PDA

View Full Version : New e-500m owner

abuhannibal
03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
All,

Thought I'd test the waters and jump in. :) I am an e-500 owner as of a few months ago, which I will use primarily for landscape photography (and maybe the occasional macro shot of my rock collection.) Presently living in NJ, USA, but moving to Jerusalem, Israel in a few weeks.

I am admittedly barely above newbie-level in terms of my skill as a photographer, but I do occasionally get in a lucky shot. :) Am looking forward to learning from the many real experts here!

I am looking forward to getting some great shots of the Negev within the next few months, and when I am back in the States this summer, of my favorite locations in Utah, Colorado, AZ, and NM.

benherrmann
03-12-2006, 09:40 AM
when you get back. It's always nice to see pics from the MidEast - the deserts, etc., where so much history has been written.

Glad you're here...

E B
03-12-2006, 09:47 AM
All,

Thought I'd test the waters and jump in. :) I am an e-500 owner as of a few months ago, which I will use primarily for landscape photography (and maybe the occasional macro shot of my rock collection.) Presently living in NJ, USA, but moving to Jerusalem, Israel in a few weeks.

I am admittedly barely above newbie-level in terms of my skill as a photographer, but I do occasionally get in a lucky shot. :) Am looking forward to learning from the many real experts here!

I am looking forward to getting some great shots of the Negev within the next few months, and when I am back in the States this summer, of my favorite locations in Utah, Colorado, AZ, and NM.

A man after my own heart! I also prefer landscapes. As you already know, the E-500 will do a wonderful job for you. I do envy you your opportunity for some onsite shooting in Israel. Post some of your images when you have the time. It does look like we'll just miss each other when visiting the West. My next expedition out ther will be in May and I'll be in each of the States you mentioned.

abuhannibal
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Ben,

Many thanks, and I will subject you all to my photos long before i get back - FYI, Jerusalem is the most wi-fi enabled city in the world (really!) I snap 'em, download to laptop, and post 'em from whatever sidewalk cafe I happen to be sitting in at that moment! :)

EB: Thanks for the welcome and I'd love to trade notes- I have been lots and lots of places in the West, and have done a good bit of Ghost Town hunting and photography among the landscape stuff (I really love finding Ghost Towns, for reasons I haven't entirely figured out myself) but I think that of all the places I've been, maybe my all-time favorite is the area around Moab, Utah. The town itself is a fun place to hang out, and there are all the well-known mountain biking and other activities nearby, but if you just a bit farther afield you'll find some of the most spectacular country anywhere on God's earth, and that is saying quite a bit. I can tell you more, but not here - don't wanna cause a whole stampede of humans heading for the best spots. :)

Anyway, if you are in the town, pop into Tom Till's gallery - he has a web site at http://www.tomtill.com. I have no relationship with him, and truly don't even claim to know enough about photography to really judge his work on the technical merits, but I have a very strong impression that he's mighty good. :) Check out his Ghost Town book too. :)

E B
03-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Anyway, if you are in the town, pop into Tom Till's gallery - he has a web site at http://www.tomtill.com. I have no relationship with him, and truly don't even claim to know enough about photography to really judge his work on the technical merits, but I have a very strong impression that he's mighty good. :) Check out his Ghost Town book too. :)

Hey, thanks for the tip! I know his gallery's on 61 N. Main St. but I've never stopped in. I'll be driving right up that street in May and I'll be sure to check it out if he's open. I just am not sure of the time of day or day of the week that my route takes me by there yet.

abuhannibal
03-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Definitely pop in. If you are looking for a b&b in the area, there is a place about 15 miles outside of Moab that is truly extraordinary.

Will send you a PM.

E B
03-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Definitely pop in. If you are looking for a b&b in the area, there is a place about 15 miles outside of Moab that is truly extraordinary - the proprietress is a little fruity, but it's well worth it. :)

The B&B sounds interesting, thank you, but I tent camp while on my expeditions. Usually, I get as close to my subject matter as possible and sort of live with it.

abuhannibal
03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
OK, since I see you have no private contact info, I'll spill it. :)

http://www.castlevalleyinn.com- the photos on their web site don't even come close to doing it justice. If I were a lot wealthier than I am, I would have done my best to buy the place on the spot. :)

Also, do the dirt road to Dead Horse Point - there are some great photo opps along the way. It gets a bit hairy toward the end - not really technical, but you'll want a high clearance 4wd vehicle and don't attempt it in bad weather or towards the end of the day.

abuhannibal
03-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Gotcha, we are in agreement philosophically about tent camping but my wife is into real mattresses and sheets. Women. :)

E B
03-12-2006, 07:49 PM
OK, since I see you have no private contact info, I'll spill it. :)

http://www.castlevalleyinn.com- the photos on their web site don't even come close to doing it justice. If I were a lot wealthier than I am, I would have done my best to buy the place on the spot. :)

Also, do the dirt road to Dead Horse Point - there are some great photo opps along the way. It gets a bit hairy toward the end - not really technical, but you'll want a high clearance 4wd vehicle and don't attempt it in bad weather or towards the end of the day.

Ok, I'll check it out, thanks!

