It's okay if you live in Cally, once a Canuck always a Canuck. Way off topic Ian, but did you catch those boys from Newfoundland winning the gold medal in mens curling?

Mike
Thanks Mike,

Yeah, I tivo'ed the curling match and then stayed up half the night watching it. Go figure. Those folks from Newfoundland were mighty impressive. That six shot end in the 6th that sealed their fate was also amazing as were the deadly accurate multi-rock take outs that they were able to pull off. They were certainly on their game that day. [Sorry everyone else for the curling talk.:rolleyes:]

Cheers,

-- Ian

Reiska
02-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Hello, Ian

Welcome on board. I have to welcome you though I am chagrined by the results in Torino Olympic games. About an hour ago Finland lost the ice hockey game against Sweden, our most hated enemy ;-) and a couple of days ago Canada won goldmedal in curling, silver again. I don't understand what to do! There are five million Finns in the world and in that gang we cannot find good enough chaps to win!

You origin are in Canada, so it's not necessary to tell, that I am partly joking. Of course we could bunch up a winning team.

Who's this gaga, please take a look

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.fi/lauro/

Ian MacDonald
02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Hello, Ian

Welcome on board. I have to welcome you though I am chagrined by the results in Torino Olympic games. About an hour ago Finland lost the ice hockey game against Sweden, our most hated enemy ;-) and a couple of days ago Canada won goldmedal in curling, silver again. I don't understand what to do! There are five million Finns in the world and in that gang we cannot find good enough chaps to win!

You origin are in Canada, so it's not necessary to tell, that I am partly joking. Of course we could bunch up a winning team.

Who's this gaga, please take a look

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.fi/lauro/
Hello Reiska,

Sorry about the Olympic hockey and curling. What can I say? I really enjoyed the Finland/Russia hockey semifinal game. I was sure that Finland would make a good showing in the gold medal match after seeing how well they played as a team (unlike the Canadians:doh:). One of the TV commentators said "The Finnish team is not playing like a bunch of individual NHL players, they are playing like a team of guys with Finnish flags on their backs."

Thanks for the link to your site. That's quite a collection of cameras you have there! After looking through a few of the old cameras it jogged a memory of my dad giving me a Kodak Brownie when I was about 10 years old. Hmmm, I wonder where that camera is now? I really liked your "Home Town Photos". I particularly liked the panoramic shots and the two images showing the trees full of frost. This photo was my favorite: http://kotisivu.dnainternet.fi/lauro/Hometown/pages/Winter.htm

Cheers,

-- Ian

Carloskbco
02-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Nice to meet you Ian!

I'm also living in this beautiful place known as th SnFco Bay Area, representing at least 500 nationalities...I live accross the Bay from you, in Pacifica in one of those houses you can see off Skyline Blvd (Hywy 35), that look like old barns, Cape Cod style.

I've lived in the Bay Area since the "summer of love" 1967, came from El Salvador, Central America to live in the Haight Ashbury, little bit of a culture shock to find a lot of people walking up and down Haight St 24/7 ,and every Sunday afternoon the street was closed to motor vehicles, and bands set up at just about every corner and passed the jugs of cheap wine (Port), and smoke those funny looking cigarretes that made you "laugh" quite a bit....

I have a wife, Paz, and an almost 5 yr old daughter, and my job is with AT&T (SBC, PacBell before) in one of their Central Offices, that provide communications to the area around City Hall in San Francisco.

Taking pics for a long time,with Minolta cameras, and now with the E300.

Take Care, Ian

Carlos

Bill Gordon
03-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Welcome aboard Ian.....I thought there was something good about your looks...you'r a Maritimer, good for you. In the area that you like it just alive with people shooting with the E-1 camera. I have a friend down there, Lory Hawley....you probably have seen her postings....she is doing great things with her camera and she has been a great help to this "Olde" guy getting started with the imac G5 that I switched to in December. You should get a group going down there...just from this forum alone!!! Then guys like me would come down for a meet in the Bay area. I have been to Huntington Beach and Los Angeles to meet people that all started out with the Olympus E-10, some still shoot with it, others have moved on but we keep in touch.
Cheers

Ian MacDonald
03-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Nice to meet you Ian!

I'm also living in this beautiful place known as th SnFco Bay Area, representing at least 500 nationalities...I live accross the Bay from you, in Pacifica in one of those houses you can see off Skyline Blvd (Hywy 35), that look like old barns, Cape Cod style.

I've lived in the Bay Area since the "summer of love" 1967, came from El Salvador, Central America to live in the Haight Ashbury, little bit of a culture shock to find a lot of people walking up and down Haight St 24/7 ,and every Sunday afternoon the street was closed to motor vehicles, and bands set up at just about every corner and passed the jugs of cheap wine (Port), and smoke those funny looking cigarretes that made you "laugh" quite a bit....

