PDA

View Full Version : E-1 Purchase Question Please [Cameta? Other?]

JamesD
03-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Hello New Friends,

I am brand new to this forum.
An old geezer.
Not particularly internet savvy.

Soon, I want to fill out some personal information, picture, etc., so y'all can get to know me. But would like to get this one question asked today.

I shot my OM1 and OM2 for thirty years!
Loved them. Did what I needed. Saw no reason to change.

But eventually digital just offered too much promise to ignore.
So three years ago I got an E20 and have LOVED it.
Now I want to move up to an E-1.

I do not have a lot of money, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
So I am trying to find an E-1 for the best price I can.
But not used; I want it NEW with a WARRANTY [security!].
But part of security is WHO you buy it from.
Their professionalism, reliability, etc.

So tell me folks...

On the one hand, I am sorta looking at Cameta Camera.
I recently saw an E-1 [body] go for $465.
That's really cheap!!!
Or is there an "internet risk factor" with them?

I'm an old "bricks and mortar" guy and worry a little that I might end up with a bad experience trying to save a few bucks.

Got any advice.
Anybody with a super solid "bricks and mortar" reputation with prices anywhere close to Cameta?
Or roll the dice with Cameta?

Or any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million!

Jim

P.S. The "big picture", I was thinking, would be to get an E-1 body for a good price, then look for lenses separately over the next few months while the $50 rebates are in effect (14-54 and 50-200 maybe?).

AnnF
03-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Welcome, Jim. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_202.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk136DFUS)

I also had the OM1 (actually, it was the X's) and the OMG (close to 25 years ago). My how time flies! I got my first E-1 from someone on ebay. At the time, it was a good price and it came with an extended warrenty which was transferrable. No problems there.
I then aquired another E-1 body some months ago from someone on here in the "for sale" forum. No problems there, either. And the warrenty was still good. I just recently aquired the E-300 and other pieces of equipment from someone else here and am very happy with it. You can always get an extended warrenty if you buy it used.

Cameta is a reputable company. So is B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com). I think I got my 50-200mm from them at a descent price. A number of members here have dealt with those two companies and I believe could give a good report on both. I don't remember the names of the other companies off-hand, but I'm sure others here will chime in and offer suggestions.:)

Ann

MikeH
03-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Jim,

I just ordered an E1 kit from Cameta, it arrives next week. Everything I found points that they are a good outfit. So far so good with me.

They have some good kit deals there right now with the 14-54 and also with 2 lenses, the 14-54 and 40-150. I got the 2 lens kit with the 14-54 and 40-150 for $995 (new). Seems like a great deal to me. They also sell the Olympus 2 year extended warranty for around $60.

I also agree with Ann that B&H is good. I've ordered other things from them in the past.

Mike

Judd Kiteley
03-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi Jim, welcome
I bought an E-1, lens and grip from them about 3 weeks ago. The transaction went smoothly for me and many on the forum have bought from them recently.
You can probably get items cheaper on the auction than BuyItNow but when you buy a group of items you will save on shipping it all together. If you feel uncomfortable with ordering online you could call their sales dept and get the same deals as the BuyItNow.
Good luck. :yes: :yes:

llpoolej
03-18-2006, 04:30 PM
I bought my E-1 from them just over a year ago and it was perfect when it arrived and is still perfect today. Well, it is dirtier and a little more beat up, but I have put about 15k shots on it and it still acts new.

They are helpful and will stand behind their product

JamesD
03-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks All - for your replies.

The general drift of all your answers seems pretty clear.

And in addition to general opinions on Cameta, I got a few additional points to consider:
1- I didn't know you could just call them up and order direct.
2- The incentive to save on multiple shipping costs by buying all on one order.
3- Their good price on the Olympus extended warranty.

Thanks again.
I think I like this here forum.
I hope see more of y'all later.

Bye for now.

Jim

DougJGreen
03-19-2006, 10:40 AM
FYI, I've been dealing with Cameta for 15 years - since long before there was an ebay. I've probably made a dozen different purchases from them, and I've never had any problem whatsoever. They are a very reputable company. I have bought new, used, and refurb/demo equipment from them over the years. They in particular, do a big business in refurb/demo gear, and since I tend to seek these items out as being great values, I've bought alot of stuff from them, including much of my 4/3 (E-300) system. Their descriptions are accurate, their service is honest, fairly fast, and their prices are consistently the best among extremely reputable companies in the photography equipment business.

