PDA

View Full Version : Greatings from old 'Blighty

Mike_Smith_UK
03-31-2006, 01:51 AM
Just joined up as I have been intrigued by 4/3rds system for a while

My background is 30 years plus shooting with Pentax and then, having been fed up waiting for decent AF kit, jumped ship the land of putty white lenses for the last 3 years.

Majority of my shooting is nature/landscape and I use high end Canon DSLRs, principally a long tom 500 F4.5L and exotic Zeiss/Oly OM Zuiko for wide angle and architectural work (Canon wide angles are p*nts :blink: ).

Just bought an E-500 and am looking at a decent secondhand E1, initial system will be using old Nikkor lenses as I build up an E Zuiko collection. I hope to do some back to back testing as the Digital Zuiko collection builds up Canon vs Nikon vs Zuiko vs Zeiss

Why 4/3rds now?

Old age has definately caught up with me and I no longer find it fun lugging my nature kit around :? .....,

so I have been looking at alternative high end kit lightweight. Eg 600mm F5.6 Nikkor and 300mm F4.5 Nikkor whilst I build up the Zuiko collection (and the E Zuiko 300F2.8 becomes available secondhand, or acquires Image stabilisation! :up: )

Why go Nikon when a Canon user?

Err my current Canon EF lenses won't work.......:whistle:

Anyway enough from me, hope to post results regulary

Mike Smith

Bill Gordon
03-31-2006, 05:41 AM
Welcome Mike and I hope that you get all your kit exchanged for the master of all cameras and lenses. Where in Blighty do you hail from?

E B
03-31-2006, 05:47 AM
Welcome aboard! You'll going to enjoy the E system, both for its compactness and its image quality. Looking forward to your images and posts.

AnnF
03-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Welcome, Mike. Look forward to some pictures.:)

Ann

benherrmann
03-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Well - a hearty welcome to you. At the risk of sounding ignorant, where is Old Blighty (what does it refer to)? Although I've traveled all over the world during my 26 in the US Marine Corps - other than spending several days in London, I haven't the slightest idea on the other fine areas within the UK. And that's a shame because the UK is one country that I admire highly! Geezzz, come to think of it...I still have a hard time referring to it as the UK. I was raised with the terms "England" or "Britain." I guess some habits are difficult to break.

DavyG
04-01-2006, 02:29 AM
HI MIke,

Welcome to the board.

Why wait for a second hand E1?

I've been watching ebay for a while and some of the second hand E1's sell for more than a new one.

I picked up a new E1 with 14 - 45 lens for £366 about 2 weeks ago from eBay but you can get a new E1 body from www.digitaldepot.co.uk (http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk) for £399.

I think these cameras are a bargain at the moment and wouldn't be surprised if they become hard to get in the not so distant future.

I look forward to seeing some of your pics.

Dave