PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Okinawa Japan!

Ronin (Ed)
02-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone! I was directed to this great homepage from Ben (great guy). I first started on DP Review Olympus forum, but got kind of disappointed in how the management deals with members. I currently own the E-300 and am waiting for my E-1 in the mail. I previously owned the following DSLRs; Pentax *ist DS, (2) Nikon D70s, and the Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D. To be honest I bought the E-300 because of the low price, but was so surprised at the superior results, so I further picked up the HLD-3 grip for the E-300. My wife owns the E-500 and she loves it. One thing I really like about the Olympus DSLRs is the very rich colors. The only other DSLR that I owned that was close or just as good was the Pentax *ist DS (I'm still a fan of Pentax Cameras). Well, I'm glad to be here and I hope to learn from everyone (I'm still quite the beginner).

Take Care and God Bless,

Ed:D
</IMG>

benherrmann
02-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Where do I send the $20 bill I promised you? :naughty:

Look guy, it takes a few tries to get accustomed to this forum. I recommend going into your "edit" options and changing the view to "Hybrid" mode, and then set the other settings to show as many threads as possible on a page. I just found this out (due to my stupidity). Once you get accustomed to this site and especially all of your posting options (edit, formatting, etc.) it all seems so pleasureable. Once you do, going back to dpreview to post...well, will seem like a shallow and lackluster thing to do.

Looking forward to seeing you post...

llpoolej
02-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Good to see you Ed!! No wonder you and Ben are pals, you both collect DSLRs! :naughty:

Hope you enjoy it here, it is a nice forum

DaveW
03-04-2006, 03:17 PM
I lived there in Okinawa for a couple of years about 30 years ago. I am sure it is very changed since then.....hope you enjoy your stay and your Oly equipment.

Hokuto
03-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I lived there in Okinawa for a couple of years about 30 years ago. I am sure it is very changed since then.....hope you enjoy your stay and your Oly equipment.

Welcome, Ed. Hey, Dave, when were you there? I'm another ex-Okinawan. I lived there from August, 1971 to May, 1973.

AnnF
03-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Hello!

I lived there when my father was in the AF. From 1969 - 1972. Lived in Ishikawa in a house overlooking the beach that my father bought before we moved onto Kadena. Then my 2 brothers were there at different times in the AF and USMC. I've seen pictures and it's nothing like when I lived there.

Welcome,

Ann

DaveW
03-04-2006, 05:07 PM
.......amazing........I was there from Dec '71 to Apr '74. Lived outside of Kadena when first there (stationed there) and then moved on base at Naha for my last year there.....lots of good memories from those times. What did you do there, Hokuto? Hey Ann....what did your Dad do at Kadena.......maybe I ran into him.

AnnF
03-04-2006, 06:23 PM
...... Hey Ann....what did your Dad do at Kadena.......maybe I ran into him.

Dave, he was a pilot. He was in charge of something to do with the C-5s. I believe with MAC. He flew the Gooney Bird a lot.

Ann

Hokuto
03-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Hello!

I lived there when my father was in the AF. From 1969 - 1972. Lived in Ishikawa in a house overlooking the beach that my father bought before we moved onto Kadena. Then my 2 brothers were there at different times in the AF and USMC. I've seen pictures and it's nothing like when I lived there.

Good lord, Ann, we probably met! I also had an apartment in Ishikawa in 1972, with several other hostpital corpsmen from Camp Hansen. I can't believe it! I used to go snorkeling along the beach there.

Hokuto
03-04-2006, 06:43 PM
.......amazing........I was there from Dec '71 to Apr '74. Lived outside of Kadena when first there (stationed there) and then moved on base at Naha for my last year there.....lots of good memories from those times.

Dave, I was a Navy hospital corpsman with 3rd Marine Division; I spent my first year up at Camp Hansen with 2/4 (includng a couple of floats with the BLT on USS Tripoli, etc.), and the last year as Navy/Marine liaison at the Army Hospital in Camp Kue (right near the beach at Sukeran).
I agree; lots of great memories. Reminds me of the experiences of Lafcadio Hearn; Okinawa was a different place, different universe.

DaveW
03-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Dave, I was a Navy hospital corpsman with 3rd Marine Division; I spent my first year up at Camp Hansen with 2/4 (includng a couple of floats with the BLT on USS Tripoli, etc.), and the last year as Navy/Marine liaison at the Army Hospital in Camp Kue (right near the beach at Sukeran).
I agree; lots of great memories. Reminds me of the experiences of Lafcadio Hearn; Okinawa was a different place, different universe.

Sheeesh, Hokuto.....my oldest son was born in Camp Kue hospital in March of '73. I was AF, however......Base Exec for Kadena......used to play golf a lot with a couple of Marines.......great times......did a little snorkeling myself around the island.

Also, for Ann......I may have run into your Dad....didn't have a lot of contact with the MAC guys, but did know a few.

AnnF
03-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Wow, small world indeed. We were up on the hill where the single family homes were. I have some pictures from back then, very beautiful. A poor Okinawan woman died there in the bay. We moved onto Kadena the following year. I went to Kubasaki 7th, Kadena middle & Kubasaki 9th & 10th grades while there.
My dad used to fly to the P.I., H.K., etc. I got to go to Taiwan twice and H.K. once. Was quite the experience. We used to catch lizards all the time in the boonies behind the homes.
My youngest sister was born at the hospital there (9th child).

Ann

Hokuto
03-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Wow, small world indeed. We were up on the hill where the single family homes were. I have some pictures from back then, very beautiful. A poor Okinawan woman died there in the bay.
Ann

Hmm, I seem to remember that; I know where your houses were, they were farther back up the road than where we lived. Were you there when someone's Datsun 240z was stolen? I had a light green 1972 Celica (also stolen at one point!) maybe you remember seeing it.
I think I remember something about the woman dying in the bay. . .gee, old memories. Can't believe it. You certainly must've driven past our apartment each day, since I think there was only that single access road.

AnnF
03-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah, my mom saw something strange floating out in the bay and commented to a friend about it being a body, but didn't really think it was. It could have been what she saw. I went down there and saw the body on the beach where an Okinawan policeman was keeping guard:(
There was the one main road then turned off with the beach to the right of it. There was also another road before that which went up to the left through the homes and then down the hill where nothing was, so really two roads.
I'm trying to remember where the apartments were. I used to go down to the village a lot. Haha, I was looking for the "black market". Never found it, haha.

Ann

BB70
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Hello!

Welcome,

Ann

Hello Ann,

I found your name while searching and happened to see you were in Okinawa We have a large group of alumni that has managed to get together (I graduated in 70) Was wondering if you have your photos on a website?Wed love to see them!