PDA

View Full Version : Accessories InvisibleSHIELD LCD protection for E-500

plg3
03-19-2006, 09:29 AM
I've been on the lookout for an LCD protector for my E-500 since day one. I tried the LCD protectors that are made for PDAs (Belkin brand) but I did not like the way it made the LCD look "very pixilated" (if that makes sense.)

I saw the InvisibleSHIELD referenced here on FourThirdsPhoto Forum and decided to give it a try. Cost was $10 (US) with free USPS shipping. Took about three or four days to get here via the US mail. I installed it yesterday (Saturday, 18 Mar 06.)

Installation instructions are downloaded from the company's web site. The instructions are somewhat long but clear and easy to follow. In brief, you clean the LCD, prepare a very, very mild water and soap solution, separate the LCD protector from its backing paper and the surrounding excess plastic, wet the plastic with the water solution, apply to the camera LCD, smooth it out, and let it dry.

After letting it dry overnight, it looks very good. It covers nearly the entire LCD leaving only a mm or so along one edge exposed -- you have to look hard for this. The overall appearance is very glossy with a very slight orange rind dimple wave to it. Unlike my experience with the PDA LCD protection, this does not affect the image on the LCD at all.

My only difficulty with the application was separating the die cut piece of plastic from the overall sheet. The cut was not "clean" on one edge; I probably used too much "force" to separate this edge and as a result, I have a couple of ridges or stretch marks off to the side but not in the image area. I also noticed that I have a couple of very small dust specks, smack dead center. Only noticeable against a white background.

Suggestion - The instructions tell you not have your equipment powered on while you install / apply the LCD protector. I think this is good but I would also suggest that after you get the LCD protector applied, you have a full white image available to view on the LCD before the plastic dries. This will let you see if you managed to collect any dust under the plastic during application and are still able to correct the problem.

ShieldZone gives the InvisibleSHIELD a lifetime warranty against scratches. Only time will tell how well it holds up.

The InvisibleSHIELD for the E-500 can be found here:

http://www.shieldzone.com/form/index.html?preadd=action&key=OLYE500

Bottom line: reasonably easy to install and does not affect LCD viewing. Two thumbs up!

Gary_Berg
03-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Any idea how these compare with the Delkin HSK-3 - 3" LCD cover sheets?

plg3
03-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Gary -

I'm sorry but I do not know how the InvisibleSHIELD compares with the Delkin LCD protection covers. I tried the Belkin "ClearScreen Overlays" (pack of 12 for $9.99 (US)) (marked "Palm Compatible"; F8P5701) which I needed to trim to size. That was OK but I really did not like the way the LCD appeared after I applied the Belkin product. It had a very "pixilated" appearance. I don't know how other to describe it. I did like the Belkin packaging as it included a soft cloth to clean the LCD and a credit card size piece of plastic to help smooth out air bubbles.

The ShieldZone product comes as a single "sheet", really nothing more than a ~2 x 3 inch piece of plastic with a die cut portion that you apply to the camera's LCD.

Regards -