PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

timbertoes
04-20-2006, 11:04 PM
I dont know where to start..... yes I do..by saying YAY, BH will be open for business tommorow...err, today...

Folks I have been lurking and searching full time, till I am sure I hit the end of the internet, when it comes to the E-500 :D
I sure like this forum in particular, it seems you all get along real well , and I need that, I dont like the more "stressful" forums! :cool:

By way of introduction, I am in Van Alstyne, Tx. Thats an hour north of Dallas. late 40's of age. 2 Kids, very understanding Wife.

My interest in photography is...hmm.... "mild" at this time, I will say. I have some specific things in mind to do with a snazzier camera over what I have now.
For one thing, I am a "Predator" Hunter. That is I use game calls and Hunt Coyotes.
Now, I know that is not everyones cup of tea, and here on your forums, I wont be discussing that topic. But since I am an pretty upfront person, I figured I would let you know that.

You see, I dont always want to use a firearm. I want to use a camera. A Lot of times in fact. I get to see many other Critters out in the woods, including Bobcats. And they sure are pretty. Always a Raccoon and Skunk and often a Wild Turkey. These should make great subjects. Not to mention the old farm structures, etc.

Should be great fun to lug a camera out there. In fact, I know I can get permission galore from landowners, to use a camera instead of a firearm, when it comes to calling in Coyotes. :)

I also make and sell Game calls, so I am always using a camera to take pics of the ones for sale. Actually overkill to use a $700+ camera, but what the heck. BTW I presentyl use Oly Cameras for that purpose :)
I was using a D-640 P&S, now thats got to be nearly 7-10 years old. a whooping 1.3mp camera and it still works fine. Recently I got a SP500-UZ, which is nice, but i will give it to my daughter for a Birthday Present. Actually got a presentable Moon Picture with it.

Many Years ago, Photography was a fair hobby of mine. No darkroom stuff, just pic taking. Checked out every book in the library kind of a guy.
The only decent camera I had was an AE1, which I still have, along with 3 lenses and such. Sadly the AE1's shutter is bad. Before that, was a Topcon, a Ricoh viewfinder, an awesome Brownie, and a 8mm Movie camera, with which I got my Boy Scout Merit Badge :D
In the past I have dabbled with Astronomy telescopes, and built a 12" Dob scope. whch took me into woodworking, then to game calls, and now back to Photograpy..but thats a whole nuther tale. A tale of complete insanity. LOL.

So Later this Morning...will be a big day for me, and I hope it goes well!
I hope to order the E500 2 lense setup, and maybe a few accessories.

Have made two trips to the local Best Buy, with memory cards in hand...
and taking inside-the-store- pics with the E500 and a Canon 350d.

Took home my memory cards and printed out the pics on my wifes epson r320. I have also been printing out some pics you guys put up!

In some respects, the c*n*n 350 sure did work well....but I got as many bad focused and poor exposed pics with it as I did with the E500,hehe, and overall, I want the lenses in the E500 kit. Heck, I am unemployed, so the way I see it, the E500 is my best value. SUre was a LOT of color/tonal difference between the two cameras. I did not have a card to fit a d50...so oh well. I like rooting for the "underdog" anyway :cool:

well, a pleasure on my part to find this board, and hope to make a few new net buddies over time.

take care,
Bryan

benherrmann
04-21-2006, 04:22 AM
Glad to see you finally found a forum that suits your disposition and yes I agree also that this place rocks. Hope to see some of your work in the near future in the way of images.

llpoolej
04-21-2006, 05:19 AM
I have heard it said that firearm and camera shooting are very complimentary to one another. Similar techniques in a quiet steady hand needed.

Look forward to your coyote photos. We have some around here. I have been out riding my horse and they are quiet enough to sit in the bushes and not spook her. I could see them watching us go by though.

blueridgegirl
04-21-2006, 05:50 AM
Hi and welcome! I think it's fascinating that you can call animals. That is a talent that I can imagine would be quite difficult to develop!

We have a bunch of tree stands on our property from when it used to be hunting land - I am someday going to climb them with my camera to "shoot" some wildlife. :D

Hope you like it here!

Carloskbco
04-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Welcome to the forum !

You are going to enjoy the E 500, fine camera, and fairly priced.

I read with interest about your "animal" calling, and I do some of that everytime I "call" my wife to get out of the house...

:yes:

Carlos

Garry Frankel
04-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Tell the truth Carlos, what do we call it when she calls you to come from the computer to bed ??????

Welcome Bryan. It seems hard to say, but my E500 has sort of changed my life in a lot of positive ways. You are going to love it. Just be careful you don't start robbing gas stations to feed this addiction !!

