PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Padgreen
04-15-2006, 11:48 AM
As I've posted again today, I thought I'd better say hello.

My name's Pad. I've been interested in photography since I was a kid, although my interest had laxed until about two years ago when I got interested again after a long period of illness.

At the moment I've only got film camera's - an OM1 I bought in the mid-1970s, a Canon EOS 1000FN which I got in the mid 1990s. Must say, I never liked the canon as much as the OM1 even if it is autofocus. I've also got a Minox 35 GL, a lovely camera.

I've been lurking here, and on dpreview, for a while as I try and decide what digital SLR I buy. Two years ago, after rekindling my interest in photography, I decided to go digital and bought an Olympus 5060. I also went the whole hog and bought a new Mac G5 daul, Epson R800 photo printer and photoshop cs. I used the Olympus for a while but then returned to film as film was required for some evening courses I did to try and improve my photography.

I'm currently digital camera less. When I returned to the Oly 5060 after completing the film evening courses, it packed up. Fortunately, and thanks to the UK's consumer protection laws, Amazon gave me a full refund even though it was out of guarantee. So I'm now looking around for a digital SLR.

I love the E1 - I wanted one when I bought the 5060 but couldn't afford one. I was offered a second hand one a few months back for a really tempting price but thought I'd wait to see what the E330 was like. Now, I really like the live view screen and being able to shoot at waist level like with a medium format camera. However, think I'm gonna wait a bit longer for the E1 replacement. Having said that, the Voltlander Bressa 3a is trying to tempt me to stay with film.

Anyway, I enjoy reading posts on this forum. Hope this intro's not been too rambly.

benherrmann
04-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Glad to see your aboard. You know, it's a shame you don't pick up an E-1 - especially now that Olympus has opened the floodgates with ultra cheap prices. Heck, here in the US there are vendors like Cameta Camera, which are selling the E-1 body for only $450 (USD) new - that's unheard of when you think about it, and they have quite a few of them to sell from what I hear! And from what I just found out, they are also getting orders from the UK. If you could pick up an E-1 and let's say the wonderful 14-54 lens, you'd be hooked to the maximum - that's a given. Hate to see you have to wait so long to get your paws on a good DSLR.

Anyway, lots of OM owners who post here, so we hope to see some nice scanned-in images from your OM cameras.

E B
04-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Welcome aboard. I can only hope that some of the images and information posted on this forum will assist your camera buying decisions toward the 4/3 rds. family of cameras, all fine instruments.

Padgreen
04-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the welcomes.

Yep Ben, the E1 price poses a real dilemma. I can get a new E1 with the 14-45 lens new for £399, which is a steal. Or I can add in the 14-54 lens with the E1 body for the same price as the new E330.

My problem is I've only got a one pot of dosh as I don't work because of illness. So if I buy the E1 now, then I can't get the E330 later or even the E1 replacement (I'm saving), although further down the line when it's price drops I probably could. The main thing that's stopping me rushing out to get the E1 is the movable live view screen - I can see that being just great for street photography. Decisions, decisions.

llpoolej
04-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Welcome Pad! It is smart to weigh on which camera y ou want, as you definitely don't want to be upset with the purchase. I would probably go for the E-1 with the 14-54 and then start saving for the replacment. It is just so CHEAP at the moment.

Though that live view sure would be nice. I can see the dilema!

AnnF
04-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Welcome, Pad.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_202.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk136DFUS)

Ann

blueridgegirl
04-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi and welcome! :)

Padgreen
04-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks all for the welcomes.

After much consideration, several changes of mind and a duff roll of film that I didn't load properly in my Minox, I've decided to get an E1 with 14-45 lens. At its current price it can't be beaten and is the cheapest way for me to get into digital photography. Particularly as I shot raw and can still use my copy of Photoshop CS. If I bought the E330 I'd have to upgrade to Photoshop CS2 and don't really want the additional expense.

llpoolej
04-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah Pad!! I think you will really enjoy it. I prefer mine over my husband's E-500, though I do like his LCD screen A LOT. Though, he prefers his E-500 to my E-1. Different strokes and all :)

Padgreen
04-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi. I agree, the screen on the E500/E330 is very nice. However, what I don't like about either is that many functions have to be activated via menus. What I particularly like about the E1 is buttons/dials for all important features and the smaller screen on the top plate with all the important settings. In many respect it's like a film camera, which I like. Plus the E1 feels really good in the hand.

Mike Overton
04-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi Pad,

I bought my E1 with the two lens kit in June last year from Station Cameras in Reading, just down the road from you. It goes everywhere with me (I do take my wife as well sometimes). I've only ever had Olympus cameras since '79 and have never been disappointed in the equipment or Olympus UK.

I hope it brings you an much pleasure as mine has brought me.

Mike.

Padgreen
04-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks Mike.

Padgreen
04-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Aargh.....I've gotta wait. Here's me thinking that I could pop up to Digital Depot in Stevenage and pick up an E1 on friday. Not so. They took my name on Tuesday and told me some were coming in yesterday. Yesterday they told me that those that came in were already sold, but some more were coming in today. Today was the same story. Now they say I'm top of the list and that they have more coming in May. Fortunately, they say Olympus are still making them so I will get one at their price (£399 for E1 & 15-45 lens) which seems to be the lowest in the UK.