PDA

View Full Version : Reading new messages

Gary_Berg
05-01-2006, 07:11 PM
I don't have any problems finding all of the new threads, but it seems as if sometimes when I click on the icon for new messages in a thread (the icon to the left of the subject title in the new thread list) I don't get all of the new messages. I get the last "batch" of new messages, at the end, but not any which were replied to in the middle of the list.

I'm not sure if that makes sense the way I stated it or not. But if there are 4 new messages, two at the end and a couple of replies "rooted" higher up in the message tree, I seem to only see the two near the end.

Gary_Berg
05-03-2006, 10:29 AM
No one else sees anything like I've described? It seems to me that when a thread branches, so you have message1 and message2 and I read them both. If both messages have replies to them when I return, if I read new messages only the replies to message1 are displayed. I have to go up into the message navigator "thingy" at the top and look for other replies newer than when I last read to click on them and read them.

I'm using "Hybrid" mode to read, which seems to be the forum default. Does one of the other modes work better?

tspore
05-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I think it just takes you to the last group of new messages.
all of the methods of viewing have advantages and disadvantages.
I usually either use flat or hybrid. I scan through posts looking for the new indicator, and that is how I know what is new.
I usually don't click on the new message icon, because I want to start at top, and skim my way down, so I remember what the topic is.
Perhaps, I am not seeing what exactly is the problem?

Gary_Berg
05-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of how to read the messages. I assume the new indicator is the red triangle in the upper right by the message number?

I had been assuming that clicking the new message link would display all new messages in that thread. Now that I know how to deal with it, I can get along with it better.

tspore
05-05-2006, 12:29 AM
The forum software is good, but not perfect.
The new messages are the orange squares in the upper left hand corner, above the user name. For example, this message to you will appear new the first time you look at it, it will be orange, and have a date and time it was posted.
The ones seen before are blue in color.
The Red triangle is to alert the "Admins" about bad posts. So if someone posts something inappropriate on the forum, a person can click their and let us know.

Gary_Berg
05-05-2006, 10:33 AM
The new messages are the orange squares in the upper left hand corner, above the user name. For example, this message to you will appear new the first time you look at it, it will be orange, and have a date and time it was posted.

I figured that out after reading a few threads in the "all at once" mode...

Thanx,

Gary