JRM60
03-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Abuhannibal - Welcome to the forum. I hope you will post lots of pictures from your new location. Would love to see landscapes from that part of the world.

abuhannibal
03-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Many thanks to everyone for all the warm welcomes - I look forward to learning from all of you!

assafx
03-14-2006, 10:25 AM
what negev? are you insane!!! go to the judea desert and do it NOW. before the flowers are gone :) (well it's also amazing without them).you can already guess the part in israel that i love the most but the negev does have a few good places (ramon crater is defenitly one of them oh and get there on a full moon light and you'll see that the whole place is lit like a main street in tel aviv...o.k i'm exaggerating) infact it's been a while since i went to the negev.
infact you got diverse landscapes in a very small area unit. the dunes in the ashkelon ashdod area that over look the sea especially in the nitzanim area, the hills of the shfela, the mountains (we call them like that you call them big hills) of the jerusalem area, the enchanting city of jerusalem (many find her boring i don't) the upper galil where you can see tsfat and rosh pina, gamla on the edge of the golan hights and te golan hights themselves. you're in fora ride.

we got wireless in the city hall and in an area at teh city center. some of the resterunts and coffe places also offer it without payment so you might want to check this out too. but you'll find out that internet is very acciable in here.

i envy you for having the camera that i want (i use e-300 at work but i can't take her with me for privae use...i'm saving!).

welcome to the forum (and in here when you'll get here) and hope to see your photographs soon.

Assaf

abuhannibal
03-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Assaf,

I know the winter flowers well - unfortunately, I am in the states for about 2 more weeks. :(

I live near Emek Refaim, and there are so many wi-fi hotspots that it is nearly impossible to find a place to sit that doesn't have free wi-fi. :) I have used it in the city center too but there it seems that some spots work a lot better than others.

BTW, wow, I cannot imagine how anyone could manage to find Jerusalem boring... truly! Even so, though, my interests are the mountains and deserts. Last summer I did some hiking in the mountains of the Arava outside Eilat, and around Timna - I am really looking forward to doing that again, and hoping the sun won't melt the camera. :) I also did Nahal Tze'elim, on a particularly hot day, about 45 degrees (For Americans, that is around 115-117 fahrenheit... in the shade, but there ain't no shade. :) I figured I had about an hour, tops, before I was dead, so I kept my hike real short that day!

I was in Machtesh Ramon last year, and there is a very embarassing photo of myself wilting in the sun as I was standing in front of a canyon wall that's covered with huge Ammonite fossils, about a foot high - it's a pretty well-known spot so you have probably been there. It was also hot enough to take the paint off the rental car that day. :)

assafx
03-14-2006, 01:02 PM
I live in the french hill and study at mt's scoupus so i got a different view of the city then the german colony. But yep...ppl find jerusalem boring all my friends went to tel aviv (job, parties,night life...go figure.)

the flowers might still be in april. it should rain tomorrow and in the next few days. i don't know if you're a local but it sounds that you know the place and the heat but i'll remind you anyway. drink drink and drink. me and my friend don't hike that much (sadly) but we do hike like 3-4 times a year. when we hike we basicly carry 4-6 liters of water with us for the whole day. going out in 45c is suicide. infact even 33c in the desert is hell BUT you are comming at the best season around it won't be that warm. so make use of it. the sun reflections won't be as harsh as in the summer.

try do dig in july august. it's hell (but fun).
Assaf

abuhannibal
03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Assaf,

I have been around Jerusalem for a good number of years, though with some substantial gaps. Anyway, I have a a fair amount of desert experience, enough to know the rules and that it will kill you in a heartbeat if you get stupid. That day when it was 45 degrees, I wasn't kidding when I said I was pretty sure I would have been dead in an hour. But it was so spectacular - absolute dead silence - not a drop of breeze, not so much as a gnat or bird flying by - but every once in a while, if you're lucky, you can spot an incredible ibex bounding over the cliffs. That would be an extraordinary shot, if I can get one.

For those who haven't been there, in that area of the Judean desert there are signs that warn hikers to never hike alone and beware of the leopards. There are a few leopards, but they are exceedingly reclusive and mighty unlikely to go anywhere near a bunch of humans. I doubt anyone has ever been killed by a leopard there, but the sun could get you in about five seconds. :)

assafx
03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Assaf,

I have been around Jerusalem for a good number of years, though with some substantial gaps. Anyway, I have a a fair amount of desert experience, enough to know the rules and that it will kill you in a heartbeat if you get stupid. That day when it was 45 degrees, I wasn't kidding when I said I was pretty sure I would have been dead in an hour. But it was so spectacular - absolute dead silence - not a drop of breeze, not so much as a gnat or bird flying by - but every once in a while, if you're lucky, you can spot an incredible ibex bounding over the cliffs. That would be an extraordinary shot, if I can get one.

For those who haven't been there, in that area of the Judean desert there are signs that warn hikers to never hike alone and beware of the leopards. There are a few leopards, but they are exceedingly reclusive and mighty unlikely to go anywhere near a bunch of humans. I doubt anyone has ever been killed by a leopard there, but the sun could get you in about five seconds. :) one of them (there are 2 or 3) killed a dog in ein gedi last year. last year i was allot in the judea desert area. a few times to qumran (archaeology ...what else), the david stream and the park area of ein gedi. the highlight was the darga stream i got some nice photos but they were made with my camera (minolta si 300 it's an automatic slr. can't find abetter defenition for it) so i could only imagine how it would look with my (my work's ) e-300 but then i'll have to bring a water proof bag for her.
this stream curved his way to the dead sea so deep that the flood water basicly stay there a few months after the flods stops because the sun is not reaching them. so yes, you have to swim in the middle of the desert. i had a guy infront of me with cannon eos 1 that forgot 2 memory cards in his pocket both of them were dead.

i can post some of the dead sea photographs that i got but i'm not sure if it's allowed since it's not a 4/3 camera.

this is not good. i'm writing a paper and thinking of hiking.
o.k back to work.