PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Western North Carolina

dsmithnc
05-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Well it's been at least a month since I joined this forum and I have already learned so much about the 4/3rds system. Glad I found y'all.

I've been dabbling in photography sometime more so sometimes less since I was about 12 years old. The first camera I used for any length of time was my Dad's Welti, 35mm. It was a preWWII rangefinder with a fold out lens and bellows. I wish I still had some of those negatives!

Became more interested after my wife and I were married. Bought a Yashica Rangefinder in the early 60's for a trip out west. Graduated to a Minolta SLR shortly thereafter. Finally moved to my all time favorite camera, an Olympus OM-1 that I still have.

The OM-1 was my standard for many years. Especially in the 70's when I was teaching photography in a Michigan high school.

After retiring from the public schools, we moved to North Carolina. I took a teaching job in a Community College and ended up teaching digital imaging classes for 4 years.

Just last November I took the plunge and bought the E500 2 lens kit. Despite the fact that price/rebates boght the price down a couple of months later, I still love it. Got an inexpensive adapter and now use the old OM lenses as well.

Probably more information than anyone wanted or needed. :blah:

Dick

timbertoes
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Great to know the forum has such folks as yourself :)

blueridgegirl
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Nice to meet you! You have a lot of photography experience and I'm glad you're bringing that to the forum. :D

Carloskbco
05-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the forum...

I still own my Minolta SRT 101, 202 and X-700, XD-5(broken film spool),

I wish there was a digital camera with the feel of the XD-11 that was stolen from me...

Anyway, glad to hear somebody else in the forum is a former Minolta SLR user...

:)

Carlos
GC w/lens kit,14-54mm,50mm

Pavel
05-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Hello good to have you here - from the middle part of the state. I kinda wish I was out where you are ... but it won't be long now before I'm much closer.

Pavel
05-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Carloskbco... ot ..but I used to have a minolta system based around a 102 or something like that (can't remember which one it was unless I check photos of it). Don't you think that for the day Minolta had some superb glass? As good as any other I'd say but cheaper and less appreciated I think.

Now, back to regular un-hijacked programing.

Carloskbco
05-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Carloskbco... ot ..but I used to have a minolta system based around a 102 or something like that (can't remember which one it was unless I check photos of it). Don't you think that for the day Minolta had some superb glass? As good as any other I'd say but cheaper and less appreciated I think.

Now, back to regular un-hijacked programing.

Yep!
I had one whole bag of camera and lenses ripped off, but Insurance replaced it...I still have a bag full of stuff.

Great pics were taken with it !

Carlos

dsmithnc
05-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Hello good to have you here - from the middle part of the state. I kinda wish I was out where you are ... but it won't be long now before I'm much closer.

Hmmmmm....does that ring of a career change or perhaps retirement might be on your horizon?

Dick

benherrmann
05-11-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm in the Raleigh area and we visit western NC quite a bit. Let's see, what's Ashville's motto... "Altitude affects Attitude."

dsmithnc
05-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm in the Raleigh area and we visit western NC quite a bit. Let's see, what's Ashville's motto... "Altitude affects Attitude."

Sometimes, Ben the attitude is affected by MORE than the altitude. But that is indeed their motto.

We live about 15 miles south of downtown Asheville and 15 miles north of downtown Hendersonville in Fletcher. At one time it was a rail center and lots of agricultural products, stone products and chemicals were shipped out of this area. Not any more.

My wife and I get to both cities often, we both love downtown Asheville, it is a marvelously eclectic place, much to the chagrin of some old timers. Hendersonville has really recreated itself as a small, cozy downtown filled with shops to attract the tourist trade. And, as you know, there are all kinds of good restaurants in this area to keep one out of the kitchen for as long as desire and bank account allow!

My wife has relatives in Winston-Salem and also just south of Siler City. So we get that way now and then. We fully intend to get to Raleigh at least once next winter to watch the Hurricanes play.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the nice words of welcome.

Dick

AnnF
05-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Welcome, Dick. My folks are originally from MI. My youngest daughter & her husband live in Statesvill, NC. I was there in Feb for a short visit and she & I went to Grandfather Mountain when there was snow on it. Got some cool pictures.

Ann