ProAcFan
03-20-2006, 02:56 AM
Ditto what Doug said. Just because someone has a large presence on Ebay doesn't preclude them from being a "brick and mortar" store which Cameta certainly is. I aslo bought my E-1 from Cameta, the price and service were first rate, and shipping was very fast to Canada too. Cameta, B&H and 47st Photo have all been great to deal with in my experience. Oh, the other reputable Ebay seller to look at for Olympus gear is olympusauctions

Mike

camon crow
03-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Ditto what Doug said. Just because someone has a large presence on Ebay doesn't preclude them from being a "brick and mortar" store which Cameta certainly is. I aslo bought my E-1 from Cameta, the price and service were first rate, and shipping was very fast to Canada too. Cameta, B&H and 47st Photo have all been great to deal with in my experience. Oh, the other reputable Ebay seller to look at for Olympus gear is olympusauctions

Mike
Hi Mike, what did it cost (shipping, handling, taxes and duty) to have an e-1 delivered to Canada, I am in London. Thanks

ProAcFan
03-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Shipping was $53 USD ($35 shipping plus $18 insurance) and the insurance is mandatory. Camera arrived very quickly too. Shipped out last Tuesday and I had it the following Monday. I paid $121.16 in taxes and handling fee ( no duty). The handling fee was $8 and the remainder was PST and GST. Cameta actually had the total paid as the declared value on the USPS customs declaration form and I was NOT thrilled paying taxes on the shipping and insurance but I can live with the extra $12 or so that error cost me. I did inform Cameta about their faux pas but they claimed ignorance. Customs never even opened the box to find the itemized sales slip which would have showed that I paid $599 USD and that should have been the items value for taxes. Oh well, the first time I took a few pics with the E-1 that $12 oversight seems to have been forgotten and I will be happy to deal with Cameta in the future.

Mike

camon crow
03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the info.

deevee
03-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Hello New Friends,

I am brand new to this forum.
An old geezer.
Not particularly internet savvy.

Soon, I want to fill out some personal information, picture, etc., so y'all can get to know me. But would like to get this one question asked today.

I shot my OM1 and OM2 for thirty years!
Loved them. Did what I needed. Saw no reason to change.

But eventually digital just offered too much promise to ignore.
So three years ago I got an E20 and have LOVED it.
Now I want to move up to an E-1.

I do not have a lot of money, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
So I am trying to find an E-1 for the best price I can.
But not used; I want it NEW with a WARRANTY [security!].
But part of security is WHO you buy it from.
Their professionalism, reliability, etc.

So tell me folks...

On the one hand, I am sorta looking at Cameta Camera.
I recently saw an E-1 [body] go for $465.
That's really cheap!!!
Or is there an "internet risk factor" with them?

I'm an old "bricks and mortar" guy and worry a little that I might end up with a bad experience trying to save a few bucks.

Got any advice.
Anybody with a super solid "bricks and mortar" reputation with prices anywhere close to Cameta?
Or roll the dice with Cameta?

Or any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million!

Jim

P.S. The "big picture", I was thinking, would be to get an E-1 body for a good price, then look for lenses separately over the next few months while the $50 rebates are in effect (14-54 and 50-200 maybe?).

i bought a refurbished Zuiko lens from them; shipping and processing is slow, took 11 days altogether but the lens is in perfect condition as new; if you pay a little more on shipping maybe you can get the E1 sooner.
I'd buy from them again and will be patient . Cheers :whistle:

ProAcFan
03-23-2006, 12:56 AM
DeeVee where the heck do you live that it took 11 days? Mine had to cross the border and clear customs and it took 6 days ( and 2 of those were weekend days). I sure didn't pay any extra for fast shipping so if you are in the US I find this odd.

Mike

Bonanno
03-23-2006, 04:15 AM
I've purchased from Cameta twice, once by phone and once through ebay auction. I'm aggravated with my phone experience because I wasn't informed that the FL-50 was out of stock and on backorder until I opened the box and read the packaging list. By that time, BH & everyone else was out. I still don't have an FL-50. Cameta also kept the charge on my credit card, even though it hadn't been shipped. I actually had to call and cancel the order for them to issue me a credit. If I order by phone again, I'll get a verbal confirmation that each and every item is in stock. I've never had to do that from other on line vendors. If an item was backordered, the other vendors were up front about it and told me immediately.

david_e1
03-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Well, I'm waiting my order from Cameta. I'm not exactly happy that it took them 2.5 business days to ship... Also not thilled by the customer service... will see when it arrives...