PDA

View Full Version : June contest "Panning" - first attempt

Luke
06-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Just for your information: the white thing is an old ball.

http://users.skynet.be/luc.elst/contest/jb2.jpg

Comments and critique welcome.
Luc

AnnF
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Good colors and composition. I can't tell because of the blur, but are those shepherds (my favorite breed)? If you can catch them in focus with everything else a blur, I think that would be cool.

Ann

Luke
06-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Good colors and composition. I can't tell because of the blur, but are those shepherds (my favorite breed)? If you can catch them in focus with everything else a blur, I think that would be cool.

Ann
Thanks, Ann.
The breed is Belgian shepherd. The focus is actually on the dog but in order to have the panning movement in the background I set the shutter speed to 1/100th. As a dog is not a solid subject like a car, there is of course movement of legs, head and tail that can not be frozen by panning. If had used a faster shutter speed I might also have lost the panning effect. Although this shot has, because of that, a blurry look I decided that it emphasized the action and I wondered what the experts would say.
One confession: this photo is composed of two consecutive shots of the same dog.
Luc

Pavel
06-05-2006, 05:59 AM
That is a skilled composite Luke! I like the flow from one dog to the other too - something liquid like about it, almost gives me the feel of porpoises in the water.

It would have been even better if the heads happen to be frozen sharp - but I know how tough it is to get with dogs as they move up and down as well as forward.

AnnF
06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh very cool! I should have to try that sometime with my brother-in-law's frisbee dog!

Ann

Idanst
06-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Very cool picture. Great content and well technique.

But only one remark,
It would be more nice in my opinion if the dogs were not on the top of the picture but at the bottom