PDA

View Full Version : Hi from finemom

finemom
02-25-2006, 09:15 AM
:help:
I came over because I once mentioned to Theresa that I was afraid all the good photographers would leave DPR and I wouldn't know where to find them. I think I figured out where you all were, but can't figure out this forum just yet, so for awhile I guess I will just lurk and soak up the good information I always learn from you experts. If I could learn my E500, I can learn to get around this forum!! It seems with these "smilies", you can't really get angry you just keep smiling.

llpoolej
02-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Finemom. Good to see you over here. You will get used to the forum and once you do, you will find it easy. It does take a bit of getting used to.

The smilies are easy to use, as you have found and if you want to post a photo, you can attach it using the manage attachment buttons below or you can click on the mountain looking box up top and paste the image link in there

If you need any help, feel free to ask!:yes:

benherrmann
02-25-2006, 09:25 AM
So glad to see you here. Now let me tell you right now that yes, when you've become accustomed to dpreview (it's layout, viewing panes, etc.) you are basically used to dealing with that. But like anything else, new habits are easy to come by. What I did was to make it a point to check in here daily - not necessarily posting, but browsing would be more like it. Yes, the format of this place is different, but not necessarily inconvenient. You just have to accustom yourself to this. After around a week, I started posting more and more and the next thing you know, you will find yourself coming over here more often than not.

And besides, lots of good folks - meaning many of the contributors - have now registered here. It doesn't mean that they'll be learing dpreview, but it does signal that they'll also be here. And even though my ban over there is probably temporary, most of my participation will occur here.

Now watch, when you post, the immediate thing you will notice is that you can format your postings, add smileys, bolden print, use italics...kind of like a miniature Microsoft Works program. Then, like we all do, you post and find out that you made a terrible spelling error, or left out a word which was key to the intended meaning of a thought. No problemo...just hit the "edit" button and go in and do your thing. What could be more simple and convenient than that?

Another thing you will find that is that this place feels different in precisely another way - and that is, well...there is a more relaxed feeling here which is difficult to describe. And even when (not if) this place grows - which it is doing now - I believe this ambience will remain.

So I'm so glad to see you here. We can learn from you also...and here's a smiley to prove it!!!:D

Theresa K
02-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Nice to see you over here, we are all learning. You are already ahead of me because you figured out how to put emoticons in your post! :)

benherrmann
02-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Just do your posting and leave your cursor where you want to put the smiley. Make sure you click your mouse button so the cursor shows up in that spot. Then go to the smiley list and just click on the smiley - wallaaaaa, it will place the smiley right in the location you desired. It's that simple. Just look at the format here as a semi Microsoft Works word processor (that's what's so neat about it).

What you see happening is that as you grow accustomed to posting (and editing) here, when you do go back over to dpreview and post there...well, it will seem "shallow," not for its content, but rather for its lack of emotional format. When you are typing here and posting, the ambience here is so entirely different that it really grows on you. I'm telling you, I was the same way when I first got here...it felt unusual. I mean to say it was nice to know that we had another choice, but after posting and posting, etc., this place will grow on you. And remember, there are lots of familiar faces here and we are not bombarded with trolls from other camera make forums - how nice.

Theresa K
02-25-2006, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=benherrmann]Just do your posting and leave your cursor where you want to put the smiley. Make sure you click your mouse button so the cursor shows up in that spot. Then go to the smiley list and just click on the smiley - wallaaaaa, it will place the smiley right in the location you desired. It's that simple. Just look at the format here as a semi Microsoft Works word processor (that's what's so neat about it).

[QUOTE]
Thanks, Ben. I'll give it a go!

finemom
02-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I already like this forum because you get your messages in an email. That never happened on DPR, right? Speaking about editing, my first post posted twice and I just deleted the second one, nice feature. Also, I guess with the smilies the intent of the email is made more clear. If you write something with a smile versus an angry face we can avoid misunderstandings.

