PDA

View Full Version : Four Thirds Forum is Expensive!

drvoigt
03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
For decades I used a MInolta SLR sytem both for pleasure and for my wildlife research work documentation. Then I discovered the instant gratification of digital and the power of computer viewing/editing albeit with P & S Sony cameras.

The "other" forum (dpreview) recently led me to a E-500 with 14-45 and 50-150 lenses versus a Nikon D50. I have no regrets whatsoever as I have shot more in 3 weeks than the last 3 years with some great results

Then I found this place. How did you manage to seduce me in 5 short days into my latest? -an E-1, SHLD-2 and a 14-54 lens (albeit at bargain price). I can't wait to get it. Meanwhile I use this forum as a fast learning curve place and most interesting resource!! Just wanted to thank you all!!

I am a retired wildlife research scientist, a long-time retriever trainer with a new quarter horse training passion. This background and my current equipment gives me so much material to capture I don't need to hear any more about all the great OLY equipment I will need . . .I'm not sure I can resist!!!

I have a list of issues but each day I either solve them or find the solutions here, so for now, I'll continue to lurk and learn!! Thanks.

DaveW
03-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Welcome drvoigt......you are gonna love your new E1........of course, you will love it even more when you discover that you absolutely must have the 50-200 and EC14 for your wildlife "research"........:)

drvoigt
03-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Welcome drvoigt......you are gonna love your new E1........of course, you will love it even more when you discover that you absolutely must have the 50-200 and EC14 for your wildlife "research"........:)

Dave

You hooked me on the first cast. I have been curious how well the EC-14 works. What are biggest drawbacks- f-stop reduction? softness? AF? Is the 50-200 enough for birds?

With a similar interest as you in Raptors and MT I am always looking for more reach. The 4/3 rds system will allow me to try out all my old but fairly good Minolta tele glass but I expect softness, high f-stops (low speed:no: .

Cheers

Dennis

tspore
03-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Their is really very very little softness with the teleconverter on the 50-200. It is a fine piece of glass.
You should search around, and look in the lens reviews section.

drvoigt
03-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Their is really very very little softness with the teleconverter on the 50-200. It is a fine piece of glass.
You should search around, and look in the lens reviews section.

Thanks Tony,

Today, I did explore this site and found enough hidden gems especially in the reviews forum to keep me busy for some time. Still learneing how to navigate efficiently.

One review mentioned that the EC-14 and 50-200 weren't best combo but gave no details. Most seem to think it's great. Cheers,

Dennis

gunnerx
03-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Welcome! This forum definitely did cost me quite a bundle too. :D And now I think I will be looking to pickup the EC-14.

jtsmall
03-09-2006, 09:39 PM
One review mentioned that the EC-14 and 50-200 weren't best combo but gave no details. Most seem to think it's great.

Hello Dennis.

I can guess, not having read the thread of which you speak. Now that Sigma has announced the availability of the 50-500mm 'Bigma' in 4/3's mount, the writer (EB recently advocated this lens in a basic kit) probably meant this one paired with the 14-54mm and possiblty the 11-22mm. No need for the 1.4x teleconverter with the Bigma in hand.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/380686.jpg
Sigma 'Bigma' Zoom Normal-Telephoto 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=product.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=sigma+50-500

Before this lens became available the 50-200mm with 1.4x teleconverter was the way to go. And may still be the way if you application does not call for a tele of this magnitude: the Bigma at 500mm is an effective 1000mm fourthirds lens!

Bigma cost = $999 available est May 06 (maybe find at $899)
Zuiko 50-200 + EC14 = $800 (includes rebate) + 440 = $1240 available now
Prices from B&H Photo

Hope this helps some.

-jts

drvoigt
03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Before this lens became available the 50-200mm with 1.4x teleconverter was the way to go. And may still be the way if you application does not call for a tele of this magnitude: the Bigma at 500mm is an effective 1000mm fourthirds lens!

Bigma cost = $999 available est May 06 (maybe find at $899)
Zuiko 50-200 + EC14 = $800 (includes rebate) + 440 = $1240 available now
Prices from B&H Photo

Hope this helps some.

-jts

Thanks JTS

I will watch the Bigma 50-500mm release and reviews with great interest. Hard to believe a 10X at that price is A-1 but I'm being constantly amazed with new advances. I see the EC14 and 50-200mm lens at less than $1200 versus the $900 Bigma. Could use the EC on other lenses but if the Bigma performs and can be sometimes hand-held and hiked and horse-backed with, it could be an ultimate package. Either way it seems I need to save up again which is my original whine in this thread:yes:

This thread is getting to be in the wrong place?

