PDA

View Full Version : France, Reading UK & a Pooch!

Mike Overton
04-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi All,

First a big thank you to all who take the time to offer advice and gentle pointers, you guys are a great help. I started out on this hobby back in '79 with an OM10, graduated to an OM2n (still got them) then gave up for a while as the children and my career became more of a priority.

When the E10 arrived I had more time, (and money!!), bought one and the hobby restarted. Last June I purchased an E1 and continued the love affair with Olympus.

Below is a link to my photo site. All my own work so can't blame anyone for the layout, presentation or content!

Mike.

http://www.mike-overton.co.uk/

tspore
04-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Hey Mike,
Welcome to the site.
I am going to move this up to the about me forum. that way it is easier to find you when people want to get more info.
I was looking at the photos. They are great. If I took pictures of buildings like those in LA, you wouldn't be able to see anything because of the smog. :D

E B
04-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll find many kindred souls here. I'm looking forward to more of your pictures and your posts.

Bill Gordon
04-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Welcome aboard Mike. I have two observations of your images....first is that you live so close to France and it is so easy to "go abroad" that you can capture those scenes that the average Nort Americano" does not see because we have such a short time their. Second, you are so lucky to live in such a scenic country as England (of course Scotland Wales and Ireland too). I envy you and I am sure that others do as well. :hmm:

e10user
04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Mike,

I really like the photo matrix interface you have. Is this custom produced?

John

Mike Overton
04-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome messages:-

Tony,

Not much smog where we live in the UK although some of our cities get a bit hazy at times. Never seen any in France but we are nearly always in the countryside or near the sea.

EB,

All of the images on my site were processed from raw thru to Photocleaner using your workflow as guidance. Your flash setups have been a great help and your photo's a level of quality to strive for. Thank you.

Bill,

As you say France is just a hop across the Channel and, like the UK, has some wonderful scenery, it's just a matter of finding it! A few years back I was on your side of the pond in Buffalo and was blown away by the Falls (OM2n days, got some smashing shots).

In the early E10 days we spent sometime in the Fort William/Loch Ness area of Scotland, including a day on Skye. If you get the chance go, the scenery is breathtaking, just don't go in the "midge season".

Mike.

Mike Overton
04-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Mike,

I really like the photo matrix interface you have. Is this custom produced?

John

John,

I use MS FrontPage. It's easy to use and reasonably priced. I first used it back in '99 to put together a website for my Father's Ships Association (site address below if you're interested). I learnt a lot from that exercise and the feedback from the guys in the Association and visitors to the site.

Whenever I start a new web I try to find a neutral and plain background colour, have as few bells and whistles as possible (most people like it simple) and strive for a quick load. There's nothing worse than trying to find the hyperlink to click or sitting for ages waiting for a page to load. Another tip is to use tables to place hyperlinks, text and 'photo'e etc. where you want them (turn off outlines and nobody is the wiser!!).

Get back if you need any help. I'm not brilliant at the 'photo bit but might be able to help with FrontPage.

Mike.

http://www.hmslondon.org.uk/

AnnF
04-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Welcome, Mike.

Ann