I've got a bird feeder, can you believe it. No birds yet, I guess it takes awhile. My dh of course saw 2 cardinals but not me. I guess I'll try to get him to take photos too, then I can get the new 330!! ;)

Theresa K
02-25-2006, 01:19 PM
I've got a bird feeder, can you believe it. No birds yet, I guess it takes awhile. My dh of course saw 2 cardinals but not me. I guess I'll try to get him to take photos too, then I can get the new 330!! ;) [/COLOR]
It's all downhill after you get a bird feeder! Before you know it, you will be shopping for t.c.'s, best bird seed, installing water fountains and looking into blind set ups. Enjoy!

castella
02-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Well, well, well....even Theresa K. is now in this forum! Ben, where were you in 1776 when they needed you? I was (and still am but less so) a lurker at DPR, but found the atmosphere here less charged. Hey, Theresa, did your boy recover from his breakup? I see that you are using his rose as your signature pix. Now we have to get Alekko to come over. Let's keep collecting great people and great photographers! We want to learn from you all.
Isabel

orthogent
02-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Welcome Finemom.
Funny to say welcome when one has just got off the ship and is in immigration line oneself.
I joined here about a year ago I think,then forgot about it for so long that I reregistered (I think) probably screwing up the system, but no matter.
As Ben says, we follow habits and why not,my wife has to do the online funnies first thing, right after her cup of International French Vanilla sugar-coffee. Online forums regarding Olympus like the dpreview are like mining for gold. One accepts sifting two tons of shale, for one nugget. Until it reaches the point where maybe you say heck this lode has done panned itself out...

The beauty, the magic of the internet is the ability to reach out and explore much of the world, even from an island like mine, which is so far out that even my cousins will say "When are you coming back to visit the States?"
Best, Gerry Siegel, Mililani Town, Oahu

Theresa K
02-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, well, well....even Theresa K. is now in this forum! Ben, where were you in 1776 when they needed you? I was (and still am but less so) a lurker at DPR, but found the atmosphere here less charged. Hey, Theresa, did your boy recover from his breakup? I see that you are using his rose as your signature pix. Now we have to get Alekko to come over. Let's keep collecting great people and great photographers! We want to learn from you all.
Isabel

I am hoping the atmosphere here is less charged. Yes, I am using Mike's rose, although that may change when spring finally gets here! He never did get a date for the Sadie Hawkin's dance but he doesn't seem to care at this point. It was rough for a few weeks but young hearts heal quickly. Thanks for asking, Isabel.

I think Alekko is hanging out in Oly Talk, a bit kinder, gentler dpr forum.

orthogent
03-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I pass this on just for the heck of it to finemom and Theresa, in the event you find Kim's work as interesting as I do...
http://www.photo.net/photos/Kimi

Your photofriend,
Gerry Siegel....not into flowers as subjects often, sorry,it's the durn chronic rhinitis thing (kachoo)

lkeeney
03-18-2006, 01:10 PM
I pass this on just for the heck of it to finemom and Theresa, in the event you find Kim's work as interesting as I do...
http://www.photo.net/photos/Kimi

Your photofriend,
Gerry Siegel....not into flowers, sorry,its the rhinitis thing (kachoo)

Not only are the photos very nice, I like the effective framing as well.

Lawrence

orthogent
03-18-2006, 09:08 PM
I mean stumble upon it in the hodgepodge "feedback" thread of PhotoNet. I like Kim's work. And the interesting thing is that I didnt notice,couldnt care,won't check, about what system Kim uses to shoot her subjects...the equipment between the ears to me shows imagination, care,patience, a sense of design. And not to mention: A love for animals and bird plumage, and as you say, the time and skill to use graphics to make her presentation as nice as possible.
It is so upbeat to see her gallery on a bland Marchish day even here int he tropics..(Kim must have a tough time pruning such a portfolio ,perhaps a wee too many)

finemom
03-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Orthogent,
I could spend all day on that gallery and probably will one of these days. It was just so amazing to see, thanks for the link. I have it bookmarked. I cannot tell you how many times a day I want to throw my stuff out the window and just quit. :wall: But I think this photography stuff is keeping me out of trouble, other than with the credit card!