PDA

View Full Version : Another one

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Pops his head round the door...

benherrmann
03-12-2006, 01:44 PM
So welcome aboard Louis. Heck, just about everyone else has come over here....:yahoo:Why not you!!!!!!

Bill Gordon
03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Welcome Louis..by the way, what is/was all that bumping all about??

benherrmann
03-12-2006, 02:24 PM
I believe that was in reference to his replying alot to a thread over at another forum too many times according to some folks. Louis is a prolific composer and he certainly adds lots of spirit to a place while he's there.

Anyway - Louis, post your photos in our photo secton here.

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry to disappoint you there, but you can drop the final "e" :-)

Oh nothing exciting. There's a two weekly competition. The moderator by tradition keeps the thread on the first page by posting in it (bumping). I'm the moderator because I won the last one. Phil mailed me to ask me to stop bumping - perfectly reasonably, bumping is specifically banned, and I always assumed the reason people got away with bumping that thread was because it was agreed that that one was OK.

Apparently not. So I posted a thread asking if anyone had any ideas, and some bright chap suggested putting a link to the comp in the moderators sig so that people knew there was one on. Neat solution, problem solved.

Of course it wasn't possible to reach that point without several irrelevant personal attacks (as though I invented the idea of bumping the thread), hordes of people who didn't understand the issues butting in, and the usual sixty seven debates about life, the universe and everything, but there you are - that's the internet for you.

Oh yeah, and Phil posted to say I shouldn't have told anyone he mailed me, which confused me a bit.

And that isn't why I'm here by the way. I've been using the net daily since 1987, and dpreview is a teddy bear's picnic compared to some of the snake pits I've visited. Mind you, some of them had a smarter class of snake.

E B
03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Pops his head round the door...

Hey, there's a familiar name! Welcome aboard and glad to see you here.

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 02:34 PM
:cool: I think that translates as "don't bring THAT over here."

Having spent all day watching workstations building (and getting into circular arguments on the net) I've got go make 'em sing now - 9PM, gotta be finished by 9AM. No rest for the wicked eh?

I'll find you a nice Emma shot in the morning!

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Cheers EB, good to see you. VERY good to see you in fact, I have some FL50 problems :-)

E B
03-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Cheers EB, good to see you. VERY good to see you in fact, I have some FL50 problems :-)

Well, bring them on when your ready. I moved my flash reference material to the Reference forum on this site and added a couple more setups if by chance you haven't seen them yet. I've been working on a 7th as well, but am not getting the reliable results I need before I can recommend it to anyone else.

I've actually been very surprised at the number of oldtimers that are showing up here. Just saw Terdonal a little earlier today but didn't get a chance to say anything as I was otherwise tied up. Sorry I missed him.

Chris
03-12-2006, 02:59 PM
I look forward to your posts & pics
Cheers,
Chris
aka: gatordude

pixelmaniaman
03-12-2006, 03:25 PM
:)
Woweeee a few days away and look how many new members, thats whats great about photography -- welcome all you new bods, enjoy. LJ

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Cheers Chris, I look forward to getting home and TAKING some pictures!

Friendly place this - I haven't been made to feel so welcome since I turned up to a party in Dublin with a bottle of whiskey just after the booze ran out.

Bill Gordon
03-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks Louis for your explanation.

Chris
03-12-2006, 05:39 PM
We are a friendly bunch, and here's why!
It is proper protocol that a new member joining this forum sends each of the existing FTP members a bottle of Irish Whisky when they join.:)

Cheers
Chris

Cheers Chris, I look forward to getting home and TAKING some pictures!

Friendly place this - I haven't been made to feel so welcome since I turned up to a party in Dublin with a bottle of whiskey just after the booze ran out.

finemom
03-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Louis,
I tried to follow that thread, you know where I mean, and just couldn't continue with it. One thing you will like over hear is that the moderators and Tony post and help often. They seem like friends, well they are, they're cyber friends. Hopefully you brought your sense of humor with you and we can all benefit. I look forward to your contributions.

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks finemom :-)

Carloskbco
03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Welcome Louis...

I don't hold it against you, that you won the last challenge...

:)

Carlos

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 07:50 PM
And at this rate it could BE the last challenge.

I'm sure whether I should be prouder to be the permanent reigning champion, or more embarrassed the poor thing died under my care...

Heron
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Welcome Louis,

I haven't posted much here yet, been busy as a bee..
However I did want to say welcome to my Flickr buddy.

Cheers,
Heron

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Well hiya,

this is great, it is like a school reunion!

