PDA

View Full Version : May Contest - Reflections!

Pavel
05-03-2006, 05:44 PM
The theme for may is "Reflections"!

Lets try it this month to put just one photo per thread and to have a title for each shot along with the word May. That should make it easier at the end of the month to have the ten finalists selected - thank. :)

I like this months theme selection - it's something that can be found everywhere - and should prove a good challenge.

Happy shooting! Reflections.

Pavel
05-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Oh and I keep forgetting .... the prize this month (probably the last prize :() is a brand new 256 meg Lexar USB2 jump drive. Everyone can use one of those, right? :)

http://www.invl.com/contest/MayPrize.jpg

gunnerx
05-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Cool! I voted for this theme too based on Theresa's comment. However, I have a question, is this literally about things reflecting of objects or someone reflecting? Or is that up to our artistic interpretations? :D

Pavel
05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
You are the artiste ... go and interpret :)

People have different ideas as to what each phrase means. So since it will be judged people with this broad range of interpretations I don't feel that I should impose any standards because that would only be my idea - and I can be as far off the mark as anyone (and more than most - likely :))

It's then just a loose mark to aim for. I'm sure that someone may come up with some creative interpretations that still fit the phrase. Great!

dmpbyrdwatcher
05-05-2006, 08:05 AM
pardon my ignorance (again) but what is a jump drive? does it work on a mac or just pc?

Pavel
05-05-2006, 08:35 AM
A jump drive is solid state flash just like in your compact flash cards that go in your camera. The difference is that it has a usb connector on one end and usually a keychain loop on the other so that it's convenient to have with you at all times and will work with any modern computer, Mac or PC.

It mounts to the filesystem in a matter of two or three seconds and transfers whatever you want to copy and move or store very quickly.

At 256 megs it's the same as having about 180 floppy drives (remember those :)) or about 1/3 the space of a cd.

I use one and find it very handy - so I thought that others would as well. :)

tspore
05-06-2006, 09:12 AM
I use them all the time.
In fact a customer who I do some web stuff for... every week, mails me a zip drive in the mail, for updates.
(They haven't understood FTP yet)
((And you can't e-mail 50 MB files))
Anyhow, Zip drives ROCK!

Dan Browning
05-07-2006, 05:58 PM
((And you can't e-mail 50 MB files))
Anyhow, Zip drives ROCK!

Sure you can...

http://beta.yousendit.com/

http://www.dropload.com/

Bonanno
05-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Quick question Pavel, do we post our entries here, or in the photo forum, or elsewhere?

Pavel
05-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Here in the monthly contest forum. That way I don't have to search around. I'm hoping that people post versions for feedback first and then towards the end of the month settle for the best one or two works and post them in a thread I will put up for the final submissions in the last week or so.

Pontiac005
05-18-2006, 03:45 AM
How many entries are we allowed to submit?

Pavel
05-18-2006, 05:55 AM
I think that it's good to submit many and then get feedback from others. For the actual judging - two will be considered.

I have to figure out a smoother way to have the final two submissions made known if there are more - but for now what I do is put up a thread in the last week for the final entries. If a person doesn't see it in time and they have more than two, I take it upon myself to choose them so that at least some make it to the first round of voting.