PDA

View Full Version : Tasmania - The East Coast

OzRay
03-07-2006, 11:00 PM
The first of the photo-essays is complete (subject to any further modification) and is available here:

http://www.australianimage.com.au/tasmania1.htm

Just one minor warning though, for the more sensitive, there is just a touch of nudity (not gratuitous mind you) and easily avoided if one wishes.

Cheers

Ray

tspore
03-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow excellent pictures Ray!
I want to come and visit now.
GREAT Shots.

marlof
03-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Beautiful pictures, Ray, and it's nice to see them accompanied with your comments. Thanks for sharing.

OzRay
03-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks all.

Any comments on whether you feel anything else is needed, would be much appreciated. The photo-essays are for a broader audience, so basically I want to do more than post pretty pictures, which means that sometimes the photos may not be all that special, but I feel they help balance out the story.

Cheers

Ray

jtsmall
03-08-2006, 12:03 AM
... you feel anything else is needed

More nudity! :eek:

-jts

OzRay
03-08-2006, 12:26 AM
More nudity! :eek:

-jts

I nearly had an E-300 emedded in my scone while I was taking those shots. My good wife felt I was being intrusive, but I insisted that I was only taking shots of the wildlife and scenery

Cheers

Ray

assafx
03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
I wish i could have gone there. my dream was to go to australia and new zealand as my "big trip" (as many israeli's do) and then life just happened...

i enjoyed the photographs and i promise to read once i'll get off work. btw did you used indesign for the construction of the page or another software?

Assaf

OzRay
03-08-2006, 01:21 AM
You would love both countries without a doubt, both are quite unique. A major feature is that one can just travel around without any real fear or concern regardless of the location.

Hopefully the words add to the photos and I appreciate your comments. The site is created and maintain using Dreamweaver MX.

Cheers

Ray

jtsmall
03-08-2006, 02:59 AM
Hopefully the words add to the photos ...

Ray, as an enthusiast I like photo blogs and I equally well like your photo essays. Of course it doesn't hurt that your images pop!

-jts

Luke
03-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Wonderful work Ray.
Very good in all different subjects.
You are an allrounder.
Luc

gunnerx
03-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Wow, that was quite exhilirating. It felt like I was actually there. Thanks again for the great pictures and narration. I've really enjoyed every one of them. I would love to visit Australia one day. My goal is to retire early and travel but I think the money issue is holding me back. :D

rkrenn
03-08-2006, 05:51 AM
Great photos.
As an Aussie living in Florida, I love to see photos of home. I haven't been to the east coast of Tas, but I have been to Zeehan and Straun on the west coast a few times. Tassy is a very beaytiful place.
One suggestion for the site is to put a map on the page showing the different locations of the places mentioned in the story. If you really want to get tricky, make the locations hot links to Google Earth.

Richard

arbutusq
03-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Great images. I never made it to Tasmania when I was in OZ, looks like I missed alot.

I love the rich contrast and saturation you've achieved. How did you get the 'look' of those photos?

Hokuto
03-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Excellent series, Ozray, with great introduction to the area.

TNPapa
03-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Beautiful photos, Ray. Thank you for sharing them and the comments. As a ham radio operator, I set the alarm clock in order to work 20 Tasmanian stations to get my Tasmanian Devil award.:D Nice to be able to see the beautiful country through your pictures.

E B
03-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Beautiful! I envy you being able to visit there almost at your leisure. What great picture opportunities.

Bill Gordon
03-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Great photography Oz.....how cold was the water?

Henk Peter
03-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Beautyful essay Ray! With many great pictures in Ray-style!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Henk

cyrtolite
03-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Ray, these photos are really excellent. I especially like the very first one because of incredibly well-placed clouds, converging lines and colors. I also particularly like the one of the crabs hiding under the rock. They're all great, though, make me want to visit Tasmania.

OzRay
03-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I’ve been at a conference all day today, so I haven’t been able to view the site, so I’ll try and answer comments and questions in one post.

 Firstly, thanks for all the kind comments. It’s good to hear that the words and photos are working together as intended.

 For anyone ever contemplating or planning a visit to Australia (or if you know of friends doing so), please make an effort to spend some time in Tasmania. You will not regret it for one moment; even friends who are not interested in photography will forever thank you for suggesting that they visit.

 I once had a map on the site, but it became a bit of a chore to maintain and didn’t really depict things very well. I possibly could hot link to something like Google Earth, so I’ll give it a thought (more work though - sigh!)

 I didn’t really do a great deal with the photos. They were shot in RAW and then in Capture One I increase contrast slightly, adjusted exposure where necessary and then also adjusted WB as needed, before converting to TIFF. Because of the lighting, general contrast and rich colours, the WB wasn’t always spot on. Finally, when reducing the images to web size in PSP X (Smart Resize), I used clarify to pick up the image slightly and, after reduction, used High Pass Sharpen to fix losses in the reduction process. The scenes had their own richness, so I really didn’t manipulate excessively.

 The water was actually very warm, even though I didn’t go swimming; no time for that as I was making the most of the photography.

Hopefully part two will be up some time next week. I’m off for a long-weekend camping along the Great Ocean Road tomorrow, so more photos and possibly another essay to do when I get back.

Cheers

Ray

Bandy
03-11-2006, 05:08 PM
I actually grew up on the East Coast of Tassie (Tasmania), in a town called Orford and feel my life is richer for it. A quiet seaside town with no real dangers is one of the greatest places for kids to grow up. Seeing those photos was like going home.

Great essay.

Bandy

Chris
03-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Ray,
I have enjoyed your photo essays very much. Thanks for sharing.
As an American, I have learned more about the Australian landscape from you, then anywhere else. Even though I feel as I was right there with you I do have to put Oz on the list of Have to go destinations.
Great stuff,
Chris

The first of the photo-essays is complete (subject to any further modification) and is available here:

http://www.australianimage.com.au/tasmania1.htm

Just one minor warning though, for the more sensitive, there is just a touch of nudity (not gratuitous mind you) and easily avoided if one wishes.

Cheers

Ray