PDA

View Full Version : Hello Four Thirds Photogs

Chris
03-06-2006, 02:02 PM
This is my Madden post to what looks like an excellent environment for friendly Oly owners.
I have been a lurker till today, I just Just found out that I have been banned over at DP, aka.. gatordude. I have no clue :dontknow: what is going on over there??? I always made an effort to avoid the trolls and I never Flamed a soul. I'm not sure why I would be banned but!!!! DP hastened my exit. I'm over it & I'm happy to be here. I guess I'm new to DSLR's I'm more of a gear-head today than a photog but I'm trying awful hard to learn more. I see a few familiar names and look forward to joining you all.
I have an E1 & E300 a bunch of Zukio Glass which includes the New 8MM Fisheye.
Nuf about me, My lurking day are over, see you in the posts
Cheers
Chris (Gatordude)
</IMG>

gunnerx
03-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Whoa! Gatordude was banned?? That sucks! Anyways, welcome to FTP! I'm sure a lot more people here will enjoy your presence and great pictures. :)

benherrmann
03-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Hey compadre...don't feel bad. I was banned for a week (after 4 years and 5050 posts) - no biggie. I'm sure yours will be temporary. But y'know what - although we have choices, this fourthirdsphoto site rocks! You will recognize so many folks that it's almost like "passing over." So welcome and the big thing now is to get adjusted to the forum layout and your options (be sure to go into your CP and check all the options, layout, etc.). I might suggest you choose the Hybrid mode as I'm liking that the most. The rest will be history...

So let the fun begin!

Chris
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks, I feel welcome already.
I don't feel bad about DP but I'm a bit curios as to why I was banned in the first place. I don't apologise for anything I posted on that site. I was always civil and it sure was a surprise not being able to log on though!
The site has some great members and I see many of the same here (but it has been a little stale of late) So I have a lot to look forward to. Navigating this site is going to take a little to get used too but it feel different here and I like that.
I'm going to take your advice on the hybrid mode but I have to ask you a question?
What's the hybrid mode? :dontknow:

I 'll be talking to ya soon,

chris

Hey compadre...don't feel bad. I was banned for a week (after 4 years and 5050 posts) - no biggie. I'm sure yours will be temporary. But y'know what - although we have choices, this fourthirdsphoto site rocks! You will recognize so many folks that it's almost like "passing over." So welcome and the big thing now is to get adjusted to the forum layout and your options (be sure to go into your CP and check all the options, layout, etc.). I might suggest you choose the Hybrid mode as I'm liking that the most. The rest will be history...

So let the fun begin!

benherrmann
03-06-2006, 04:39 PM
The best way to do it is to experiment. Click on the User CP menu item at the top of the page. Then on the left hand side (of course, you must be logged in as yourself) choose "Edit" options. Take it from there. After you set your settings, try them out. If they don't look good to you, go back and set your options again...this is what I did. I have mine on Hybrid mode, and allow 100 threads per page to be viewed (yeah, I think that's right). I also make sure that my advanced formatting options mode is set when I post (makes it look like Microsoft Works with smiley icons).

Then each and every time you log in, look at the bottom of the main page showing all of the forums and you will see all the folks that are logged in.

You can send personal messages to anyone. By their name there is a small circle (usually green) - click on that and you have a submenu. Sending private messages (PM's) are great. It doesn't require email and the person it's intended for either gets it right away, or when he logs in next.

Again, once accustomed to all of this, dpreview will seem...well, too simple and mundane.

As for why you were banned - don't worry about it. That's their style...they leave you in suspense. It's no big deal. And besides, some of the best contributors over there have been banned at one time or another...perhaps several times in a row.

Yours should last only a week or so. I know it may seem as a blow to your psyche, but it's a blessing in disguise to say the least. Look, you've found this place and so many (and I mean many) have come over here...just look at the familiar logins (while others may have changed their onscreen names to something different).

So upload a small picture of yourself if you wish and it will appear by every post.

Good luck...

george_online
03-06-2006, 05:00 PM
welcome here Chris :)
Regards, George

Pavel
03-06-2006, 05:06 PM
My theory on all this is that Tony has gotten a hold of a DP administrator account. He's a secret mole. He bans the best folks over there and then spams them untill they come over here.

Heck, who am I to quible with ethics? It works! and you made it here as well :D :D:evilgrin:

No more DP review abuse ... it's better over here ... so post or else:pavel:

Pontiac005
03-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Welcome! Well even though I came over from DP and I was not banned, I got tired of all the crap that went on over there. Not only that, it got way too crowded.

Bill_Turner
03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Chris,
I'm amazed that you've been banned over there.
As I recall, I was looking at your 8mm post yesterday afternoon and there was certainly nothing offensive there.
I've not had the benefit of being banned but joined here a couple of weeks ago because of the general atmosphere.
I'd like to call this site "BANNED AID!":doh:
Welcome!

Chris
03-06-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm not going to loose any sleep over this it.
But I sure don't get it!!!
It really feels like a homogeneous environment here.
But wheres the whining forum? :) I wont miss that!!!
"Banned Aid" Not only timely but funny.
I'm in good company and thank for the welcome.
Chris

Chris,
I'm amazed that you've been banned over there.
As I recall, I was looking at your 8mm post yesterday afternoon and there was certainly nothing offensive there.
I've not had the benefit of being banned but joined here a couple of weeks ago because of the general atmosphere.
I'd like to call this site "BANNED AID!":doh:
Welcome!

finemom
03-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Chris,
Good to see you. The thing about dpr that really bugs me is that we are all adults and can pick and choose what we read. Why is someone, and I do like Phil, have the power to limit freedom of speech like that and expect us to be happy over there. And worst of all is not to warn or tell the person why they were banned so they won't repeat the mistake. I can tell you if I was ever banned from there I would never go back.
:hmm:

gunnerx
03-07-2006, 06:33 AM
I don't think it's about being Mature and being Adults. It all has to do with money and money talks. Unfortunately Phil seems to be owned by sponsors and is doing his best to get as much money as possible out of it and will do whatever he can to get it. Wasn't Scrooge British? :D

DLGW
03-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Its almost like I feel that I'm missing something by not being banned at dpr... :)

Welcome - only just got here a week ago or so myself!

Carloskbco
03-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Welcome Chris...
Now, let's see some pics, that's what is all about right?
:)
Carlos

Leo Reinhard
03-07-2006, 10:06 AM
I was banned from the Oly SLR last spring when I was reading as much as I could before deciding if I was going to make the leap from a Canon 20D. Like you, I could not find out why the ban despite numerous emails to Phil. I had to re-register as Leo Patrick with a diff email addy to be able to post. I am glad I persevered because the postings there from some great and helpful Oly users helped me decide. I have never regretted selling my 20D and lenses. I still lurk and occasionally post there but the atmosphere here is much nicer.

Lorne Miller
03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
...yeah, gatordude, welcome to 'the other side', we'll probably all find our way here eventually, not sure what the old forum will look like in the near future...

cheers,

Lorne Miller