I just read the most DISTURBING post back where we came from, it is nice to be back amongst reasonable people again.

Louis Dobson
03-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Actually, looking at the title, this is meant to be personal info, not chit chat, so:

44, fat bearded biker living in Portugal and doing some computery type stuff in London now and then to pay for it.

Took up photography for the second time in life in Nov 05, when my partner, Eva, took it up for the first time.

my galleries are at www.flickr.com/photos/acam (http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam) and (less up to date) www.pbase.com/acam (http://www.pbase.com/acam).

I live here:

http://static.flickr.com/38/81500558_12301c891b.jpg

Well, not EXACTLY there, because the sound of the waves would keep me awake and the birds c****ing on my head would get a bit wearing, but somewhere between there and here

http://static.flickr.com/27/95917606_d80d60da20.jpg

and I look pretty much like this:

http://static.flickr.com/28/100526943_ba9f4776f9.jpg

orthogent
03-12-2006, 11:26 PM
One friendly correction, you did say "reasonable people" in your earlier note, but,- I suggest-, not invariably "safe and sane" reasonable people,maybe "spirited reasonable people "is what I mean.
(smiley face here).
It is indeed a quieter, less boisterous environment, and leads to more thoughtful dialogue.
I give Tony and the moderators credit..they are very personally involved.Demonstrate by example, and it shows.
Your photofriend,
Gerry Siegel

Heron
03-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Second correction, his flickr account is actually

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam

Louis Dobson
03-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Hey, I've been up all night!

Cheers Heron, how nice to have an edit button...

Louis Dobson
03-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Cheers Gerry.

I'd do you a stream of conciousness reply, but it will have to wait :-)

E B
03-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Actually, looking at the title, this is meant to be personal info, not chit chat, so:

44, fat bearded biker living in Portugal and doing some computery type stuff in London now and then to pay for it.

Took up photography for the second time in life in Nov 05, when my partner, Eva, took it up for the first time.

my galleries are at www.flickr.com/photos/acam (http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam) and (less up to date) www.pbase.com/acam (http://www.pbase.com/acam).

I live here:

Well, not EXACTLY there, because the sound of the waves would keep me awake and the birds c****ing on my head would get a bit waring, but somewhere between there and here

and I look pretty much like this:

Wow, some great pics there! You might consider putting some of your favorites into a gallery here. Like your self portrait. It shows what's important and that you get around.

Louis Dobson
03-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks EB, nice thing about joining a new site, you can post your favourite three and look like you do those every day :-)

I'll investigate galleries - still finding my way around!

E B
03-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Galleries looks like a nice setup. TSpore says the max image dimension for this site is 700 pixels.

ditto1958
03-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Louis, I really like the sailboat/sunset shot. Also, your self-portrait is pretty cool. It's great to see you here at this forum.

obie1
03-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Louis, good to see you over here. I, for one, enjoyed your posts in that other place.

SHG
03-15-2006, 03:04 AM
welcome Louis, nice to see you here, i just got registered few minutes ago, missed you and some others there and glad to find most of you here.

btw, which one is you in the third photo :?

Louis Dobson
03-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Hiya, I've been meaning to mail you, thanks for doing the tone job on Wave 2, haven't got a proper monitor here, looking forward to having a look when I get home Friday. Sounds like I need to get and try out that thing - I see it being used a lot on flickr.

Glad to see you here, nice to see everyone here being polite and helpful isn't it?

Which one is me? The handsome one, obvioulsy :-)

Louis Dobson
03-15-2006, 03:15 AM
Greetings!

One thing that makes this place confusing is the names don't match :-)

SHG
03-15-2006, 04:09 AM
Hiya, I've been meaning to mail you, thanks for doing the tone job on Wave 2, haven't got a proper monitor here, looking forward to having a look when I get home Friday. Sounds like I need to get and try out that thing - I see it being used a lot on flickr.

Glad to see you here, nice to see everyone here being polite and helpful isn't it?

Which one is me? The handsome one, obvioulsy :-)

np Louis, you got to see it, no other choice :D , coz you gonna love the details and color range revealed. it is perfect for landscape.

gunnerx
03-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Welcome Louis. My alias here is the same as everywhere. :D Glad to see you here.

Pavel
03-15-2006, 05:45 PM
"44, fat bearded biker living in Portugal and doing some computery type stuff "

Sound like my kind of guy! Glad to see you here. :)

PS. How fat is your beard?? :D

Louis Dobson
03-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Soup strainer job - time to charge up the trimmer :-)