PDA

View Full Version : First morning in Alaska

E B
03-05-2006, 05:04 PM
My first camp made in Alaska was at about mile 1331 of the Alaska Highway, just north of Tok, Alaska at Moon Lake. I arrived and set up my tent just after sunset. Nobody else was about but a float plane was moored to the shore about 100 yards down the lake front. I awoke the following morning and the temperature when I took this image was 34F and there was a light mist hovering above the surface of the lake. An hour or so later when I broke camp and left the temperature had fallen to 27F. It warmed up nicely to the 50s later in the day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/TMAUR/Alaska%20Trip%202005/P9091161.jpg

Camera: E-1
Lens: DZ 14-54mm zoom at 14mm.
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec.
Aperture: f5.6
Exposure Compensation: -2.0 EV
WB: 5300K
Shooting Mode: P
Metering: ESP
ISO: 800

benherrmann
03-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Your photos have "always" (and I don't say that lightly) incorporated the "wow" factor. I am always drawn into your photos - and the best thing is that I wind up experiencing the beauty of the locales you capture. I find that I am not worried or speculating about what you did to the photos - but rather that you have allowed me to vicariously experience the scenes you saw first hand.

Thanks for posting these, the ones you posted in the past, and the ones you will continue to share with us in the future.

E B
03-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Your photos have "always" (and I don't say that lightly) incorporated the "wow" factor. I am always drawn into your photos - and the best thing is that I wind up experiencing the beauty of the locales you capture. I find that I am not worried or speculating about what you did to the photos - but rather that you have allowed me to vicariously experience the scenes you saw first hand.

Thanks for posting these, the ones you posted in the past, and the ones you will continue to share with us in the future.

That's a nice compliment, thank you very much.

blindman
03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
EB Ben couldn't have said it any better. He hit the nail on the head.
I hope to take a Photo' s as nice as that one day.

AnnF
03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Ben took the words right out of my mouth. The fantastically beautiful scenes you capture I dream about taking myself (*sigh* some day:)).

Thanks,

Ann

lonewolf
03-05-2006, 10:00 PM
I love the way the pine trees line the sunset in the background. Very nicely composed.:up:

OzRay
03-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Sunsets and sunrises I think are the most difficult photos to get right. Often what you actually see doesn't translate into a good photo, moreso when there is nothing to put the photo into context (pretty colours notwithstanding).

I think this is one that works. The perspective, depth and context helps to make it a succesful sunset photo, though I would have personally trimmed some off the bottom of the photo.

Cheers

Ray

BL3
03-06-2006, 12:58 AM
EB, I always like the way your pics look spectacular without going overboard in PP, or "digiweird" as my wife says. I think that you have "the eye" and your restraint is more a matter of taste than technique. Don't let all these accolades go to your head, we're all looking forward to your latest and greatest shots.

Rock

laughingbear
03-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Magical! You can nearly hear that Grizzly in the front of the picture. ;)

Sigh.... Alaska is just to die for, literally, once the mosquitos are out <grins>....

Pontiac005
03-06-2006, 04:38 AM
WOW, nice photo! Makes me want to go camping and wake up to see that! :)

E B
03-06-2006, 06:07 AM
EB Ben couldn't have said it any better. He hit the nail on the head.
I hope to take a Photo' s as nice as that one day.

Thank you. Actually, I think I'm just one of those people fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. The great camera did all the work.

E B
03-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Ben took the words right out of my mouth. The fantastically beautiful scenes you capture I dream about taking myself (*sigh* some day:)).

Thanks,

Ann

Fortunately, nobody but myself can count all my failures.

E B
03-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I love the way the pine trees line the sunset in the background. Very nicely composed.:up:

Thank you. (NT)

E B
03-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Sunsets and sunrises I think are the most difficult photos to get right. Often what you actually see doesn't translate into a good photo, moreso when there is nothing to put the photo into context (pretty colours notwithstanding).

I think this is one that works. The perspective, depth and context helps to make it a succesful sunset photo, though I would have personally trimmed some off the bottom of the photo.

Cheers

Ray

Thank you.

If you look closely at the bottom right of the image, you'll see the very faint outline of my tent. I couldn't trim it off! Sort of sentimental/good luck thing.

E B
03-06-2006, 10:39 AM
EB, I always like the way your pics look spectacular without going overboard in PP, or "digiweird" as my wife says. I think that you have "the eye" and your restraint is more a matter of taste than technique. Don't let all these accolades go to your head, we're all looking forward to your latest and greatest shots.

Rock

Thank you.

I know what you mean. I'll probably never be better than I was yesterday. I just hope I've got a lot of good yesterdays.

Just as a matter of preference, my images are all always real. They're what my eyes actually see. I never swap skys, add birds or whatever in post processing to make an image. I like to look at an image and remember being there, not fabricating it.

E B
03-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Magical! You can nearly hear that Grizzly in the front of the picture. ;)

Sigh.... Alaska is just to die for, literally, once the mosquitos are out <grins>....

Yes, they say they're as big as birds. Need to wear a flak vest and have antiaircraft fire available.

Henk Peter
03-06-2006, 10:46 AM
The top half is great, the dark bottom part is way too heavy to my taste.
Great place to camp, thanks for posting

Henk

E B
03-06-2006, 10:47 AM
WOW, nice photo! Makes me want to go camping and wake up to see that! :)

Thank you. Alaska really isn't all that far from you. The roads are good and are kept clear in summer and winter. I wouldn't do much driving at night in northern Canada becasue of the cariboo on the roads and in Alaska because of the moose on the roads, but other than that it's easy driving.

E B
03-06-2006, 10:49 AM
The top half is great, the dark bottom part is way too heavy to my taste.
Great place to camp, thanks for posting

Henk

Thank you. (NT)

AnnF
03-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Fortunately, nobody but myself can count all my failures.

True, we all have "failures". But you also have a lot of ones that draw out different emotions.

You said yours are what you actually see. That's how I feel. I like to think back and remember the moment of that scene, so I try to capture exactly what I see. I leave things in some of my shots for sentimental reason, too. Nothing wrong with that.

Most of my shots I can remember where I was at the times they were taken. When driving home from "work" from S.Carolina to GA I saw the most beautiful sunset. To me it was one of those "perfect" scenes. I had to pull over or I would have ended up drifting off the road!
Part of me wanted to just stand there in awe and take it all in. The sun was going down behind some clouds with the most spectacular rays spreading out in all directions. I grabbed the camera and started shooting. I think I have about 10 sequential shots of that sunset (one of which sells on photo cards).

I always tell people "God made the beauty, I just captured it." It's always a learning experience for me and I appreciate you sharing your techniques with us.

Ann