PDA

View Full Version : Hello, good to see many familiar posters

DWReich
03-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Being a lurker on DP you haven't heard from me much but I have read many of your posts and learned very much in the past 2 years. It is disappointing that many considered the DP forum to be a substitute for personal combat rather than the exchange of images, information and ideas.

Like many of you, I have taken many pictures in the past and am struggling to preserve them for my kids and grand kids. I have finally devoted one small room to store pictures, slides, and photographic equipment. I keep adding to it as bit and pieces are uncovered elsewhere in the house. When scanning equipment become affordable, I had the fool's goal of converting all the film to files. It didn't take too long to figure out that this was impossible.

My photographic interests are at different levels. One has been to record the family and events and places we shared.

The other is to combine a love of history with photography. I try to find historic sites that make an interesting picture. This goes back to 1969 and I find that the process is very slow as I prefer to shoot in fall or spring when the leaves are off the trees. Most of these have been taken with film cameras such as 4x5, Leica, Konica, Mamiya 645 but in the past few years I have been using the E-1.

I am a lover of cameras in general and have had several small collections that were sold to buy the next best and greatest. Of the remainder I have an OM-1, OM-2n, Leica IIc body, Mamiya 1000s, lenses and many bits and pieces for the OM system.

I don't need more cameras for the type of photography I do, but I was looking forward to owning an E-3 this summer. It has nothing to do with being able to take better pictures, just the desire to own fine photographic equipment. I will probably get the E-330 to fill the void until the E-3 comes out.

You probably won't hear much from me, but I do enjoy being in touch with this wonderful world wide group of photography enthusiasts.

Bojan Volcansek
03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Welcome!
Well inspite you saying we'll not hear a lot from you, I really, really hope, once when you get 330 camera, at least to SEE some nice photos from you :)

Yours Bojan

benherrmann
03-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Yes, it's nice to see so many familiar faces here. But to focus on the positive, you will definitely be among friends here. But I believe you're at the point where some good posts from you would also benefit the many of us. Shared viewpoints and experiences are what makes a place great!

So once you get adjusted to the visual layout, we expect to hear more of you.

Again, welcome!

Pavel
03-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Reading though your post I want to say that I think that you have the right idea about preserving memories for your children. It is one of my strongest motivations. This last year I lost my Family in Hurricane Katrina and aside from the obvious it really saddens me that the whole family history is gone.

My father was a prodigious shooter. He shot kodachromes mostly and there were two large boxes ( I mean large like 4' by 4') full of thousands of chromes and some smaller boxes of negatives. These spanned the time from the late 50's with his Rolleiflex to the early eighties.

I has always put off the laborious scanning - and now they are all gone forever. You can't bring people back but it feels vital to have a documented history. Photographs do that for us and our children, even if we may not be aware of the importance at the time we snap the shutter.

I think the way you look at it is right on the money.

You may be interested in this thread:
http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1409

Good luck ... and enjoy your stay!

benherrmann
03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
"lost many pictures of your family" in Hurricane Katrina. I'm sure you didn't mean you lost your family (as in a loss of life) during the Hurricane. Or did you?

DWReich
03-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Reading though your post I want to say that I think that you have the right idea about preserving memories for your children. It is one of my strongest motivations. This last year I lost my Family in Hurricane Katrina and aside from the obvious it really saddens me that the whole family history is gone.

...................Good luck ... and enjoy your stay!

Pavel, I feel your pain. While we don't have much threat from direct hurricanes, earthquakes, mud slides, brush fires or tornados, I often imagine what would happen with a house fire. I have so much stuff that I could never evacuate it all in time even if I was home.

So far, I have all my scanned stuff being backed up nightly to an external disk but that only works if I am near by and can rescue it. I am headed towards having a second external HD with one being in a safe deposit box or at another location. as I write this, the answerbecame clear: keep one at my daughter's house and have her bring it back each week when she comes to visit.

This does not deal with the thousands of slides and negatives that have not been scanned. To this end I have decided to directly scan only a selection of the best and to make camera copies from many of the rest.

I did some tests with the E-1 doing 1:1 copies over an even light source from a copy stand. The quality was not as good as a scan but good enough to capture memories and make small prints. The biggest problem is getting the right exposure for slides that vary alot. There are many ways to do this and I may explore some different ones.

The thing I did'nt like was having to look through the view finder with the camera sitting fairly high on a copy stand. I think the E-330 would be good for viewing but it doesn't have a cable release or a connector for a 110 vac adapter. My E-20 has all of that but I would like to use my ZD 50mm macro.

I guess I will put all that off until the E-3 arrives and then maybe I can find another excuse. In the mean time I continue to try to make better prints and cut mats for my historical interests. Some of those negatives (B&W) go back the late sixties and it seems there is always room for improvement.