PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oklahoma....

ablessg
05-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I just wanted to drop in and say hello as I plan on spending some time here:D. I am about to be a DSLR newbie later this week. I have an E-300 two lens kit on the way. I did a ton of research and was really torn between the E-500, D50, and the E-300. I finally decided that the best bang for my buck was going to be the E-300. I'm sure it will not let me down.

I've been participating in photography for many years now. I got my first camera, a Kodak 110 slim camera for Christmas one year around age 12. I saved up and bought my first SLR, a Minolta XG-1, when I was 15. That was about 1981 or so. I was on the digital bandwagon from the beginning. I think I spent almost a grand on a Kodak DC-40 in 1995. It is truly amazing how far digital photography has come in just 10 years!! I don't know how many digital cameras I have owned, but I never made the jump to DSLR until I ordered my E-300 last Friday. I am an Olympus fan, though. I have owned 2-3 Olympus digital cameras through the years. I had a 2040 for quite sometime and it was my favorite camera to hook up to my ETX-90RA telescope. I also owned a D-something (650 maybe?) 4mp point and shoot, as well.

I finally stuck with a camera for a while. It was my last camera; a Sony DSC-V1. It took great photos and I thoroughly enjoyed using it over the last 3 years. I am sad to see it move along, but it was time for me to move up to DSLR. Most of my photography over the past 10 years has pretty much just been snapshot photography. With the E-300, I hope to learn more about photography and take higher quality photos.

I'm looking forward to hanging out here for a long time!

timbertoes
05-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Greetings from just across the Red River :)

TooMuchCoffee
05-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Hi Ablessg! I used to live in Tulsa, and still go down there several times a year on business. I am sure you will enjoy your camera. Welcome to you from here in Douglas County Colorado!

If you are interested, I have some of my Tulsa photos posted at the UrbanOK website, http://urbanok.forumer.com. It is not a very active board, but we discuss all things Oklahoma.

benherrmann
05-23-2006, 07:15 AM
There's lots to learn here - that's for sure, and the gang here have unlimited talent within the 4/3 arena - enough to get you going, that's for sure.

I think you will find the E300 to have a "growing" effect on you. Although the E-1 obviously set the standard early on (and is still being sold in droves today), the E300 is another one of those cameras that continues to grow on you. Yes, it has its weaknesses, but I elected to keep that and sell my E500. Perhaps it was a "build issue," but the E300 is definitely more solidly built than the E500 - although the E500 has a better metering system in it.

Here are two examples (sorry, their size is a little bigger than the 700 x something that is recommended for this site). The American castle shot was taken at ISO 400 (in very difficult lighting - overly bright overcast skies which can often fool a meter into stopping down too much), whereas the cat photo was taken at ISO 800. The E300 can please big time. All shot in RAW and converted with Photoshop ACR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/benherrmann/Olympus%20E300%20images/MercerHomeview6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/benherrmann/Olympus%20E300%20images/Smudgy3-25-06three.jpg

ablessg
05-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!!

Timbertoes- Van Alistyne, huh? Home of interstate construction and speed traps. :D I have to drive down to Dallas about once a month and I am sooo glad they have got most of that road work done. Nothing like driving 55 mph from Sherman to McKinney!!

Toomuchcoffee- Thanks for the great link! I haven't seen that board before, but I have bookmarked it and will participate. It is a great board. Love the photos you have posted there.

benherrmann- I love the two photos. I've impressed that they were taken at the higher ISOs. To be honest, that was my main concern when I decided to buy the E-300. I especially love the cat photo. Being a dog person, I've always been interested in pet photography. I'm really looking forward to taking some shots of my Dachshunds !

Thanks again for the welcome. I can't wait until my camera arrives. :nailbiting:

jgdfotog
01-10-2008, 06:54 PM
:smile:Welcome. I own 2 E-300s' and like them very much. I also like Tulsa, especially the zoo.
Jim