PDA

View Full Version : Sgt Rock: an introduction

Sergeant Rock
03-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm another refugee from DPR. I lurked there for four years but wasn't able to participate because Phil, or his automated system, kept banning me: six times, and never an explanation. He doesn't answer emails...not mine, anyway.

I'm an American. After twenty plus years in the U.S. Army, I retired and I now live in Germany with my German wife.

I bought my first camera in Korea when I was stationed on the DMZ (the Zone) in Korea in 1970: a Yashica rangefinder. I bought a Canon FTB a few years later, and a Canon F-1 in 1979. In 1982 my interest in street photography led me to something smaller, lighter and quieter: the OM-2n. A few years later I bought an OM-4, the best camera I've ever owned. I still have both Olys and the Canon.

When I decided to go digital in 2002, it was the Oly forum that impressed me the most: almost no one had anything negative to say about their cameras and the community felt really tight. I couldn't afford an E-10/20 then, and definitely not the E-1 when it was introduced, but I bided my time and eventually bought a 300. I'm happy...for the time being.

My main photographic interests are street, urban landscapes, portrait, and the nude (which, according to the rules here, I won't be able to share).

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking forward to a greater life expectancy here. I don't need no stinkin' DPR ;-)

Sarge

P.S. for Carlos: dude, it's really been fun watching how your portraits have improved; each one better than the last. And you have the perfect subject.

benherrmann
03-08-2006, 08:02 PM
This is your Sergeant Major speaking - US Marine Corps of course!

Welcome aboard Dogface. No spit shining required here. Just lots of humor, info passing, and camaraderie being the order of the day.

Welcome big guy...

ditto1958
03-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Hey Sarge,

Welcome! I think you will enjoy the company here. The only thing is, now here's another guy who got banned at DPR and I never was. Oh, well. Anyway, from what I hear about what DPR was like a couple or three years ago, I think you will find it is a lot like that here.

Sergeant Rock
03-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Ben. Since you outrank me (I'm a Platoon Sergeant, SFC), I'll stay in a subordinate position for awhile until I get the hang of the place.

Sarge

benherrmann
03-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Because you see, retirees are somewhere on the middle rung of the totem pole, so that means you currently have all the clout. I'm past history (US history that is). But stick around when you can - we're glad to have you.

Sergeant Rock
03-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm retired too so it's back to the bottom of the totem pole for me!

Sarge