PDA

View Full Version : Another Northern VA Newb'

plg3
02-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Similar to ManassasPaul. I'm over in the Burke area of Fairfax County.

Just joined this evening. Got started with photography many years ago with a Kodak Pony 35mm camera. Rekindled the photographic interest when the three sons gave me an Olympus C-730 several years ago. What great fun. And it continues! I picked up an E-500 last October (2005) and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

I see lots of familiar faces over here, too. This looks like a good crowd to learn from.

ManassasPaul
02-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Well a fellow Paul! Good to meet you!

Did you get the 2 lens kit or the single?

plg3
02-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Paul -

Good to meet you too!

I bought the 2 lens kit (14-45 and 40-150); that's all that was available way back then (Oct 05), seemingly a lifetime ago in digital speak.

As I said, I've really been enjoying my E-500. I still have my Oly C-730. It takes great pictures but my main complaint was that it was just too slow focusing, especially indoors in less than bright light. My E-500 just keeps on clickin'.

I think my next purchase is going to be the "14-54" lens. It has received quite a number of excellent reviews from users. But on the other hand, the "11-22" looks awfully tempting... And I need to also start saving for a good flash attachment. Choices, choices....

ManassasPaul
02-26-2006, 11:39 AM
I got the two lens kit as well, and then I got the FL-36 which lives on the camera, and the last thing I bought was the 35mm macro as my old sony did macro very well, and I also liked the light lens that I can put in a fanny pack.

I bought most of my accessories from Ace Photo in sterling, VA and they seem to have a lot of stuff in stock with the e system.

plg3
02-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Paul -

You're a step or two ahead of me with equipment. I'm still saving for the 14-54 lens and flash.

I actually bought my E-500 over at the Springfield Best Buy. (Hangs head in shame.) Had a $50 off coupon and it was on special sale so it was a good deal. I'm happy with it.

Our local camera store is Photocraft in Burke Centre and over in the Twinbrook area on Braddock Road. They're on the web too doing business as ephotocraft.com. Prices are good although I've not had a chance to compare them with Ace Photo out in Sterling. They've been very friendly and helpful every time I've stopped in.

Have you checked out "DCPhotogs" over on Yahoo? They occassionally have an photo shoot outing. I thought I might try one of their outings this spring.

ManassasPaul
02-27-2006, 09:03 PM
I had thought about getting the 14-54, but the kit already covers that range, and the 35 does macro which is an ability that I really missed from my sony, and its incredibly light and small which means that I can pack it just about anywhere. But at any rate I think I'll have to put a stop on photo gear purchases for at least a year or so while I master what I've got.

The thing I get the most use out of is the FL-36, as lately I have done most of my shooting indoors in and around church.

I'll have to check out DCPhotogs, never been with a group of photographers yet.

By the way I posted a recent photo on my "intro" thread, first photo of mine that I've put in a forum.

Been great chatting with you