I have a wife, Paz, and an almost 5 yr old daughter, and my job is with AT&T (SBC, PacBell before) in one of their Central Offices, that provide communications to the area around City Hall in San Francisco.

Taking pics for a long time,with Minolta cameras, and now with the E300.

Take Care, Ian

Carlos
Thanks Carlos,

I've seen a lot of your posts over on DPReview. I've also noticed that you've hired from the same modeling agency as me. There's nothing like having a beautiful child that enjoys having her photo taken. My 8 year old son has almost run out of patience with me although he still occationally lets his guard down.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Ian MacDonald
03-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Welcome aboard Ian.....I thought there was something good about your looks...you'r a Maritimer, good for you. In the area that you like it just alive with people shooting with the E-1 camera. I have a friend down there, Lory Hawley....you probably have seen her postings....she is doing great things with her camera and she has been a great help to this "Olde" guy getting started with the imac G5 that I switched to in December. You should get a group going down there...just from this forum alone!!! Then guys like me would come down for a meet in the Bay area. I have been to Huntington Beach and Los Angeles to meet people that all started out with the Olympus E-10, some still shoot with it, others have moved on but we keep in touch.
Cheers Hi Bill,

I'm pleased to meet you. What part of Canada are you from?
I saw you post some photos taken near Banff recently. I lived in Calgary for a couple of years before moving to California. I wasn't too much into photography back then. I was single and spent most of my time working and cycling through the foothills. In fact I don't think I have even one photograph to prove I was even there. It's a shame that I pretty much took the fabulous environment around me there for granted.

Boy, my life sure has changed since I've had kids and became serious about photography. I take so many photos now it's probably borderline psychotic. I hear that a lot of parents with a camera habit come down with this sickness. Not sure what the cure is. I'm pretty much the designated photographer at every family event now. Things have gotten to the point where no one else even brings a camera anymore. It's just as well that I enjoy in then.:D

Thanks for the welcome and I hope to see you around the forum.

Cheers,

-- Ian

AnnF
03-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Ian,

I didn't realize that we were neighbors! I'm in Vacaville. Your picture reminds me of my husband (if you were a blonde).

Some of us in the area ought to get together and meet each others families! I go through Benicia on my way to Santa Cruz and when I visit my husband's family in Lodi (when I don't go thru SAC).

Ann

Ian MacDonald
03-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Ian,

I didn't realize that we were neighbors! I'm in Vacaville. Your picture reminds me of my husband (if you were a blonde).

Some of us in the area ought to get together and meet each others families! I go through Benicia on my way to Santa Cruz and when I visit my husband's family in Lodi (when I don't go thru SAC).

Ann Hi Ann,

I think there are a few Oly folks in the area. Did you ever see the thread started at the 'other forum' about the Olympus SLR Frappr site? Take a look if you haven't (and add yourself if you're inclined), it's pretty neat:
http://www.frappr.com/olympusslr?cx=-122.23&cy=38.13&z=8&t=0

It might be nice to arrange some local get togethers at interesting photo-op sites we each know about in the north-bay area. I also do a bit of geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com/) and am always discovering new places in the area to explore.

Cheers,

-- Ian

AnnF
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Ann,

I think there are a few Oly folks in the area. Did you ever see the thread started at the 'other forum' about the Olympus SLR Frappr site? Take a look if you haven't (and add yourself if you're inclined), it's pretty neat:
http://www.frappr.com/olympusslr?cx=-122.23&cy=38.13&z=8&t=0

Thanks, I'll check it out. Don't think I saw it before.

It might be nice to arrange some local get togethers at interesting photo-op sites we each know about in the north-bay area. I also do a bit of geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com/) and am always discovering new places in the area to explore.

I went geocaching with a friend from Napa a few years back, which was at Lagoon Valley/Pena Adobe.

Ann

jtfrazer
03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi Ian,

Welcome to the group. My wife and I spent a wonderful vacation in Nova Scotia last September. Most of our time was spent on Cape Breton Island. We set up "base camp" in Baddeck and did day trips all around the island. Everywhere I looked there were great photo opportunities, and everywhere we went we met wonderful, friendly people.

Jim

Ian MacDonald
03-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi Ian,

Welcome to the group. My wife and I spent a wonderful vacation in Nova Scotia last September. Most of our time was spent on Cape Breton Island. We set up "base camp" in Baddeck and did day trips all around the island. Everywhere I looked there were great photo opportunities, and everywhere we went we met wonderful, friendly people.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I remember visiting the Alexander Bell museum in Baddeck as a kid while I vacation with my parents. I grew up in a little town named Trenton near the Northumberland shore across from Prince Edward Island. I get back every year or so to visit my parents who still live there.

Cheers,

-- Ian