PDA

View Full Version : Banff National Park, Canada

E B
03-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Banff National Park, in western Alberta, Canada, was formally established in 1885. Located in the Rocky Mountains, the park is famous for its spectacular mountain scenery and contains glaciers, hot springs, and many beautiful lakes, including Lake Louise. It is Canada's oldest national park and is both a summer and a winter resort. The abundant wildlife includes elk, cougar, and bighorn sheep. Area, 2,564 sq mi.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/TMAUR/Alaska%20Trip%202005/P9171384.jpg

Camera: E-1
Lens: DZ 14-54mm at 19mm
Shutter speed: 1/1000 second
Aperture: f6.7
Exposure Compensation: -1.0 EV
WB: Auto
Shooting Mode: Ps
Metering mode: ESP
ISO: 400

Hokuto
03-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Banff National Park, in western Alberta, Canada,

You certainly have a way with pixels, EB. Thanks for that morning breather. I was in Banff back in 1991; gotta get up there again some time.

robk
03-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Stunning! I have lived in Canada my entire life and have been many places but I haven't visited our own west yet! You've enspired me to get out and play in my own back yard.

Rob

Pavel
03-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Ooooh yeah!

AnnF
03-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Wow, that is spectacular, EB! Nice job (as usual).
I have friends up in WA state I want to visit sometime. One friend said it's like 6 hours drive north of Spokane area. I would love to go up there and see it if I ever visit my friends.

Ann

E B
03-02-2006, 06:55 PM
You certainly have a way with pixels, EB. Thanks for that morning breather. I was in Banff back in 1991; gotta get up there again some time.

Thank you. When I was there I saw a lot of package tours from Japan. Banff appears to be a popular destination. It's open all year but I'd suggest about September for best weather and scenery.

E B
03-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Stunning! I have lived in Canada my entire life and have been many places but I haven't visited our own west yet! You've enspired me to get out and play in my own back yard.

Rob

Hey, I took four cats with me. If I can do it, you can do it. If you live near the border, drop down into the US and travel the interstate roads west to Montana. It'll save you some fuel money. You'll about break even on food.

E B
03-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Wow, that is spectacular, EB! Nice job (as usual).
I have friends up in WA state I want to visit sometime. One friend said it's like 6 hours drive north of Spokane area. I would love to go up there and see it if I ever visit my friends.

Ann

Pretty country. I highly recommend it.

E B
03-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Ooooh yeah!

Thank you. (NT)

Swandy
03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Very nice photo. We were there on a tour last August and I still remember how beautiful it was (and how much colder it was on the glaciers).
Thanks for the memory.
Steve

InigMntoya
03-02-2006, 07:55 PM
"aaaaaaaah"

Very nice. Very "3d" feeling, great colors....

Only "nit" for me is that maybe there's too much of the reflection -- it starts leading my eye down to where the reflection of the peak would/should be.
It is then "disappointed" to find it's not there. :-)

Bill Gates
03-02-2006, 08:41 PM
wow.. so much detail and color! great shot. very peaceful.... Banff is on my top 10 "Must Visit" list. Thanks for sharing E B...

E B
03-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Very nice photo. We were there on a tour last August and I still remember how beautiful it was (and how much colder it was on the glaciers).
Thanks for the memory.
Steve

My pleasure, always. (NT)

E B
03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
wow.. so much detail and color! great shot. very peaceful.... Banff is on my top 10 "Must Visit" list. Thanks for sharing E B...

Thank you. My pleasure. I highly recommend that location. You could spend weeks there and not run out of scenery.

E B
03-02-2006, 09:08 PM
"aaaaaaaah"

Very nice. Very "3d" feeling, great colors....

Only "nit" for me is that maybe there's too much of the reflection -- it starts leading my eye down to where the reflection of the peak would/should be.
It is then "disappointed" to find it's not there. :-)

I know what you mean. I have other versions of this image that include more foreground and/or follow the line of the mountain further down its length. Neither worked as well for me because of other intrusions into the image. Still, I can't say I'm displeased with the final result that I chose.

lkeeney
03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
EB,

I remember reading your posting of your workflow on these images in the forum over yonder. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark it.

I think it would be a benefit to a lot of us here if you were willing to repost your workflow (in detail) in a article here on FourThirdsPhoto.

I have tried to get the same look in some of my images but haven't been able to duplicate the look of your images. If I remember correctly you used some unconventional techniques in post processing.

Lawrence

E B
03-03-2006, 06:06 AM
EB,

I think it would be a benefit to a lot of us here if you were willing to repost your workflow (in detail) in a article here on FourThirdsPhoto.

I have tried to get the same look in some of my images but haven't been able to duplicate the look of your images. If I remember correctly you used some unconventional techniques in post processing.

Lawrence

Well, I'm not too sure how unconventional my workflow is and an article sounds awfully formal, I just designed it to be very simple and to maximize batch processing so my time/effort is minimized. If anyone is interested, it looks like this:

1. Shoot RAW with camera settings; Saturation=CS2, Contrast=0, Sharpness=0.

2. Sort ORF images using Studio to determine RAW development exposure settings (e.g. as exposed plus 1/3 stop or whatever.)

3. Batch process RAW develop in Olympus Studio with camera setting (except for any exposure corrections determined in step 2 above) in High Function or Advanced High Function mode. If image was shot with wide angle lens process image for Distortion Correction and Shading Compensation concurrent with RAW development. No sharpening at all, because it will lose image detail at this stage. Save image as a 16 bit TIFF file. If Image appears to have smudging or loss of detail because of over aggressive smoothing by the software, redevelop using Studio Advanced High Speed.