I have no problems with folks who harvest in sustainable ways. With most natural habitat having been turned into box stores and suberbs it can actually improve the health of some poplulations.

Oh, and what ever you do, have fun.

benherrmann
04-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Actually, it's not difficult to call animals at all. We have some "low life characters" who live in our neighborhood and I "call them animals" all the time. And they seem to respond (not necessarily well) when I call them! :p

Bill Gordon
04-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Welcome Bryan

I don't care what you call me as long as it isn't late for dinner 'cause I get real angry and start shootin' ifn my food isn't settin in front of me by 6!!

timbertoes
04-21-2006, 02:22 PM
thanks for the welcomes :yes:

In the Amercan fashion of instant gratification....I found that a local circuit city had the E500 's on sale, so out the door it was about $20 higher than online ordering and no waiting :) then I drove a few blocks over to Wolfy camera and got a a few requisite filters, Polarizing, Skylight, Haze.

and now...

**** Battery is charging ***
so in the meantime, get out some tools, wood and hardware....
Light Box (small) table/shelf is now attached to wall. Will be making a hokey-looking light box for taking pics of game calls.

My wife collects Minerals, Fossils, etc. So looking forward to pleasing her with some nice pics, and making a photo gallery for her.

Padgreen
04-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Greetings and welcome. Hope you enjoy your time here and your new purchase.

Tell me, and I hope you don't mind the question but I'm curious, do you shoot and eat things or just shoot them?

timbertoes
04-21-2006, 06:17 PM
:help:
LOL.
That's the kind of question, that no matter how honestly asked, can start a usenet-like flame thread :ohmy:

They get skinned for the fur, which I keep. No market for fur here.
Some have bad Mange. Coyotes are not for eating, and I dont hunt anything else. Except Feral Hog, but I have not done that since last May, helping a disabled Veterans Group. Nothing cute about a Wild Hog, and they truly are quite scary.

So I go to Kroger's instead hehe.

Sometimes I go and participate in Skeet and Trap shooting. I am even thinking of taking pics of a local expert while he is doing his thing, make him a picture album or such...!

With this camera, I have a personal agenda of a taking more pics than anything else. Too many times the called-in Coyote is still a young one.
While it is very satisfying to just look and watch, a picture will last longer :yes:
I am actually selling two rifles to pay for the camera.....

This is not the time of year to hunt them anyway, they are raising this year's pups.

FWIW, I personally hate those hunting shows on TV....for all kinds of reasons!

timbertoes
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
BTW, Pad; My Uncle lives in London, Charges St. Area. We are of Scottish blood, but dont hold that against us :whistle:

barondla
04-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Welcome Timbertoes. You will enjoy your new camera, except for that darn 4 hr 1st time battery charge. That sure seemed to take forever. This is a nice forum. Even when people disagree they are civil. Do you still have your 12" dob scope? I watched my dad and his friends grind the mirror and build a 12.5" Newtonian reflector and later a 20.5" reflector. As a kid I never thought the 20.5 would ever be completed it took about 5 years. You could get some great photos with your new camera and your scope! That is something I am trying now. I see coyotes every once in a while and hear them yipping at night quite often. I may have to consider learning to call them. A lot of hunters turn to photography. I saw this all the time in the store I worked at. We sold both firearms and cameras. I would love to see a good coyote shot.
thanks
barondla

timbertoes
04-21-2006, 09:19 PM
howdy,
no longer have the Dob scope, the sad fact is, I got bad headaches looking though it.
I fire up my ftp program, and see if can locate a pic of it to link to :)

I am thinking about something in the future scope wise. I like the 80mm refractors that are in the under 300 range. Had one of those, was fun. traded it for some other stuff... lol.

ah, here it is: ( i think the pic was taken with a 1.3mp Oly P&S!)

http://home.texoma.net/~timbertoes/telescope/12inchscope.jpg

Wow, Mirror grind and polish...now there's a lifetime project :)
I used to work with a guy, who was much into film astrophotography.

I have sold a call or two to photographers. I can easily see the transistion

The Coyotes and Bobcats are not difficult to call. But it sure helps if the animals are actualyl in the vicinty!! Wear some green/brown clothes, if not camo, and use a camo head mask. Keep still, and VERY watchful. No Binoculars needed. If they come in you may spot them by movement, then gt ready for a picture :)

They always will come in, in such a manner as to get your Scent (the scent of the animal in distress that the call sound makes)
so I like to say be crosswind or downwind, the upwind thing will have them sneak in from behind, and very very good chance you will never see them, they will spot/smelll you and leave.

Early Morning is best.

Padgreen
04-22-2006, 02:37 AM
Hi Timbertoes

Thanks for the reply. Enjoy your photography.