PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

blueridgegirl
03-29-2006, 07:04 AM
Hi, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm Kerry and I live in Virginia, USA. I recently bought an Olympus e-500 and I'm new to digital SLRs and SLR photography in general (have used a point & shoot all my life). I'm here to soak up the knowledge and collective wisdom of you all. :) This seems like a wonderful forum - friendly, full of knowledgeable people, and easy to read/navigate - and I'm looking forward to participating!

I've found the learning curve for my camera to be steep, but I'm reading up, and experimenting, trying to improve my skills. My main interests in photography are taking pictures of my 3 year old daughter (when she holds still long enough), and "nature." (I'm a tree hugger, I guess!)

Nice to meet you and thank you for sharing all your knowledge with this forum - what a great place!

benherrmann
03-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Just seeing your on-line handle of "blueridgegirl" makes me smile, as that neck of the woods is my favorite area. Although I live in the Raleigh, NC area, we make it a point to visit the blueridge mountains every fall and to me, that's akin to a spiritual experience (the sights, the sounds, the ambience...just all unbeatable).

You'll pick up lots of knowlege here and remember, don't be afraid to ask questions - no matter how stupid you personally feel they may be. There are no such things as stupid questions...just the ones that are not asked.

So good luck with your E500 (it's capable of some great shots) and welcome aboard.

AnnF
03-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Welcome.

I had the opportunity of shooting the blueridge mountains a few months ago when I visited my girls back in GA & NC.:)

Looking forward to some pictures soon.

Ann

radsaq
03-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Welcome. My uncle lives out there in the um.. less-populated parts of VA. Very purty. ;)

E B
03-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Welcome aboard! You're going to love that camera. It'll take some beautiful pictures for you and you'll find the learning curve very worth the effort. Don't hesitate to call out for help if you run into problems.

blueridgegirl
03-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! :) I live at the very top of the Blue Ridge, near Skyline Drive. Lots of wonderful picture-taking opportunities! I'm looking forward to learning more so I can take some nice ones. :)

Carloskbco
03-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I also live off an Skyline (Blvd) in California, so hopefully we will have a chance to see how pretty that area is

:)

Carlos
PS Post pics of your girl too

Bill Gordon
03-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, I don't live on a skyline but do live close to a big lake...Ontario to be exact and welcome Blueridge to this site.

plg3
04-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Kerry -

Sorry to be so late in join in with the welcoming crew but in any event, welcome! You're really going to like your E-500 and I see from other "independent" posts (Flickr), you're already enjoying it!

Where on top of the Blue Ridge are you? Although we're up in "urban" Fairfax County, we know Harrisonburg well (one son went to JMU) and St. George (about 15 miles NW of Charlotesville) very well (2 sons went to the Blue Ridge School on Bacon Hallow Road) along with US 33 through West Virginia and Virginia. Just a beautiful area all through the Blue Ridge region. And this time of the year, everything is just popping. Beautiful!

Again, welcome!

blueridgegirl
04-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Paul - I'm not that far from your neck of the woods, actually. (We're sort of near Winchester but up in the mountains.) We used to live in Reston and some of my friends are in Fx Cty (and the best malls are there, ha) so I am in that area pretty often. :P

I love Flickr - I used it quite a bit to post pics taken with my old camera, and when I got the new one I searched out all the Olympus DSLR-related groups. That's how I found this forum, which is great! (I've been adding a bunch of new contacts who have Olympus DSLRs and take awesome pics, like yourself - glad to see you here!)

Thanks a bunch everyone for the warm welcome. It's great to find a place w/ so much information and nice people to boot. :D

kengreen
04-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Nice part of the USA. I was there some years back while visiting my mother . I'm sure you'll enjoy your E-500. Shoot and then shoot some more.

Ken

BL3
04-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Just read your last post here and realized you're near the place where I grew up, in Round Hill. Haven't been back since my Grandmother died 20 years ago, but I still think of Round Hill as home. Really looking forward to your posts!

Rocky

JRM60
04-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Hey there Blueridge Girl -

Haven't been keeping up on my welcomes so here's one for you! Looking forward to more posts from that part of the country. Looks to me as if you have been learning your new E500 well!