4. Apply any noise reduction needed (which is very seldom since I shoot ISO 100 where possible) with Noiseware software which I find to be best for landscapes:

http://www.imagenomic.com/ (http://www.imagenomic.com/)

5. Load image TIFF file into PhotoCleaner:

http://www.photocleaner.com/home.html (http://www.photocleaner.com/home.html)

and use 1-click function to:

A. Adjust levels (as necessary)
B. Adjust saturation (as necessary)
C. Resize for posting to web by cutting to 900x900 pixels max and 250-300K size (as necessary)
D. Sharpen (always except when sending straight to Qimage for printing where I use Qimage sharpening). This is the one and only time my images are ever sharpened.

Normal settings for PhotoCleaner are to have sliders 1 increment from the left stop except for Levels which is on the left stop.

6. Output from PhotoCleaner is sent to Qimage in the form of a TIFF if image is to be printed. Otherwise, select the storage format of you choice if you are keeping the image for file.

7. Special case processing: Occasionally I will have an image I want to keep but the dynamic range is just too great to display in the original. I usually RAW develop several copies of the image with 1 stop difference between exposures and then process the group of images with Photomatix to compress the dynamic range:

http://www.multimediaphoto.com/english/index.html (http://www.multimediaphoto.com/english/index.html)

I might mention that Photomatix offers the ability to sandwich multiple image the way PS does to extend the dynamic range and it also offers a new technique called Tone Mapping that only requires a single 16 bit TIFF image to extend the dynamic range. I don't know any way to duplicate that function if PS.

Out of focus or camera shake images I usually recover with Focus Magic:

http://www.focusmagic.com/ (http://www.focusmagic.com/)

Any other aberrations to ORFs I handle with PS. However, I now use PS so seldom that it’s no longer resident on my computer and I have to reload it for special projects.

8. Note that most of my images only require Studio and PhotoCleaner and sometimes NoiseWare and normally can be batch processed since I always start with images that have identical camera settings and usually RAW develop using the camera settings. The other software I routinely use also allows for batch processing but I usually use it manually.

Luke
03-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Great shot, good dynamic range. Kept good detail in the darker parts.
And thanks for the workflow lesson.
Luc

dmpbyrdwatcher
03-03-2006, 01:47 PM
EB,

not to take away from your great photo - and it is a great photo - but this reminds me of something that clicked for me during a George Lepp seminar....

sometime during his all day slideshow presentation, after looking at countless wonderful landscape and nature photos, from flowers in Holland to wildlife in Alaska and Africa, to mountains in Nepal - it suddenly dawned on me that you have to actually GO to really cool places to get really cool photos....

I know it is possible to get interesting photos in our own backyards and during nearby hikes --- but you can't get a lovely photo of Banff if you don't go to Banff.... or a lovely desert photo without going to the desert.... or a lovely wolf photo without going where wolves are....etc. etc.

simple and obvious -- but something I keep forgetting....

E B
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Great shot, good dynamic range. Kept good detail in the darker parts.
And thanks for the workflow lesson.
Luc

Thank you.

Well, I wouldn't call it a lesson. I think that photography is something we can all excell at together and when someone shows an interest in how I do things I'm always happy to share.

E B
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
EB,

I know it is possible to get interesting photos in our own backyards and during nearby hikes --- but you can't get a lovely photo of Banff if you don't go to Banff.... or a lovely desert photo without going to the desert.... or a lovely wolf photo without going where wolves are....etc. etc.

simple and obvious -- but something I keep forgetting....

I've always liked to travel. In my youth it was job related. Now it's just for pleasure. I used to take the cats and travel and tent camp and take a few pictures. Sometimes now I travel just to take pictures. The cats still come along though, and I still tent camp near my subjects if possible.

Bonanno
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks EB for the spectacular photo and the detailed post of the workflow!

E B
03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks EB for the spectacular photo and the detailed post of the workflow!

You're most welcome. (NT)

Candace
03-03-2006, 03:41 PM
This is one of your images that really interested me in your PP techniques...it is breathtaking.
I had to tell you...I could have saved you the time typing your reply, I could have just copied and pasted them from my "EB" folder ;) on my computer.:D hee hee heeee

Candace

E B
03-03-2006, 03:46 PM
This is one of your images that really interested me in your PP techniques...it is breathtaking.

Candace

Thank you. If I recall correctly, I didn't do anything special for this image. Just routine batch processing.

Candace
03-03-2006, 03:49 PM
See, your skills are amazing. :cool:

E B
03-03-2006, 03:58 PM
See, your skills are amazing. :cool:

If I take enough pictures, I'm bound to a few good captures.

lkeeney
03-03-2006, 04:55 PM
EB,

Thanks for taking the time to post your workflow again. I have it printed out and files away this time.

I also want to thank you for posting the links. I have downloaded the trial version of PhotoCleaner.

Lawrence

E B
03-03-2006, 05:42 PM
EB,

Thanks for taking the time to post your workflow again. I have it printed out and files away this time.

I also want to thank you for posting the links. I have downloaded the trial version of PhotoCleaner.

Lawrence

You're welcome. You'll find PhotoCleaner really excellent for sharpening and downsizing for the web. Not good at all for upsizing (use Qimage for that) and only mediocre for noise removal.

AnnF
03-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, I wouldn't call it a lesson. I think that photography is something we can all excell at together and when someone shows an interest in how I do things I'm always happy to share.

Indeed you have! With all the printing questions I bugged you with a year ago, I thought you would be tired of me. You were so patient and I thank you. And of course, I still have the prints you did for me back then.

Ann