PDA

View Full Version : Losing My Virginity Here

Grtdane
03-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Hello Fourthirdsphoto Community,

Today I lose my 'Forum' Virginity. I have been guilty of being a lurker at the 'other forum' for quite a while. I came to recognize the many familiar names and handles that are synonymous with family and community. I never posted since I didn't have any Olympus gear and therefore any experience to warrant a contribution. Now after the 'storm' over there, this site has now become my home page. I picked up an enormous amount of knowledge lurking there but it was primarily fear driven by the most recent 'storm' that kept me away. I observed that if one poster was targeted, many forum regulars jumped to his/her defense just like a mother bear protecting her cub. This was something that true Olympus supporters can feel proud of and is my most prominent memory during the 'Storm'. Maybe the 'storm was good thing for without it, many of us would not be here. Perhaps the following words are applicable in light of recent events.
'When one door of happiness closes, another opens but often we look so long at the closed door that we don t see the one that has been opened for us'.

Now, I am a happy man. I have followed many respected individuals to this new forum. I know this site is new but we all know that 'The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with the First Step'. I would like to be a part of this new venture, hence my first forum posting, here, today and now with this introduction to you.

So far, until introducing myself with my thoughts is posted, I feel I have begun a new chapter in photography. Now I will be able share in the 'family experience' prevalent in the Fourthirds Community. This forum is now the icing on my cake. Why? Because this past Monday I ordered an E-1, ZD14-54, SHLD-2 and a Sandisk Extreme III 2gb card for delivery this March 13th. Now I must have to wait and see what the tax man brings to determine whether the ZD 50-200 and FL-50 is in the offing. I have been interested in the Fourthirds system for quite a while now but considering how terrific of a value it is comparing the original pricing, this was a no brainer for me, for my retirement present. Now don't be mad at me for saying this but 'thank you Olympus for not bringing out the E-1 replacement yet'. This has enabled me to literally pickup a new digital E-1 system for a song. My patience has been rewarded.

I have been using my Minolta 5xi since 1991. I purchased a Canon A70 in 2003. My wife is Chinese so we frequently travel to China and the Canon has it limitations. Also, in autumn 2005 while relaxing on Hainan Island, I encountered the sensor/lcd issue due to the heat and humidity. I sent it to Canon but it was returned since no issues were found. Now, I will have the weather sealed E-1 for my next trip.

I don't doubt for a moment that the learning curve will be steep for me with the E-1, accessories, PP and required software but it will be an adventure. I’m comfortable that this community will make my transition much easier and pleasant. Because I'm no longer a 'virgin', I will have to develop my skills so I can comfortably post photos for critique and suggestions. I hope as time passes, I can make a more concrete contribution as a member.

As a closing note, I really enjoyed reading last night's photo tutorial that many of you participated and contributed to. It was a wonderful post and synonymous with the atmosphere of this family forum. Yesterday I purchased Digital Camera World for casual reading. I paid almost $15CDN for the issue and it was not camera specific. Sitting here today, I personally felt that I had to support this form and I believe it will be money well spent. Last night's tutorial was only one enlightening read and I have 365 days left. There was EB's FL36-50 setup and there will be many more.

Thank you all for your contributions and for the introduction to Fourthirdsphoto.

Peter

Ted C.
03-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Welcome to FourThirdsPhoto as an Olympus E-1 owner! This site has also become my forum of choice. I don't know how long you "lurked" over there, but this place definately has the feel that the other had when the E-1 first hit the market. I'll be looking forward to your images/posts in the days ahead. Ted

Pontiac005
03-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the forum. I hope to see many of your photos in the future.:cool:

E B
03-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Welcome aboard! I no you can't wait until Monday comes, but it may help you to glance through the manual until it comes. If you haven't already, you can download it from here:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/

The E-1 is a beautiful camera. The first time you pick it up, you know it's your friend. It may be a little unfamiliar at first, but never intimidating. You'll find very rapidly that it's layout is very intuitive.

Thank you for remembering me and my suggested flash setups. They are here for your reference and I've add to them so there are six setups now covering the most common situations. I was working on another setup earlier today but wasn't happy with my test shots so that's still a work in progress.

Joining this forum is like rejoining family. You'll be comfortable her.

Theresa K
03-11-2006, 03:51 PM
You are going to love that equipment!

As for forum climates, the moderators do give this forum a 'safer' feel. For whatever reason, I was targeted by bullies a number of times over on dpreview and thank heavens for the support of the rest of the group or I wouldn't have stuck around. I'm glad I did, though, because I have learned an incredible amount from these people.

My advice is, continue to post, take some risks with photos and ask for advice. Be your own worst critic and you won't ever hear anything worse from anyone else. And look around a lot, there are some very talented people here who can teach you a lot about composition and exposure.

benherrmann
03-11-2006, 04:04 PM
You have broken your virginity alright, and I bet it was painless, eh! As you stated, lots of the grand old gang are over here now - maybe not exclusively so, but many are. This forum is definitely picking up steam and the family atmosphere has not left - it has actually grown. So once you're organized with all your gear, we expect to see some pictures!

Carloskbco
03-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Welcome Grtdane!

You are gonna like it here, it's a lot more civil here, and some of the guys really know what they are doing...that's why I hang around myself.

:D

Carlos

Grtdane
03-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Thanks for your welcome. I'm sure it will be a terrific experience.

March 13th, Hmmm, only 24 hours to wait.

(Ahhhh, but if only I had one of Tony's E-1 hats. Sigh!)

Grtdane
03-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks English Bob, for the link to the E-1 manual. I'm salivating for Monday to arrive.

Take care,
Peter

E B
03-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks English Bob, for the link to the E-1 manual. I'm salivating for Monday to arrive.

Take care,
Peter

You're very welcome.

Judd Kiteley
03-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Welcome.
Sorry, I got Tony's last E-1 hat to go with the camera I got a week ago. You are going to love the new camera. Only a few hundred shots so far but still thrills me to just turn it on and feel that beauty in my hands.
I'm expecting my 14-54 lens next week. Really looking forward to what it will do with that lens.