PDA

View Full Version : Yoroshiku from Northern Japan

windsprite
03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi, everybody. I have posted a few times on the "other" board, and the other day Julie (llpoolej) graciously invited me to join this one.

Like Julie, I own a whippet. Two whippets, actually. I got hooked on Olympus 8 years ago, when I bought an Oly P&S for my wedding on Maui. The image quality was so nice that I got the C-770UZ two years ago, and that was even better. However, I found it hard to catch my fast dogs in action, so last year I bought myself an E-500 (14-54, 50-200, FL-36) for Christmas. It was a tough decision between the E-500 and a D-50/70, but in the end it seemed silly to sacrifice the Oly image quality to gain a little speed, so here I am.

I am originally from the U.S. and now live on Hokkaido, Japan. I won't tell you how long I have been here, but in four years I will have lived longer in Japan than in my home country.:shock: I mainly teach English as a second language, but I also do a bit of translation and interpreting. I have been very informally studying the culture and language of the Ainu, the indigenous people of Hokkaido, concentrating mostly on their embroidery techniques. I occasionally teach the embroidery and have held a few exhibits with my students.

I probably won't post very frequently, as I shouldn't spend a lot of time on the computer (inner ear imbalance--makes me ill to look at the screen too long). Besides, pretty much all I take is dog photos, and I would hate to bore you all.:nerd: But I will be lurking, so I just wanted to say hello.

gunnerx
03-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Yoroshiku!!

Welcome to the forums! There's quite a few people here that enjoy dog pictures so feel free to post them up.

windsprite
03-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks. I'm glad to know there are quite a few dog lovers on the board. I love your Ariel peanut butter series, by the way. :D

AnnF
03-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Welcome. My daughters' grandmother is from there.

I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here.:)

Ann

Hokuto
03-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Glad to see you made it over here. I wonder if RayK is here; now if we can only get Higuma to join, we'll have the whole Japan contingent represented.

Another thing we've got in common: I've also been here longer than in my "home" country; I enjoy telling my college students that I've lived in Japan longer than they have. :hmp:

Pontiac005
03-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Welcome to the site. I look forward to viewing your animal photos since I love animals.

windsprite
03-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Welcome. My daughters' grandmother is from there.

I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here.:)

Thanks, Ann. By "there" I'm assuming you mean Japan, not Hokkaido?

windsprite
03-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Glad to see you made it over here. I wonder if RayK is here; now if we can only get Higuma to join, we'll have the whole Japan contingent represented.

Another thing we've got in common: I've also been here longer than in my "home" country; I enjoy telling my college students that I've lived in Japan longer than they have. :hmp:
Hi, Hokuto. It seems we have a lot in common. I majored in East Asian studies (but on the east coast) and attended an intensive language course in Japan during college, too.

I "spent time" in Okinawa as well, but I never lived there. I try to visit every year or two. It's my favorite place in Japan. I was looking for a job there when I met my husband and got "stuck" here in the Great White North. Brrrr.

It seems like there is a big Okinawa connection on this board. We should all try to meet there sometime. I can't think of a better place to make use of those Oly colors.

windsprite
03-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the site. I look forward to viewing your animal photos since I love animals.
Thanks, Marcus. Someday when you're thinking, "This dog, AGAIN?!" just remember: you asked for it. :D