Cheers

Dennis
Winter: Florida
Summer:Ontario

E-500, E-1, SHLD-2, 14-45, 14-54, 40-150 and a bunch of Minolta glass

Michael Meissner
03-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks JTS

I will watch the Bigma 50-500mm release and reviews with great interest. Hard to believe a 10X at that price is A-1 but I'm being constantly amazed with new advances. I see the EC14 and 50-200mm lens at less than $1200 versus the $900 Bigma. Could use the EC on other lenses but if the Bigma performs and can be sometimes hand-held and hiked and horse-backed with, it could be an ultimate package. Either way it seems I need to save up again which is my original whine in this thread:yes:

This thread is getting to be in the wrong place?

Well the 50-500mm has been roughly $1k for some time. All that's new is it is now available as a 4/3rds lens. Given how slow the lens is (f/4-6.3), and the focal length, it is likely to be a tripod all of the time lens, unless you are in bright light and have nerves of steel (no coffee for you). When I was looking at other cameras, it also had the reputation of being soft, particularly as the wide end of things. Hopefully the lens is everything people want, and that it has better picture quality than the two Sigma lenses I own (18-125, 55-200).

orthogent
03-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Although Olympus has partnered officially with Sigma,there is no test that shows Sigma has redesigned any of the optical formulas of their lenses to match the telecentric, if that is the word and if that is more than PR talk, quality of the optics. And second, if I am going to put it on my camera, it had better be a good lens, and not just of the quote RIGHT focal length. I don't shoot grizzly and I don't go for birds, except with 10 by 50 binoculars,but 10 by 50 binocular viewing can teach one a lot.
Namely, that it is hard to steady a lens of long focal length. That two, until lately, there has been, at that focal length a pot of aberrations, especially along the edges. The 50-200 has sure stood the test of time though, and it was a hundred bucks rebate last year, wouldnt ya know, now its 50 bucks, yeah a case or two of Bass Ale, I know I know.
I was always happy with my 200 mm F 2.8 Canon FD that I bought for two hundred bucks used. It has internal focus, great correcion...would I buy a hundred seventy five buck adapter for making it fit on my E-1. Not likely, I went with a system to access full system, but who knows, I might be tempted if Camera Quest produces one...Olympus has promised a 100mm lens, my perfect carry it in a bag FL. What will the aperture be? 2.8 is perfect, but even f 4.0 is darn good.. F 2.0 is not need for that kind of stuff.and the EC 14 will not work- so it says here- with anything larger than 2.8. I have not had good usage from the Canon teleconverter because it just seems funky to carry one when a prime of suitable length is out there...if that makes sense...EC 14 I need to learn more and get sold on as a 380.00 buy I guess. I know it is optically phenomenal. So, yes, I have put the kabosh on my lens collecting for a few montns,meaning I have heard of 50-200 buyers who, well, just rarely use the thing, wish I could rent one...some chance..GS More Time than Money these Days, luxuries are little ones--- a Black and Tan beer on a rainy PM sure hit the spot (Guiness Stout and Bass Ale blended) GS

jtsmall
03-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Couple of thoughts in response:

1. The Sigmas announced for the 4/3's system are all from the pro 'EX' series line (I think Sigma says this stands for Excellent) and not of the same Sigma ilk that many diss. All are said to be top quality lenses.

2. Search on this lens for reviews. About 95% are overwhelmingly positive. For example, check Fred Miranda's site ...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=105&sort=7&thecat=29

There is a formal review out there that revealed essentially NO distortion thoughout the full zoom range and generally very sharp.

3. The lens is heavy, said to be hand holdable with good light for short periods of time. Most consider this a tripod only lens.

4. My wife actually prefers the 50-200mm and uses it along with the EC14 90% of the time. She also has the 11-22mm and the kit 14-45mm and 40-150mm lenses. She wants to add the Bigma for wildlife and birds.

5. The 50-200mm lens is awesome IMHO. Tack sharp and contrasty. However I use the 14-54mm for my walk around, in contrast to my wife. I think one will prefer one zoom over the other depending on shooting preferences. I find the 50-200mm plus EC14 adequate for my use and would not be without it. My wife wants more reach.

6. Some are salivating over the 30mm f/1.4 as it will allow available light photography without going up to the noisy 800-1600 iso settings. Obviously it will provide a 2 stop advantage over the f/2.8 lens and 2 1/2 stops over the f/3.5 kit lenses. I use the 50mm f/2.0 Macro for low light but it will hunt when there's not sufficient contrast. I wish it had a lock out for the macro range ... so I can see the appeal of the 30mm f/1.4 lens and suspect it will eventually appeal to me.

-jts

Theresa K
03-11-2006, 06:07 PM
I am a retired wildlife research scientist, a long-time retriever trainer with a new quarter horse training passion. This background and my current equipment gives me so much material to capture I don't need to hear any more about all the great OLY equipment I will need . . .I'm not sure I can resist!!!

These guys are a BAD influence! But you are certainly going to want that 50-200, it's an awesome piece of glass. Welcome aboard!