PDA

View Full Version : What was I thinking ?

Jim Porter
03-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Hello fourthirders. My name is Jim Porter. I live on the gentle plains of North Texas. Some of you remember me from my 5 plus years and over 2000 messages I penned at that other digital forum. I was banned for nothing according to the owner and then unbanned but permanently prevented from logging on. I owned Arlington Camera with my brother for 17 years. I gave myself a retirement party and sold my shares to my brother. I still send them some business when I find people in need of a good deed. Thanks to the generosity of Tony Spore, we are all able to buy and sell on his forum without breaking the rules. I look forward to getting to know those of you I haven't met. Thanks, Jim

Den
03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Jim, hi, we've never emailed/exchanged messages but I did enter one of your competitions once and, finally, I get to say, "Thanks for the CD!" Welcome aboard!

Garry Frankel
03-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Jim:

I just came over as I was starting to miss my old pals. I don't know if I will get the hand of this interface though.
Anyway, good to see you again, and know I have already distributed some hats.

Sergeant Rock
03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey, Jim. Welcome. You don't know me, but I know you. I've lurked on DPR for four years. I tried to participate but was banned six times, each time after posting a single message. Phil doesn't like my ISP...I guess. I really don't know. He didn't answer any of my emails questioning the banning. It's a weird place. I hope to have a greater life expectancy here ;-)

Sarge

Bill_Turner
03-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Jim,
Good to see you here.
I probably got myself banned a few minutes ago for replying to a post regarding E B's ban.
While I've never purchased from Arlington, you've always been very helpful and have never hesitated in responding either to my e-mails or my posts.
Do you plan on conducting any "Challenges" here?

lkeeney
03-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi Jim.

I'm glad to see you are still around.

I happened to be in Arlington for a wedding shoot recently and I just had to go see the store. I am happy to report I got a good deal on some CF cards and other misc. camera accessories. I also have to say the store was like a big candy shop for me.

It is a good thing my wife was with me or my credit card would have been much lighter when I left.

Lawrence

george_online
03-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi Jim :),
Its good to see you again om line.
George

Chuckr53
03-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi Jim...I have a nice photo vest and ball cap from you...thanks again.

When I ordered a new 8mm fisheye from Arlington Camera today, I mentioned your name...is that why the price was so good?

Welcome!

AnnF
03-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey Jim.

Ann

rob kerfoot
03-08-2006, 06:18 PM
hey jim, you sold me my E1 last year, and for that i thank you. glad to see yu made over to the "dark side". take care...

TrapperJohn
03-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Jim, my man! Good to see you active. I still have that 50-200 I bought from you way back when, still taking great photos with it. I just love that big monster - frame a shot with it, and you just know you will get a great photo.

I thought your treatment elsewhere was one of the more foolish acts I've seen, and one of the most ungrateful. Methinks someone is getting too big for their britches...

benherrmann
03-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Jim - good to see you here (like I had any doubts at all...he, he, he). All the gang are over here.

And BTW, the layout ain't bad at all - you just have to adjust. Once adjusted (and you can customize your viewing options to make it similar to dpreview), you will really feel comfortable. Just choose the "threated" layout view.

Well, the game's afoot - we expect to see your humor and deals here aplenty.

TNPapa
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Jim good to see you. Looking forward to reading your posts. I wear my E1 hat often.

gunnerx
03-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Welcome to FTP forums Jim! I think the people here will definitely appreciate your presence a lot more!

forksphoto
03-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Howdy Jim!

~Forks

OzRay
03-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Shit happens I guess. Sorry for past indiscretions.

Cheers

Ray

Bill Gordon
03-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Hi Jim
Good to see that you are alive and still full of vim, vitality and all that. I will be wearing my hat and vest in England in May, thanks to you. Keep smiling and the world smiles with you....cry and you cry alone. I am smiling

Pensioner
03-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Hi Jim tomorrow night I'll raise a glass of best Yorkshire Tetley's to you.

Cheers

Peter

Doug Palmer
03-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Apologies to all for the bouble post.

Peter

Hi Peter

You can always delete double posts; click on edit post and then select delete post and fill in the details.

Regards
Doug

P.s. Welcome Jim ;)

Pensioner
03-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Doug thanks for the help.

Peter

Bojan Volcansek
03-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Doug thanks for the help.

Peter
And Peter, thank YOU for marking deleted posts with proper comment of reason for deleting them!

ps. Welcome Jim!!! You are THE BEST

Latemarch
03-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Hey Jim,
I bought almost all my 4:3 equiptment from Arlington Camera because of you on that other forum......

In fact I'm heading down to Ft. Worth this week to visit my daughter and am hoping that they have an 8mm fisheye in stock!

The poster formerly known as LM1

deevee
03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Welcome JP, you don't have to intro yourself, we all know who you are and what you did for the Oly community. Glad to have you here along with the 'old timers' from the other forum :up:

Lorne Miller
03-10-2006, 03:40 PM
...wow, I'm really glad to see that you're over here Jim, this place is like old home week, or going to an old school reunion and finding where everyone disappeared to...after seeing what's been going on over at DPR I really wonder who will be left on that OlySLR forum...I started noticing a couple of months back that many familiar names were no longer showing up, and now we all have an inkling of what was happening. I was locked out for some reason I'm unaware of, and the site would no longer allow me to log in, I could lurk but not post...anyway, that's all water under the bridge now, and we can all get back to discussing photography using our various Oly's...we'll just do it over here...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

DaveW
03-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Welcome aboard, Jim. I still greatly appreciate the generous help you gave me in getting started on this great E1 adventure.

mixer440
03-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Welcome Jim. You are the man. After years on DPR, I'm here too. When I want to "read the comics", I'll go there. If I want the "news" then I'm here.

I'm looking forward to your knowledge..........spill forth.

mixer

laingjd
03-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Welome Mr. Porter.......

And yes.......your brother is in possession of some of my hard earned cash.

Gentle Plains?

purduealum91
03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Welcome Jimmy!

Mr Chicago aka macuser aka njdevil1 says HELLO!

I have always appreciated your professionalism, service and prices.

Tom

JRM60
03-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey Mr. Chicago (Tom) - Glad to see you around here, long time no see, I know, you are njdevil1 over at the other place. This place is a little like the other two years ago. Having fun here, still looking at the other place.

purduealum91
03-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Hiya JRM....

I still peruse the other site as well. How have you been?

JRM60
03-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Been doing pretty well Tom - finally got around to buying a grip for my E1, I like it a lot, seems to really help with 50-200 when trying to catch those inflight bird shots. Going through a kitchen/house remodel right now so not a lot of photo opps going on other than the in house project. Will be sneaking out soon to get some real shots. What have you been shooting lately?

TrapperJohn
03-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Doesn't it really bring the 50-200 to life? I bought a Cameta SHLD-2 special recently. Played indoors as the weather was wretched, and it seemed okay. Was driving home from work, saw a beautiful sunset peeking through a hole in the clouds, pulled out the E1 and 50-200, and Zip! went the focus. It locked on, right now. Definite improvement.

Been doing pretty well Tom - finally got around to buying a grip for my E1, I like it a lot, seems to really help with 50-200 when trying to catch those inflight bird shots. Going through a kitchen/house remodel right now so not a lot of photo opps going on other than the in house project. Will be sneaking out soon to get some real shots. What have you been shooting lately?