PDA

View Full Version : Jumping on the Oly boat

Sharkey
07-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Hello all,

Just a quick introduction from my side.
I'm Arjan Visser, soon 38. I life in the Netherlands, have a wonderfull girlfriend and two most lovely daughters (9 months and other 4 years old).

From child on I was always interested in the "art" of photography.
My first experience was with a camera I found by the trash at age 10.
But because my parents weren't loaded I didn't get the chance to fully experience this field.
At about age 25, I think, I got myself a Minolta 404Si SLR. Boy I enjoyed that thing.
Then around 33 I bought my first digital, the Fuji S602 Zoom. A new world opened for me. I could read and write with that thing.
I used to have a website with my old ISP with over 200 pics I took from my oldest daughter and vacations, but thats gone now, and I dont have the space or time to make it again on my new ISP.
Even did 2 weddings with it. One for my sister in law and 1 "commercial".
I love that camera, but I longed for more, especially for low light conditions

A month ago I finally raised enough money to get myself the E-500+2 lens kit. Later this week I get a 14-54 send over here I won on ebay.
BTW could you imaging that a day after I closed this deal (410 euro) I got the oppertunity to buy myself a E-1 + 14-54 for 574 euro's :eek: But I had to decline that offer or my girlfriend would have gone MAD i think:nailbiting:
I don't have time enough to fully enjoy it up to now, so there is still much to learn. But what I did with it, I do enjoy.
Consider me a enthousiastic novice......

So in the upcoming time expect me to "bug" you all with a lot of questions, I have now or soon will have.:p

PS: just made myself a Flickr account, so you can see some of what I do, please feel free to say anything bout them........
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharkey_e500/

3dpan
07-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Welcome Sharkey,

I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum.

Though I think the phrase in English is to "bug" someone with questions. There is an "edit" tab underneath your post if you wish to correct it before too many people read your faux pas.

Cheers,
Alec

Sharkey
07-09-2006, 05:41 AM
:shy:

3dpan
07-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Well done.

Alec

llpoolej
07-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Welcome Arjan! Your photos are very nice and you will love your 14- 54. Your next purchase will just have to be the 50-200. My very favorite lens.

Glad to have you hear and enjoy the site :)

Julie

blueridgegirl
07-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Welcome, Arjan! I know you will like it here. I too have an E-500 and a 4-year old daughter. :D

I looked at your flickr pics and they are great!

Look forward to seeing more pics and posts from you! :D

TooMuchCoffee
07-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi Sharkey! Welcome to you from the beautiful state of Colorado! I think all of us guys with women in our lives can relate...hard to press our luck and buy all the toys we want. :) I am looking forward to your input into this forum.

TMC

AnnF
07-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Welcome! I liked the colorful bird shot, and the one of the baby with blue eyes. I like some of your "projects". Looking forward to more.

Ann

NrthrnHrse
07-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Try explaining to your husband why you "have to have" a particular lens. LOL. Not any easier. ;)

TooMuchCoffee
07-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Try explaining to your husband why you "have to have" a particular lens. LOL. Not any easier. ;)Yep..."Why do you need another lens? You already have 2 or three. Isn't that point & shoot good enough? I take pictures with it, and they look just fine."

:D

Sharkey
07-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Thank you all for your warm welcome. :D

Oh btw, made a new "photocard" yesterday: Rose in Grey. Hope you like it....

And your all very right "bout boys and toys":
"Why a new lens? What's wrong with the other(s)? What ???? How much?
They all make pictures.... sooo.....??!!??!!!
Mmmmm, I see nothing wrong with that picture.....!"

But...but.... :blink: :ranting:

Hahahaha....

Anyways, thanks....

Allo
07-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Thank you all for your warm welcome. :D

Oh btw, made a new "photocard" yesterday: Rose in Grey. Hope you like it....

And your all very right "bout boys and toys":
"Why a new lens? What's wrong with the other(s)? What ???? How much?
They all make pictures.... sooo.....??!!??!!!
Mmmmm, I see nothing wrong with that picture.....!"

But...but.... :blink: :ranting:

Hahahaha....

Anyways, thanks....

:D Hahahaha, so true! I had the same things said to me by my wife. lol

Welcome here, Enjoy your stay!

llpoolej
07-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Believe it or not, it is me saying "No, we can't have another lens right now". I lust after the 150f2 and 35-100 probably more than my husband, but I also hate to part with the cash!!!

AnnF
07-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Yup, so true! My husband was so supportive that he wanted me to get whatever it was that I needed, as long as we could afford it.:smile:

Carloskbco
07-15-2006, 10:26 AM
I saw your "flicks" on flickr, they are very nice...I have a 5 yr old daughter, so I really enjoyed the shots of your daughters...

Hope to see more of your pics,

Carlos

Sharkey
07-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks Carlos.

I will put more pictures on Flick in the near future.
However work is holding me back to spend more time on photography atm.
I dont even have time to learn my E-500, but all in due time.....

Will post my "Sunday pic" on our WDYSPPTW later today or later this week.

Oh, and you do have a lovely daughter Carlos. Also saw more photos of her on that other forum (think it where the 50mm portrait photos, right?).

BTW I got my 14-54 ths week :D
I bought it by e-bay and I saw it was dropped at 1 time (little chip out of back of zoom ring, just behind the rubber grip) but to my knowledge I dont find anything wrong with it. Any advice what to look for if this fall had non obvious negative effects on the lens?